Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Poll: What next for JMM?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What next forJMM?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default What next forJMM?

I sincerely hope Marquez doesn't retire on the back of the Pacquiao scoring debacle. It would be a sad end to a truly great career (albeit a remarkable performance on which to finish) and there's no doubt that JMM proved he still has plenty left in the tank at this moment in time.

What's more, there are several intriguing fights out there for JMM at 135, 140 and possibly higher, given the strength of Saturday's performance.

Lets assume he doesn't see the point in a fourth Pacquiao fight. Lets also assume a second Mayweather clash doesn't appear on the horizon. Which of the following fights would you be most interested in seeing?

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: What next forJMM?

Quote Originally Posted by Prosinecki View Post
    I sincerely hope Marquez doesn't retire on the back of the Pacquiao scoring debacle. It would be a sad end to a truly great career (albeit a remarkable performance on which to finish) and there's no doubt that JMM proved he still has plenty left in the tank at this moment in time.

What's more, there are several intriguing fights out there for JMM at 135, 140 and possibly higher, given the strength of Saturday's performance.

Lets assume he doesn't see the point in a fourth Pacquiao fight. Lets also assume a second Mayweather clash doesn't appear on the horizon. Which of the following fights would you be most interested in seeing?
    None of those fights though can make JMM the $ that a Pac fight makes him other than Mayweather. After last weekend, I bet he makes more $ in his next fight against Pacquiao than against anyone else. Rumors abound and you never know until HBO releases the official numbers, but the rumor is that the fight had 1.5M ppv's, which if true, makes it the most bought ppv since De La Hoya fought Mayweather. Right? In any event, irrespective of anything, he definitely has more leverage going into the 4th installment. The only other fight out of the ones you mention that makes financial sense is Cotto, but Cotto has a tough fight in December.

Marquez has a good angle too: Marquez: Ball is in My Court, 4th Pacquiao Fight in Mexico! - Boxing News

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Id like to see jmm in with kahn after peterson (if he wins) Give kahn a real test! Lahns bin shooting his mouth off bout pbf etc since beating paulie mag+ judah, not great names tests anymore in my opinion! Kahns speed v marquez experence, could be a good fight and a belt for jmm if he wins

Mentioned
    429 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I gotta see that damn fight!

It sounds as though Marquez fought one of the finest game plans of his career and he should insist on being payed accordingly. That and call out manny in every public forum he has. Honestly half those guys are sideway steps if that and risk-reward not to mention merit yells loud. He most likely will keep weight on at this point and age as he should. Maybe Pacs honor will get the better of him and 4th in meehico sounds about right.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post
    None of those fights though can make JMM the $ that a Pac fight makes him other than Mayweather. After last weekend, I bet he makes more $ in his next fight against Pacquiao than against anyone else. Rumors abound and you never know until HBO releases the official numbers, but the rumor is that the fight had 1.5M ppv's, which if true, makes it the most bought ppv since De La Hoya fought Mayweather. Right? In any event, irrespective of anything, he definitely has more leverage going into the 4th installment. The only other fight out of the ones you mention that makes financial sense is Cotto, but Cotto has a tough fight in December.

Marquez has a good angle too: Marquez: Ball is in My Court, 4th Pacquiao Fight in Mexico! - Boxing News
    Agreed. This was meant to be more of a fantasy matchup thread rather than 'what do you think will actually happen next' thread. Although I seriously doubt whether Arum will let Pacquiao fight JMM in Mexico.

I think a lot of those fights would be very interesting indeed. On the weekends performance I'd make Marquez favourite in all of them bar Cotto. I think JMM would take Rios, Bradley and Maidana apart.

A Cotto fight would have been unthinkable before Saturday but now it seems a realistic possibility, assuming Cotto comes out of December 3rd alive and can cut the weight to 147 or an agreed catchweight. I personally would love to see it next year, if at all possible.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Agreed. This was meant to be more of a fantasy matchup thread rather than 'what do you think will actually happen next' thread. Although I seriously doubt whether Arum will let Pacquiao fight JMM in Mexico.

I think a lot of those fights would be very interesting indeed. On the weekends performance I'd make Marquez favourite in all of them bar Cotto. I think JMM would take Rios, Bradley and Maidana apart.

A Cotto fight would have been unthinkable before Saturday but now it seems a realistic possibility, assuming Cotto comes out of December 3rd alive and can cut the weight to 147 or an agreed catchweight. I personally would love to see it next year, if at all possible.
    I hear ya. I like Khan over JMM and Cotto.

And a fight in Mexico against Marquez would be a great pr move for Pacquiao right now. Don't you think?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Absolutely. Put it on in the Azteca in front of 100,000 people.

Just don't screw Marquez on the scorecards if you wanna make it out alive.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Absolutely. Put it on in the Azteca in front of 100,000 people.

Just don't screw Marquez on the scorecards if you wanna make it out alive.
    Don't act like it was Pacquiao scoring the fight. He is just the boxer.

Completely though - it would be sensational in that kind of setting. It really would be.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Pac has just demanded a 4th bout and that's the only way to go..

Pac is next...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Completely though - it would be sensational in that kind of setting. It really would be.
    I was referring to Arum rather than Pacquiao!

Check out the Plaza de Toros as well, also in Mexico City. It's where the Canelo/Cintron fight is in a couple of weeks. Looks like a great setting for boxing (it's usually a bullring).

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I was referring to Arum rather than Pacquiao!

Check out the Plaza de Toros as well, also in Mexico City. It's where the Canelo/Cintron fight is in a couple of weeks. Looks like a great setting for boxing (it's usually a bullring).
    Where is Marquez from? Does he live in Mexico City?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yep. Born and raised.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Regardless of his performance it's still getting close to quitting time for Marquez. I think he should take one last farewell fight and call it a career. Doesn't have to be a big name. An easy opponent like Ricky Burns would be fine. They can find a similar opponent for his brother and have them both go out together. They both fought the best and have nothing left to prove. More importantly there both financially set.

Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

May as well make a fortune off another sell out Pac fight in Mexico.
    Go for more money and retire even easier.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Demise View Post
    Regardless of his performance it's still getting close to quitting time for Marquez. I think he should take one last farewell fight and call it a career. Doesn't have to be a big name. An easy opponent like Ricky Burns would be fine. They can find a similar opponent for his brother and have them both go out together. They both fought the best and have nothing left to prove. More importantly there both financially set.
    Morales would be perfect for an easy farewell fight. Although a MEGAFIGHT against the global superstar that is Ricky Burns would also be good.

Agreed that he has nothing less to prove, but he still has much still to offer if he wants to. Saturday showed that. Winning a title at 140 could be on his wishlist before retiring, which would mean one of Morales, Bradley or possibly Khan, if he wants him before he moves to 147. Personally I think he beats all three, although the Khan fight would be very interesting indeed.

I guess ideally I'd want Mayweather/Pacquiao and Khan/Marquez next spring/summer, with Pacquiao/Marquez IV in Mexico following that, whatever happens.

Thread Information