1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Super(outdated) Mike Macullum interview

Mike McCallum!

By: Ike Enwereuzor

Former three-time world champion, "Body Snatcher" Mike McCallum is one of boxing's most underrated great fighters. His skills and boxing ability led him to winning titles in three different divisons 154, 160 and 175 pounds. McCallum began his professional boxing career on Febuary 19, 1981 scoring a 4th round knockout of Roberto Lopez. He went to knockout his next 13 opponents before meeting Kevin Perry who he beat by ten round decision. Four years later, October 19, 1984, McCallum captured the WBA jr middleweight laurel by winning a 15th round decision over Sean Mannion . He went ahead to retain his WBA belt six times before losing a 12 round decision to Sambu Kalamby.

His next title came on May 10, 1989. After beating Herol Graham by a 12 round decision, he seized the vacant WBA middleweight championship. He made a successful first defense on Febuary 3, 1990 against
    Steve Collins before challenging James Toney for the IBF middleweight title. The first fight ended in D12. In the rematch August 29, 1992, McCallum lost a controversal 12 round decision.

On July 23, 1994, McCallum won his third world championship defeating Jeff Harding with a 12 round decision to grab the WBC light heavyweight title.

Please, tell us when you started your amateur boxing career and why you decided to box?
    I started to box amateur in 1975. I had over 250 fights and only 10 losses. I won the National Golden Gloves in 1977, won Golden Gloves 1978 and another Golden Gloves in Indiana in 1979. In 1980, I was in the Olympics in Moscow but had to under surgery for appendicitis.
    As you know I'm from Jamaica, the country where Austin Tappie came from, but I found out later that he was born in Cuba. We all started boxing in the gym there. I got into a fight one day with Davey Row, fighting over a ranching knife. He chased me, at some point we started fighting, I jabbed him to dealth. He was amazed by my skill, he said wow, this guy is a natural. He asked me if I box. I told him I didn't know what he was talking about, I never went to any gym. Are you sure you don't want to box?, he asked me. He was so impressed and was going crazy about me. So, I began to go to Towie Hall in East Kingston, Jamaica to learn to fight.

How did you gain your ring name "Body Snatcher"?
    Well, I use to train at Kronk Gym in Detriot, MI. I use to train with Tommy Hearns and the other guys in the gym. I use to kick their butt hard, I was just working Hearns to the body, they never saw that before, they just went crazy on how I was going into Hearns and others. They just started to call me Body Snatcher.

Tell our readers about your professional debut fight?
    The fight was here in Las Vegas. It was a good fight and good opponent. I came all the way from New York then and stopped him in the fourth round. He was punching me inside body and of cause I had to show him who the real "Body Snatcher" was. I was the man, "The Body Snatcher"

How would you describe your fight with Kevin Perry?
    It was a tough fight. I knocked out all my opponents before that fight, Kevin gave me a rough one but I still beat him by 10 round decsion.

How about your fights with James Toney?
    I think I won all my fights with Toney. I'm not taking anything away from him but I was sick in the last fight but I still think I won it. I definitely won the first and second ones, but he was Bob Arum's fighter.

Sean Mannion?
    At this time I never knew what it's like to fight for a championship. I just saw it as a competative moment just like other fights I had. We went to the distance but it was an interesting fight for me. He wanted it and I wanted it so we had to slug it out. He had a lot of boxing ability.

Were you disappionted that you never got to meet Hearns, Duran, Leonard or Hagler in the ring?
    Yes, I wish it could have happened. I would have beat Hearns, Emanuel Steward knows it. They told Curry not to fight me. I use to beat Tommy Hearns up in the gym all the time. That's why he never fought me. Emanuel knew and everyone in the gym knew it too.
    Duran was a very good, dangerous fighter, strong with punching ability but I don't see why I couldn't beat him. I could punch too. I was #1 mandatory contender to fight Duran or Hearns, both champions then, and I was their #1 mandatory challenger. Instead, they matched Duran-Hearns and left me out. They knew what I was capable of doing.

With Hagler, we never got a chance to negotiate but I think I had a chance to beat him too.
    Leonard didn't want to know me or hear my name. He fought everybody but me, and he knew what I was capable of doing, so he would mess with me. He would have gotten his ass kicked.

Describe your fight with Roy Jones Jr.?
    It was a good fight. Jones is a good fighter, I don't take anything away from him, I fought him when I was 40 years old, if I fought him a 29 years old, it would have been a different fight all together.

Tell us about your fight with Tiozzo?
    I went over there late, I wanted to go 2-3 weeks before and my trainer Eddy Futch said no, but then he lied to me on that fight he was coming to France. He went to the Montell fight in England and told me he'll come meet me in France but he never came instead he was found in the United States, Riddick Bowe was fighting Gonzalez next.

Curry bout?
    He was also slick, had nice punches. He was a hell of a fighter. He comes right at you. I shot his body and head first two rounds. He was a dangerous opponent.

What about Steve Collins?
    Steve was a tough fighter, I remember he smiled at me and I said "Oh you're smiling at me." I was getting mad but my corner talked to me so I just did the same to him. He plays with people mentally. I tried to beat him mentally. I ran some combinations and a smile at him. I was mentally and physically prepared for that fight.

Julian Jackson fight?
    He hurt me in the first round with a right hand, he was in shape and hard punching. He was the hardest puncher I ever met in my boxing career. He didn't want me to win, I didn't want him to win so it was like a tribal war.

Kalamby fight?
    He was a very slick fighter, good technician and good boxer. He used his jab pretty well. Second fight, I knew what to do then. So he won one and I won one. I broke his ribs in second fight.

Your thoughts on Steve Forbes-Justin Juuko championship bout April 22?
    Forbes is a quick good fighter but doesn't have power. Forbes is the champion, so he wants to win to retain his title. For Juuko, this is his opportunity. He's a game warrior and his experience should be a factor in this fight. This is his shot and he can't afford to miss it. Juuko has been in distance before but I don't think Steve is been there before yet. Justin can win, this is a perfect fight for him and he has experience behind him.

Any words to your fans?
    Thank you for all your support. I had a great boxing career. I'm pleased with my achievement

Doghouseboxing.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Super(outdated) Mike Macullum interview

Good interview. Like all fighters do he says he would beat everyone who he was matched with. He beat up Hearns and would beat up Leonard. Blah Blah. I liked more when he talked about the fights he did have.

Thread Information