Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Eastman V Williams

Howard Eastman hopes to get back to winning ways on December 15th when he takes on Richard 'The Secret' Williams at York Hall Bethnall Green for the vacant British middleweight title.

'The Battersea Bomber' is looking to end a three fight losing streak, which culminated in his first stoppage loss of his career back in March against big punching Columbian Edison Miranda. Eastman has also dropped decisions to Arthur Abraham and most notably Bernard Hopkins for the undisputed world middleweight title.

The loss to Hopkins was no surprise. Plenty of pundits (myself included) thought Howard had a shot, but it wasn't to be. Eastman put in a limp performance, much like he did against William Joppy five years earlier for the WBA middleweight title. Eastmans loss to Arthur Abraham however was a little different. Not only had he dropped another decision, he had been beaten by a fellow European, a continent Eastman had ruled without equal for the previous five years. The loss to Abraham was no disgrace, Abraham has gone on to win the IBF version of the world middleweight title and successfully defend it against Eastman conqueror Edison Miranda. Whilst it was no disgrace it did signify a changing of the guard. Eastman had come up short on the world stage, he was now second best at European level, he now has to fight to prove that he is still the best in Britain.

For Richard Williams this represents a new start. From 2000 to 2003 Williams racked up a number of impressive wins without gaining much attention, hence the nickname 'The Secret'. He beat Toney Badea for the Commonwealth light middleweight title. He also held wins over solid opposition such as Howard Clarke, Hussain Osman, Paul Samuels and Shannon Taylor. Williams picked up the IBO light middleweight title for his win over Taylor. In June of 2003 Williams defended his title against brilliant Argentinian Sergio Gabriel Martinez and was soundly beaten on points. Things got worse for Williams as he attempted to regain his old title from Martinez in April 2004. Martinez was fresh off of a win over fellow Brit Adrian Stone and he was simply too good for Williams, stopping him in the ninth round. Williams has since added three low key wins at middleweight to his leger.

Although the fresher man, at 35 years of age Richard Williams has not got time on his side. If he is to make strides towards world or more realistically European honours he must get past Eastman and do it well. The chinks in Eastmans armour have started to show and Williams must feel that the old warrior is ripe for the taking.

Eastman is certainly in the twighlight of his career. He has had his world title shots and failed every time. Should he fail at British title level it really will be curtains for him. He has entertained us all (not always with his boxing it has to be said) for going on thirteen years. If the British title is out of his reach he must surely call time on a successfull but frustrating career.

When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Eastman V Williams

Does Howard have enough left in the tank or is it curtains for the mad fucker?
    When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think this goes all the way to a close points decision mate,both have been in with some great fighters and it's a case of Harrison/Williams for me (Last chance saloon).
    To be honest i think Eastman may win by whisker of his silly beard.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Both underachievers

If Williams had been mentally tougher he could of been seriously good. If Eastman wasn't a complete loon he could of wiped the floor with the likes of Joppy etc

They're friends so I expect a cagey sort of fight with Williams doing far more to win clearly on points.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Agreed Fenster i think Eastman has gone a bit gun shy i fancy Williams he is much the fresher man i fancy UD Williams.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bookies (rightfully) have nut nut as favourite

Fancy Williams cause i think he'll be scoring whilst Eastmans poncing around posing, although a bit worried I'm underestimating Eastman...plus he did stop Williams as amateurs
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Thread Information