Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Juan Diaz

www.fightnews.com

"It was also announced that WBA lightweight champion Juan "Baby Bull" Diaz (30-0, 15KOs) will be defending his world title for the fifth time against WBA #11 Fernando Angulo (18-3, 12KOs)."

WTF

Beating Lakva Sim for the title, at his age, was impressive. But since then he's defended the title against: Randy Suico, Julian Lorcey, Billy Irwin, Jose Cotto and now this guy. Not exactly murderer's row. This fight really annoys me because I love to watch Diaz fight, I love the combinations, the activity, I really like the guy but its hard to accept the level of opposition he's fought since he won the title. Now he signs with Don King instead of Oscar and his first fight is this Next fight absolutely HAS to be a step up in opposition over what he's fought, one of my favorite fighters to watch but this is just getting to be too much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Juan Diaz

He will fight a couple more journeyman before he hits the big time, they don't want him to get KO'd before they can hype him as the man, a Hatton fight would be a great mega fight for him, also Castillo or Corrales but he will stay away from those fighter for a while, Raheem or Frietas would be solid opponents that he is ready for now.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A raheem or Freitas would be fine.

It doesn't even have to be a Corrales or a Hatton (definitely not that cause I don't think he's ready for 140) but it needs to be a step up over what he's been fighting. Julio Diaz would be a step up. I just don't think a titleholder should be allowed to fight this many journeyman/mediocre guys in a row. I'm a big fan but if somebody criticizes his opposition there's nothing that I could say. It deserves to be criticized because he's a champion.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I like Diaz but I think his weakness is his lack of snap in his punches. I think Corrales would beat him quite badly. I agree though,he needs to fight more dangerous fighters but I guess their thinking is that he is young, and they will build him up slowly I guess. I'd like to see a Freitas fight,I'd fancy the old big banging Frietas but this herky jerky unpredictable one,it would be a good fight.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Gamo
    I like Diaz but I think his weakness is his lack of snap in his punches. I think Corrales would beat him quite badly. I agree though,he needs to fight more dangerous fighters but I guess their thinking is that he is young, and they will build him up slowly I guess. I'd like to see a Freitas fight,I'd fancy the old big banging Frietas but this herky jerky unpredictable one,it would be a good fight.
    He doesn't have much power but he does a lot of things well (handspeed, better defensively than you would think and he's not really that one dimensional, can jab and box a little) and even with the lack of power you look at guys he fights in the 12th round and they just seem to want it to end, constantly getting hit flush, whether there's a lot of power behind the shots or not, can take a guys heart.

I'm reserving all judgement on Corrales till I see him again. My guess is he's on the shot side, could be wrong.

I think he could beat Freitas unless he just can't take the power. I don't see Freitas outboxing him.

Either way, he needs to step it up, this fight is just flat out dissapointing.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree that he does alot of things well but the lack of power will come into play somewhere surely. There is alot to like about him but I can't say I am a fan as I have yet to see him go to the trenches,yet to see him fight someone I think could pose a BIG threat to him.

I disagree on the Corrales statement and being a big fan,I hope you're wrong!! I think that the rest period will have done him good and it's not as if Casamayor has concussive power to damage Diego a la Castillo.

As for Freitas,I wish he would just stay as the banger rather than trying to box,it's really horrible movement at times and I just think he is more effective as the power puncher. However,mabye his power is over rated? He couldn't really hurt Corrales,Raheem and Casamayor hurt him more than he hurt Joel so maybe it's not world class power?

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I can't stand watching Freitas' new spasmodic style. Watch him run from one side of the ring to the other to throw a right hand and then cry. Repeat. Gets a bit old.

Yep Diaz has not fought somebody that could pose a big threat yet, thats why I'm dissapointed in this fight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This is bullmalarchy. Juan's young, but he's ready for bigger matches than this. On the other hand, many of the better match ups mentioned here are with people who are already engaged with other fights.

The question to me is what is Juan's true potential? He can fight, but without power, any power at all, it's tough to imagine him as a true champion.

Some may disagree but I think that Julio Diaz is a better fighter with a brighter future. Julio is tough as nails and has knockout power with both hands.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I like Diaz he has shown a lot of heart in his fights but IMO hes undefeated cause he hasn't fought anyone meaningful and the second he does he will loose.

How about the battled of the Diazs? 'The Kid' Diaz vs. 'Baby Bull' Diaz?

Thread Information