Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Shut up Calzaghe... Bernard Hopkins

Hopkins livid over Calzaghe's comments

Posted December 13th 2008 at 12:17am
    By Michael Rosenthal

Buzz up!

Bernard Hopkins has two words for Joe Calzaghe: “Shut up.”

Calzaghe, THE RING light heavyweight champ who is mulling retirement, told the Associated Press a few days ago that he’s glad he’ll soon be leaving the sport because it’s in dire shape.

“I think boxing is a dying sport. Globally – in America for instance – you've got UFC, which has taken a lot off boxing, business-wise," Calzaghe said.

He went on: “There is too much politics in boxing, too many belts and too many champions, which dilutes real champions like myself. There are four world champions in each division and it's bad because there are no stars any more. It's a big problem.”

Calzaghe also took a shot at boxing in the United States, pointing out that only one American (Deontay Wilder) won a medal in the 2008 Olympics.

“America only had one medalist in the Olympics this year," Calzaghe said. "In Britain, we did pretty good, but I'm glad I'm ending my career and not starting it because I don't think it's going to be that great in the future.”

Hopkins, who lost a close decision to Calzaghe in April and wants a rematch, finds Calzaghe’s comments both interesting and infuriating, the latter because of his enduring love of the sport and probably because it remains his livlihood.

The former middleweight titleholder pointed out that Calzaghe does not attract many fans outside his native Wales, meaning he’s part of the problem. Even Englishman Ricky Hatton, Hopkins said, has a bigger following than Calzaghe.

“I don’t know where he’s been, on Mars or something,” Hopkins said. “Maybe he missed the numbers that (Oscar De La Hoya-Manny Pacquaio) generated – 1.25 million pay-per-view buys in a recession. That’s 70, 80 million dollars in revenue. And he’s says boxing is dead?

“Maybe it’s dead when he fights.”

Hopkins was just getting started.

“If he wants to retire, he should go ahead and retire and keep his mouth shut. He has his wins (this year), his undefeated record. He should go join his family. Other than that, he should shut up. And tell him Bernard says that.”

Calzaghe wasn’t finished either. He also made some comments about De La Hoya after his dismal performance on Saturday, indicating that he didn’t want to go out in a similar manner.

“De La Hoya hasn’t been a real fighter for years,” he told walesonline.co.uk. “You can’t fault the guy because he has been a great fighter in the past and made so much money from the sport. But, realistically, he has been a part-time boxer for years.”

De La Hoya has fought four times in the past 2½ years.

“That’s jealousy, envy,” said Hopkins, a partner in De La Hoya’s Golden Boy Promotions. “They [Calzaghe vs. Roy Jones Jr.] didn’t do well on pay-per-view, under 300,000. So when you start hearing things like that, it’s just jealousy. …

“It’s easy to kick someone when they’re down. I’m not saying this because I’m his friend and a partner, but Oscar’s record speaks for itself. Look at what he’s acccomplished over 20 years.”

Tell him Nard
    Keep on Punchin"
    C.J.
    Hidden Content we love C.J.Hidden Content

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Shut up Calzaghe... Bernard Hopkins

Bhop is right, Joe is part of the problem. By protecting himself over the years and keeping himself away from the rest of the world. Joe is retiring a bitter men cause the rest of the world dont see him as great as he sees himself.

I think GBP and Top Rank has been investing and promoting fighters from Mexico and Philippines cause they have fighters that are willing to come outside their country and fight all comers. Thats exactly what boxing needs. Not these undefeated fighters with pamperred records. I see floyd has a part of the problem too. He was p4p king and he only takes on big money fight and when his not doing that he pulls out the im retired card.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It would be good after what's been such a brilliant year for him, Joe would just stop bitchin bout everythin'. He's been in the news a fair bit recently almost always complainin bout sumfin & goin on bout how great he is (altho I do agree with his recent Froch comments). But for a guy who a year ago I would have had in my favourite 3 fighters, I have to say I am startin to sour on him
    Last edited by JazMerkin; 12-14-2008 at 01:12 AM.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm w/Bhop,

Joe, STFU.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Joe is full of it man, he does some dumb shit in and out of the ring. like dancing like a moron, sticking his face in roys grill, humping others, now bad mouthing his own sport. Arrogant assclown

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bernard is right on this one.
    Calzaghe should be loosing a lot of fans.
    He should take the rematch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Julius Rain View Post
    Bhop is right, Joe is part of the problem. By protecting himself over the years and keeping himself away from the rest of the world. Joe is retiring a bitter men cause the rest of the world dont see him as great as he sees himself.

I think GBP and Top Rank has been investing and promoting fighters from Mexico and Philippines cause they have fighters that are willing to come outside their country and fight all comers. Thats exactly what boxing needs. Not these undefeated fighters with pamperred records. I see floyd has a part of the problem too. He was p4p king and he only takes on big money fight and when his not doing that he pulls out the im retired card.
    That's exactly right.. Any fighter that realises they are close to the top of the game, needs to actively go out and fight the BEST competition out there... The may come up short and realise they weren't the absolute best.. But you can't shield yourself for a good portion of your career, then come out 3 fights from the end to fight 'previous' greats, and then try to claim you've fought the best your whole career..... It's only him that suffers now for not coming out and seeking the very best, earlier... And proving it to himself and everyone else one way or the other, if he is the very best or not...

Everyone knows America is the place to prove your greatness in regards to boxing.. It's as simple as that to me..... We can say Joe could have come over to America and beat everyone there at any stage.. But that's exactly it, we can only say that.. He never did it, and as great as he is, many fans are going to consider that when handing credit out too him..
    ~ He thinks he's a Tornado,,,... F'ckn real Tornado is comin'...! ~Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bhop has Calzaghe on hush now. he better stay that way or fight bhop.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

guys i'm from the uk and have listened to calzaghe talk his own brand of crap for a longtime,. his classic line used to be " this guys not in my league, theres no interest in me fighting him" he'd then go fight a guy no one had heard of before isntead, we then had to listen to him say " i'm unbeaten, i've been champion for 10 years " he's so repetative he said that for over a year............he's jelous of hatton in a BIG WAY rickys much more known, much more supported, much more respected and has made 3 times as much in a 3rd of the time..........that eats joe up

Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

funny how Calzaghe's mouth is becoming bigger as he nears retirement , pity he didn't shout the odds when he was active , or we may have seen him fight the top guys.
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's easy to take interviews out of context when only tiny snippets are presented from a very long interview. Clearly the writer has an axe to grind and sets up his personal angle on each comment before quoting him. Insinuating that Joe was having a go at Oscar when if you heard the whole interview he was very complimentary of him and everything he's done for the sport, but also making the observation that Oscar's been winding down his career lately, which is a point of view nearly every single one of you have.

As for having a dig at boxing wtf He loves the sport, but is just as dismayed as the average fan about the way its going, especially in America where the talent pool in the sport isn't what it used to be.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Even Englishman Ricky Hatton, Hopkins said, has a bigger following than Calzaghe.

What the hell is he trying to say here? Ricky has one of the biggest followings in the sport today and has for years. Joe has a huge following much bigger than Hopkins ever had.

If Hopkins wants to see just how many true fans he has, come fight in England or anywhere beyond America's shores. See how many follow you there Nard. He needs a check up from the neck up the senile old prick.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Just Popkins after a rematch and acting a Prick...Again

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

calzaghe has a bigger following than Hopkins, you can bet ur life on it...
    dont Fuck with the chuck

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Calzaghe shouldnt say stuff like I wouldnt want to be an up and comer in this new generation. Its unfair to the younger fighters who put their lives into this sport. Also, one of the main reasons Olympic boxing isnt doing well is because more guys chose to go pro instead. Boxing is alive and well. People in the US knew who reletively new guys at the time Cotto, Lacy, etc. were before we knew anything of Joe Calzaghe, and he was reigning, defending champion for years! His career had its best years the last few years so to say boxings is on its way out is ridiculous coming from him.
    Only Forum Amature With Well Over 2000 Posts!

Thread Information