Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  6
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: Eusebio Pedroza: Barry McGuigan pays tribute as former world champion dies

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1684 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Eusebio Pedroza: Barry McGuigan pays tribute as former world champion dies

Eusebio Pedroza, the boxer Barry McGuigan defeated to memorably become world featherweight champion in 1985, has died, aged 62.

Panamanian Pedroza held the WBA featherweight title for more than seven years before a points loss to McGuigan.

A UK television audience of 19 million people watched the Loftus Road bout.

The WBA said Pedroza had battled pancreatic cancer, adding he "was a worthy world champion and above all a great human being".

Irish fighter McGuigan, who was named BBC Sport Personality of the Year in 1985 after beating Pedroza, tweeted: "A sad day for me as my rival and outstanding world featherweight champion Eusebio Pedroza passes away. It was a pleasure to share the ring with him."

Pedroza won the world title aged 22 and defended the belt 19 times, making him one of the longest-reigning champions in featherweight history.

A WBA statement read: "Pedroza died at 62 years of age. Initially he was confined in the hospital struggling with pancreatic cancer, but later he was sent home where he continued to fight until the final bell rang early this morning."

After his unanimous points defeat by McGuigan, Pedroza fought five more times, retiring in 1992 with a record of 41 wins, six losses and a draw.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/boxing/47423622
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    532 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Eusebio Pedroza: Barry McGuigan pays tribute as former world champion dies

R.I.P., champ.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Eusebio Pedroza: Barry McGuigan pays tribute as former world champion dies

I feel like an idiot but I’ve never heard of him and I think of myself as at least pretty knowledgeable of boxing history (although admittedly I haven’t really studied its history for some years now).

Mentioned
    1684 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Pedroza was a tough and rough champion who held the title for a long time. I think it was expected that he would lose his title fights but kept on defending them successfully. He was dirty and strong who was very durable. The day he lost to Barry he got knocked down but still fought his heart out to try and win.

RIP champ.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This was just before I got onto boxing and I remember hearing my dad in the other room keep shouting "come on Barry lad" and getting more and more animated.

I went through near the end and though my dad was obviously still rooting for Barry I still to this day clearly remember him saying "by he's a bloody good champion is this lad".

I've just watched the highlights of that fight and can see why he said it. Pedroza showed remarkable recovery during that fight when hurt.

Not sure how much of a hero he still is in Panama?

Rip sir
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    532 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

https://www.proboxing-fans.com/boxin...manian-boxers/

"Top 5 Best Panamanian Boxers"

Some people have him 3rd..... others 2nd or 4th (Ismael Laguna was pretty revered also). But he was definitely top 5 for sure.

Mentioned
    429 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Rest in peace champion. Crazy to think about the transformation and dominance he would have after being so brutally crushed on v Zamora. Added weight to fit that big frame and turned into a boxing machine notorious for growing stronger down the stretch and not adverse to using every trick and or elbow in the book . McGuigan was pretty classy there and Pedroza gave him credit as strongest opponent he faced.

Thread Information