Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Last Hurrahs

usually when a championship level fighter comes off that plane the game is up. It really is uncommon once a once great fighter is past it for him to win a big fight again. But uncommon isn't never. Every once in a while a great old champion somehow pulls a rabbit out of a hat and gets one last moment of glory. Here are some of them.

Jack Dempsey-Gene Tunney had taken his crown in a dominant fashion and The Manassa Mauler figured he was done at 32. But he takes a fight with the Boston Gob, and future champion, Jack Sharkey. Sharkey is ahead after six rounds when Dempsey remembers what a hard man he is. He hits Sharkey low and when Sharkey turns to the ref to complain? Demspey lands a left hook and knocks Sharkey flat.

Michael Carbajal-Little Hands of Stone is 32 and hasn't won a fight of real consequence in two years. But he gets a fight with 20 year old 108 champ Jorge Arce. For ten rounds it is a beating as the Lollipop Cowboy does what younger fighters have done to older ones for centuries. Cut, swollen and exhausted Carbajal's heart remains undiminished and he stalks the champion and then BOOM! One straight right hand and Carbajal retires with a belt.

Mickey Walker-The legendary Toy Bulldog has been wrecked by Max Schmeling, lost to Lou Broulliard and he's really running down. But in his last world class fight he takes on reigning 175 king Maxie Rosenbloom in an over the weight fight. Walker, who had lost to Maxie in a title fight six months before drops the champ in round one and coasts to a decision win.

Alexis Arguello-It's been almost three years since the Hawk stopped him for the second time and Arguello is 34. Billy Costello is the #4 ranked 140 in the world and for three rounds he makes Alexis look slow, awkward and old. Then in the fourth round announcer Tim Ryan wonders aloud "Does Arguello still HAVE that big punch." Three seconds later El Flaco Explosivo lands a straight right hand that leaves Costello flat out.

Muhammad Ali-He's 37, he is already suffering the effects of the Parkinson's Pugilistica that will shatter his later years, it is three years since the Thrilla in Manila and there is no reason to believe his legs can still move him for half a fight let along 15 rounds. And yet fighting largely from memory, Muhammad Ali wins the undisputed heavyweight crown for the third time by decisioning Leon Spinks.

Jimmy McLarnin
    -The Manny Pacqiuao of his time. He is 29 and at the end of the road. He loses back to back fights to Barney Ross and Tony Canzoneri. But he fights twice more. How does he finish his storied career? He beats Canzoneri and Lightning Lou Ambers. Not too shabby.

Kid Gavilan-The Cuban Hawk is long past his best. It's been three years since his last title fight and he's been a .500 fighter since. But at 31 he summons his greatness one last time to decision ranked welter Gaspar Ortega and then retires a year later.

Someday Bernard Hopkins will be on this list and Erik Morales came awfully close last month.
    Hidden Content Bring me the best and I will knock them out-Alexis Arguello
    I'm not God, but I am something similar-Robert Duran

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Last Hurrahs

Leonard against Hagler? He was 30 and had been out of the ring 3 years before that fight. I don't think too many people gave him a shot.

Also Duran against Iran Barkley? Duran was 38 and Barkley had just stopped Hearns in 3 going into that fight. Although I don't think Barkley had beaten anyone of note aside from Hearns prior to that and he went on to lose his next 2 fights. I'm not sure whether that one would really count

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hoyfield Tyson I - After Moorer I we all thought Evander was shot. In Hindsight he wasn't, but I'd still include him in this.

Nearly Morales against Maidana...
    God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I'll say it again, God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I don't believe in magic, I don't believe in I-ching, I don't believe in bible, I don't believe in tarot, I don't believe in Hitler, I don't believe in Jesus, I don't believe in Kennedy, I don't believe in Buddha, I don't believe in mantra, I don't believe in Gita, I don't believe in yoga, I don't believe in kings, I don't believe in Elvis, I don't believe in Zimmerman, I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me!!

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Arce himself against Vazquez Jr, IMO it mirrored his own loss to Carbajal

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by BIG H View Post
    Hoyfield Tyson I - After Moorer I we all thought Evander was shot. In Hindsight he wasn't, but I'd still include him in this.

Holyfield -Tyson I was one of my favorite fights of all time, nobody was giving Evander a shot at the time, and he was a big underdog going into the fight. Holyfield had some nice wins after this, but this was probably his best last effort, Tyson's only loss prior to this fight was against Douglas.

P.S. Holyfield's dismantling and knock-out of Tyson was a thing of beauty, textbook on how to take apart a bully.

Highlights of that fight: (I suggest muting the sound.)

Last edited by Mars_ax; 06-27-2011 at 05:48 PM.

Mentioned
    1679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Great post and thread as always Marbleheadmaui, Did not realise that was Michael Carbajal’s last fight. Well done on him for quitting whilst ahead. Often fighters will try and fight again if they won. Dempsey’s victory was dirty. Larry Holmes beating Mercer was enjoyable as even Larry was in tears as he got the respect he truly deserved by beating the then undefeated Olympic gold medalist, when Holmes was well passed his best.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    429 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Always liked Tony Lopez going into Champions Joey Gamaches hometown and turning back the clock, and cleaning Joeys.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Cressa121 View Post
    Leonard against Hagler? He was 30 and had been out of the ring 3 years before that fight. I don't think too many people gave him a shot.

Also Duran against Iran Barkley? Duran was 38 and Barkley had just stopped Hearns in 3 going into that fight. Although I don't think Barkley had beaten anyone of note aside from Hearns prior to that and he went on to lose his next 2 fights. I'm not sure whether that one would really count
    Neither Leonard nor Duran had stopped winning at that level yet thought had they?

Hmmmm, maybe Duran does belong!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I guess I was the one guy who didn't understand the idea Tyson was going to beat Evander.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Great post and thread as always Marbleheadmaui, Did not realise that was Michael Carbajal’s last fight. Well done on him for quitting whilst ahead. Often fighters will try and fight again if they won. Dempsey’s victory was dirty. Larry Holmes beating Mercer was enjoyable as even Larry was in tears as he got the respect he truly deserved by beating the then undefeated Olympic gold medalist, when Holmes was well passed his best.
    Great call on Larry Holmes. I missed that one!

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by marbleheadmaui View Post

I guess I was the one guy who didn't understand the idea Tyson was going to beat Evander.
    If you watched Holyfield in Moorer I, Bowe III and against Czyz and watched Tyson against Seldon, Mathis and Bruno (even if all 3 laid down ) and thought Holyfield would win, you are psychic To think Holyfield would win in 91 I can understand, but that version of Holyfield (coming off fights where he looked 50 years old)
    God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I'll say it again, God is a concept, By which we can measure, Our pain, I don't believe in magic, I don't believe in I-ching, I don't believe in bible, I don't believe in tarot, I don't believe in Hitler, I don't believe in Jesus, I don't believe in Kennedy, I don't believe in Buddha, I don't believe in mantra, I don't believe in Gita, I don't believe in yoga, I don't believe in kings, I don't believe in Elvis, I don't believe in Zimmerman, I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me!!

Mentioned
    429 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I should have played the lottery that weekend then

Hearns did well to come in and box the ears of a quality Champion and mover in Virgil hill.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If you watched Holyfield in Moorer I, Bowe III and against Czyz and watched Tyson against Seldon, Mathis and Bruno (even if all 3 laid down ) and thought Holyfield would win, you are psychic To think Holyfield would win in 91 I can understand, but that version of Holyfield (coming off fights where he looked 50 years old)
    i remember when this fight was coming off that my dad was constantly poked fun at cause he said from the beginning that Holyfield was going to school Tyson lol, my uncle and all my cousins swore the man was insane, but then when Holyfield did just that everyone started with the whole Tyson just isn't the same anymore bit lol

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Not psychic at all. I never really bought into the Tyson hype even when he was burying the journeymen he buried. And I looked at exactly the list you provided above and thought Tyson is fighting absolute nobodies since prison and Holyfield is tempered by fighting the top of the division over and over again in that same time period.

It wasn't like I laid down a bunch of dough on Evander, I just didn't get the notion that Tyson was the natural choice.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    I should have played the lottery that weekend then

Hearns did well to come in and box the ears of a quality Champion and mover in Virgil hill.
    Yeah that's a nice call. It kind of shows how Hearns was revered even then. I mean did anybody think Virgil would win that fight?

Thread Information