Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Remedies for Fighters

Remedies for Fighters
    There have been several herbs, supplements, and concoctions that get mentioned every now and then that are very helpful especially in dealing with the regular fighter's list of physical troubles. Below you'll find a lot of what's been mentioned in this forum in the past along with some nice additions. If any of YOU guy's have found something that works for you, you're more than welcome to add to the list. Enjoy.

Arnica- It's a healing herb that has been used for ages to treat sore muscles, bruises, swelling, sprains, fractures as well as other conditions. Many boxers and trainers swear by it, and some won't go on without it (eg. Ricky Hatton ). You can get it in a cream/liniment applied topically, or even in the little helper forms that you can ingest. Arnica works great when combined with MSM (which can also come in a cream), that works side by side to reduce inflamation and promote healing. As Scrap has mentioned, you can also mix in Calendula cream together which will work like gang busters for healing cuts and bruises.

Aloe Vera-
    It's good news in the healing department (say burns, cuts and bruises), as well as dealing with Acid Reflux and constipation. I've even found Aloe Vera as an herbal tooth paste, this is a godsend if you ever get those annoying little cuts in your mouth that you'd like to go away sooner.

Comfrey-
    Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Comfrey herb smashed into a pultise and wrapped around your knuckle.
    It was known as bone knit herb for obvious reasons.
    Comfrey can be cancer forming if taken internally in large doses,so it is banned in lots of places.
    but health food shops or private herbalists are still in the know on who supplies fresh plants.(grows like a weed so buy your own plant).
    Zheng Gu Shui- I first heard about this from Ross Enamait. It's chinese cocktail of healing herbs that come in liniment used for healing and pain relief that a lot guys swear by. It improves circulation, and I've read that using it can help broken bones heal faster.

Tiger Balm- It has some of the same active ingredients as Zheng Gu Shui, it's also used for pain relief and promotes blood circulation where applied.

Epson Salts-
    Dissolved into a bath it can help you relax, and works well with relieving much of the aches and pains that come from a hard fight.

ACV (Apple Cider Vinegar)-

Ginger-

Inosotol-

Melatonin-

etc...
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Remedies for Fighters

Some good ideas there Chris.

I like tea tree oils. They serve as both anaesthaestics and disinfectants

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah the best oil for bruises etc I ever used had a large proportion f Eucalyptus oil in it plus a few other random things to add a little heat etc to it. Oddly enough while the main ingredient was Australian it was made locally by Chinese people and called something like Quan Loong. Excellent stuff!

I used it a lot when i kickboxed because it would decrease the bruising and swelling on my shins quite significantly. I haven't ever really thought to use it since though.

Apart from that i'd like to get into using more herbs when i cook - i have a book full of the top 100 immunity boosters which i could recommend as a reference but i think that would fall into general nutrition rather than remedies i guess.

"The Top 100 Immunity Boosters by Charlotte Haigh".

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I use melatonin alot,Im not one of natures good sleepers,I also recomend it for fighters who have a fight coming up. Lets face it,the guy will get ramped up and not get enough sleep leading in to a fight. Its hard enough to get in to a fight,you dont have to be sleep deprived as well.
    Tiger balm and mineral ice are essentials for the older fighter,Dragon Balm is even better if you can find it.
    A crushed Sudafed swabbed in the nose on a regular basis will keep you from bleeding as often from it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't know if this is one really just for fighters but i don't think it's unusual for people to feel like their immunity is a bit low when either training hard or just being flat out with whatever.

I find half a lemon squeezed into hot water for a lemon tea with my breakfast every morning helps keep colds at bay before they set in and has heaps of vitamin C in it.

................still not sure if i'm post appropriate things in this - whether it could be called a remedy or just nutrition - sorry if i'm screwing up your thread Chris!

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Theres a Book Ive got great for this sort of thing, its called Back To Eden Jethro Kloss recommend.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Customer Image Gallery for Back To Eden

Just found it - not too pricey either! Maybe i'll make it an early Christmas pressie to me

Thanks for the recommendation Scrap

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Even better it's in the library for free

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I've been using Traumeel for my sore muscles and it works wonders.

Thread Information