Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1684 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Usyk plans cruiserweight return after Fury rematch

Undisputed heavyweight champion Oleksandr Usyk could return to the cruiserweight division after his rematch with Tyson Fury in December.

The Ukrainian became boxing's first four-belt undisputed heavyweight champion with a split decision victory over Fury in Saudi Arabia in May.

The 37-year-old will face Fury again on 21 December, but could then decide to drop down to cruiserweight again.

"I think maybe after the rematch, I am going to go down in weight to cruiserweight. I want more [fights at] cruiserweight," Usyk told the '3 Knockdown Rule' , externalpodcast.

"Maybe I can be undisputed for a second time in the cruiserweight division, it's my plan. When I start to prepare for my training camp [as a heavyweight], I have to eat all the time. For me it's hard, I don't like it."

Usyk moved up to the heavyweight division in 2019, having previously been the undisputed cruiserweight champion.

He weighed in at 16st (224lb), the heaviest of his career, for his fight with Fury.

It remains to be seen whether December's rematch will be for the undisputed championship.

Usyk has requested an exception from the IBF, which has previously said he would be stripped of his title if he did not fight his mandatory challenger.

The sanctioning body is considering Usyk's request.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/articles/ckvv3g553q2o
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Usyk plans cruiserweight return after Fury rematch

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Undisputed heavyweight champion Oleksandr Usyk could return to the cruiserweight division after his rematch with Tyson Fury in December.

The Ukrainian became boxing's first four-belt undisputed heavyweight champion with a split decision victory over Fury in Saudi Arabia in May.

The 37-year-old will face Fury again on 21 December, but could then decide to drop down to cruiserweight again.

"I think maybe after the rematch, I am going to go down in weight to cruiserweight. I want more [fights at] cruiserweight," Usyk told the '3 Knockdown Rule' , externalpodcast.

"Maybe I can be undisputed for a second time in the cruiserweight division, it's my plan. When I start to prepare for my training camp [as a heavyweight], I have to eat all the time. For me it's hard, I don't like it."

Usyk moved up to the heavyweight division in 2019, having previously been the undisputed cruiserweight champion.

He weighed in at 16st (224lb), the heaviest of his career, for his fight with Fury.

It remains to be seen whether December's rematch will be for the undisputed championship.

Usyk has requested an exception from the IBF, which has previously said he would be stripped of his title if he did not fight his mandatory challenger.

aaaaaaaaaaand just like I said he will suffer the same fate as Roy Jones did when he went back down after fighting that big Ruiz guy and the other heavyweight. Took too much out of him and was never the same. That mandible and those ribs got cracked too many times and after the rematch they're going to get cracked some more even if he squeaks by by another point. Going back to cruiserweight after that? Good luck

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by NoSavingByTheBell View Post

It remains to be seen whether December's rematch will be for the undisputed championship

aaaaaaaaaaand just like I said he will suffer the same fate as Roy Jones did when he went back down after fighting that big Ruiz guy and the other heavyweight. Took too much out of him and was never the same. That mandible and those ribs got cracked too many times and after the rematch they're going to get cracked some more even if he squeaks by by another point. Going back to cruiserweight after that? Good luck
    So has this already happened? “Just like you said?
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This may be just talk, but if he can do this, it would cement his legacy.
    Let’s get it straight,if he beats Fury again, he would have nothing to prove in the HW division.
    If he could go back to CW , beat the likes of Opetaia and become undisputed again, that would be nothing short of Incredible.
    Btw. What a fucking fight Usyk v Opetaia would be.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    429 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I dunno. In reality and credentials Usyk can do anything he likes at this point especially after he scores a tko over Fury in the rematch . Maybe both the current hvy king and the current cruiser king can do boxing a huge favor and meet at Bridgerweight. With the winner promptly walking over the nearest bin and dropping the trinket right into it. But I've never been big on heavyweights dropping back down after moving up. Most do at the tail end and it goes bad. Or you get the extreme case like the time Chris Byrd convinced himself he could drop back to 175 at the end and it was a very brutal sight. But of course Usyk is cut from a totally different cloth. First things first, go on and outclass Fury at Christmas.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    I dunno. In reality and credentials Usyk can do anything he likes at this point especially after he scores a tko over Fury in the rematch . Maybe both the current hvy king and the current cruiser king can do boxing a huge favor and meet at Bridgerweight. With the winner promptly walking over the nearest bin and dropping the trinket right into it. But I've never been big on heavyweights dropping back down after moving up. Most do at the tail end and it goes bad. Or you get the extreme case like the time Chris Byrd convinced himself he could drop back to 175 at the end and it was a very brutal sight. But of course Usyk is cut from a totally different cloth. First things first, go on and outclass Fury at Christmas.
    Yep going back down would be a huge mistake and he's already an old man

Mentioned
    532 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I have a lot of respect for Usyk. Here's a guy who had always campaigned as a cruiserweight, then goes up to HW. All he does there is beat Joshua twice, and add a victory over the much bigger Fury. The two biggest names at heavyweight. Quietly. Not a lot of talk or bluster. Just goes out and does his job.

Cruiser isn't a very popular division, so cruisers can't be blamed when they reach for the glory weights. Many of them fail miserably. But Usyk has done extremely well. Now he's talking about going back to cruiser. Don't know how it's gonna go for him, but IMO he's already cemented his place among the all-time greats.

For me, the likes of Usyk, Bivol and Beterbiev and prime examples of great fighters who aren't drama queens. Fury gets entirely too tiring with his basket case charades. Wilder has always had a strange personality. Even Joshua has had his weird moments.

We need more guys like these at the top. When talks of p4p crop up, I like to think of guys like Usyk, Bivol, and Beterbiev. Add to that list Inoue (#1 for me) and a handful of others who just fight (and win) without the sideshows.

Mentioned
    184 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post

This may be just talk, but if he can do this, it would cement his legacy.
    Let’s get it straight,if he beats Fury again, he would have nothing to prove in the HW division.
    If he could go back to CW , beat the likes of Opetaia and become undisputed again, that would be nothing short of Incredible.
    Btw. What a fucking fight Usyk v Opetaia would be.
    Usyk has already cemented his legacy and he has nothing else to prove in any division. He should offer Canelo Alvarez a fight at a catchweight and then walk away with his pot of gold. Usyk isn't like that tho, he'll honor the rematch if Fury still wants it because that's what great fighters do.
    They live, We sleep

Mentioned
    1684 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I am baffled why he would want to go back down in weight. Usyk has nothing else to prove if he wins the rematch.

Realistically it must be the challenge and money of facing Canelo.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I am baffled why he would want to go back down in weight. Usyk has nothing else to prove if he wins the rematch.

Realistically it must be the challenge and money of facing Canelo.
    Fury cracked his mandibles which splintered up into his brain and now he wants John The Quiet Man Ruiz

Thread Information