Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 5 Fights You'd like to see in 2009?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default 5 Fights You'd like to see in 2009?

Fights I'd like to see that haven't been signed.

Andre Berto vs Miguel Cotto
    This match makes a lot of sense as Berto would be stepping to the next level while Cotto would be in against a World Class Welterweight again.(no disrespect to Jennings)
    WBC Welterweight belt would be on the line and it would be a Great spectacle to watch and I believe that it is a fight that would see Berto arrive as a star that his ability suggests he is.
    I watched a few Berto fights the other day and the mans skills and punching speed are unbelievable.

Paul Williams vs Antonio Margarito
    Williams posted an upset last time against the then much hyped Margarito who many at the time thought was being avoided by Floyd Mayweather. Since the fight Williams lost in a lackluster performance against a very good Carlos Quintana, though avenged in style with a 1st round KO that showed he is sittting on his punches more. While Margaritos stock is sky high again after his relentless style wore down and battered Miguel Cotto.

The 1st Margarito vs Williams fight was close but Williams won and seemed to have too much of everything for Margarito yet some posters seem to think it was a fluke. (I don't)
    I think Williams would beat Margarito even better 2nd time around.

Joe Calzaghe vs Carl Froch
    Ok not a fight that would appeal to the US or anywhere outside the UK but it is a fight that the British fans would like to see happen.
    A farewell fight for Joe in front of a sold out Millennium Stadium of 70,000 fans against his English rival.
    Froch has a huge test against Jermain Taylor next but it is one I think he will pass and if he does then he will have won over a sceptical US market.
    Joe wins for me as his work rate would be too great. Mind Joe is not the fighter he once was and Carl is very underrated.

Kelly Pavlik vs Arthur Abraham
    Kelly needs a fight before this monster Unification. I thought it was 50/50 before Kelly lost but now I favour Abraham.
    Abraham’s shell like high guard and counterpunching haymakers are going to be of immense danger to Kelly who needs to win this fight by simply jabbing and keeping out of a brawl as I feel his chin is not the greatest and you don't want to test it against a surprise Abraham bomb.

Jorge Linares vs Edwin Valero
    Valero is the man of myth, the power punching WBC Super Featherweight Champion while Linares has a cult following of his own and is an exceptionally talented, tough, skilful WBA Champion having moved up from Featherweight.
    We all want to see Valero tested at World class - his KO rate is legendary but he has not been tested against the Elite and Linares would provide that test.

What fights would you like to see in 2009 that haven't yet been signed?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: 5 Fights You'd like to see in 2009?

Here's my list:

Juan Manuel Marquez vs Nate Campbell: Two veterans who should be fighting each other for Lightweight supremacy.

Manny Pacquiao vs Floyd Mayweather Jr.: Even though I think this is a fight for Floyd to win, the angles they would use to hype it would be epic! I just think it's the biggest fight in boxing that could really bring the public back in the sport. The perfect offense vs the perfect defense, former P4P #1 vs current P4P #1, Skill vs Will, etc.

Jermain Taylor vs Mikkel Kessler: It's time for Kessler to step out of his comfort zone and fight someone worth fighting. He is too good of a fighter to waste his abilities on nobodies. I still think Taylor has a lot left in the tank and his dominance over Lacy was his way of saying "I'm still here."

Ricky Hatton vs Miguel Cotto: There was a thread a while ago about this. I want to see it now.

Manny Pacquiao vs Juan Manuel Marquez: As long as these two are still actively fighting, I will always want to see them in the ring with each other.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

1. PacMan - Cotto
    2. Cotto - Judah ll
    3. Margo - Mayweather
    4. PacMan - Mayweather
    5. Margo - Williams ll

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

1. Kelly "The Ghost" Pavlik vs. "King" Arthur Abraham
    I'm with Rob on this one. As far as weight division clarification goes, this is the most important fight in boxing IMO and I can't decide in my own mind who wins. A year ago I'd have said Kelly in 8, but my opinion swung the other way after Hopkins lost. I still believe Pavlik is the best in the division but if he wants to hold that mantle, he has to fight King Arthur and win.

2. Miguel Angel Cotto vs. "The Tijuana Tornado" Antonio Margarito II
    Got my wish on this one. I'm always reading threads doubting Cotto's ability to comeback from his one defeat. Its silly IMO. I remember someone on this forum asking where all the heroes had gone. Cotto is a modern day hero. He has never once run from a challenge and has beaten some of the top brass at Welterweight. Tony had his number that night as I predicted he would, but I think he has the skill to adjust his performance accordingly to right the one wrong on his record of 12 hard fought rounds. Bring in the trilogy after that!

3. Manny "Pacman" Pacquiao vs. Juan Manuel "Dinamita" Marquez III
    Best in the world he maybe, but as far as I saw he didn't beat Juan. For me it was the best fight of 2008 and I'd love to see a repeat to either clear the doubt once and for all, or to see Juan gain his revenge. It really pisses me off when there is no clarification over who is the better fighter.

4. Joe Calzaghe vs. Jermain "Bad Intentions" Taylor
    When I heard this was the plan for Joe after the Manfredo fight I was ecstatic. I really wanted to see it and was gutted when I never came off. After Taylor beat Lacy I heard DiBella was calling for it. Personally, I don't think Joe will fight again but if he does, this is the fight I love him to take. I just think the mix of styles would make for an exciting fight and I think Taylor would have a legit chance against Joe. I know most would love to see him fight Dawson but in terms of styles meshing together, I think a fight with Taylor would be a much better spectacle.

5. Winner of "The Filipino Flash" Nonito Donaire/Fernando Montiel vs. Winner of Vic "Raging Bull" Darchinyan/Jorge "Traviso" Arce
    Best division in boxing last year IMO. We saw some classic fights and history made. The plan is for that history to continue and I'm hoping the plan comes off, the contracts get signed and the fans get to see a division setting an example for the rest of the boxing world by putting together the meaningful fights that matter. Its fighters like these four that are the reason we watch boxing and its good to see fighters seeking out the toughest challenges. Competative sport is about finding out who is the best and I think that is something often lacked in boxing, so if this comes off it will simply be for the good of the sport.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cunningham Vs Adamek 2---These guys put on a hell of a fight last time...IMO has the makings of a great trilogy.....

Zab Judah Vs Paul Malignaggi--I think it would be the test of what either has left if anything....

Kessler Vs Taylor--Would be a great match up between two guys who lost their last elite bouts...They would bring out the best in each other for sure
    Hidden Content IN CASE THEY ALL FORGOT WHAT REAL HEAVYWEIGHT POWER WAS!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Good call on Zab vs. Paul.
    I'd like to see that.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Stanley Steemer View Post
    1. PacMan - Cotto
    2. Cotto - Judah ll
    3. Margo - Mayweather
    4. PacMan - Mayweather
    5. Margo - Williams ll
    Quote Originally Posted by DaxxKahn View Post
    Cunningham Vs Adamek 2---These guys put on a hell of a fight last time...IMO has the makings of a great trilogy.....

Zab Judah Vs Paul Malignaggi--I think it would be the test of what either has left if anything....

Kessler Vs Taylor--Would be a great match up between two guys who lost their last elite bouts...They would bring out the best in each other for sure
    Quote Originally Posted by hardcore_crash View Post
    Good call on Zab vs. Paul.I'd like to see that.
    Why is there so much demand for Zab Judah in 2009?! C'mon! I thought the Clottey loss would erase him from the boxing world...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by C-Lo View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Stanley Steemer View Post
    1. PacMan - Cotto
    2. Cotto - Judah ll
    3. Margo - Mayweather
    4. PacMan - Mayweather
    5. Margo - Williams ll
    Quote Originally Posted by DaxxKahn View Post

Quote Originally Posted by hardcore_crash View Post
    Good call on Zab vs. Paul.I'd like to see that.
    Why is there so much demand for Zab Judah in 2009?! C'mon! I thought the Clottey loss would erase him from the boxing world...
    For me it's because he's going back down to 140/

Mentioned
    429 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Trying to go with ones not signed or close
    Calzaghe vs. Dawson
    Humberto Soto vs. Urbano Antillon....hide the children
    Ricky Hatton vs.Timothy Bradley....or Bradley vs. Holt
    Fernando Montiel vs.Vic Darchinyan
    Mikkel Kessler vs. Jermain Taylor
    And for C-Lo.....Judah vs.a Ford twin cab

hitmann Guest

Quote Originally Posted by WelshDevilRob View Post
    Fights I'd like to see that haven't been signed.

Andre Berto vs Miguel Cotto
    This match makes a lot of sense as Berto would be stepping to the next level while Cotto would be in against a World Class Welterweight again.(no disrespect to Jennings)
    WBC Welterweight belt would be on the line and it would be a Great spectacle to watch and I believe that it is a fight that would see Berto arrive as a star that his ability suggests he is.
    I watched a few Berto fights the other day and the mans skills and punching speed are unbelievable.

Paul Williams vs Antonio Margarito
    Williams posted an upset last time against the then much hyped Margarito who many at the time thought was being avoided by Floyd Mayweather. Since the fight Williams lost in a lackluster performance against a very good Carlos Quintana, though avenged in style with a 1st round KO that showed he is sittting on his punches more. While Margaritos stock is sky high again after his relentless style wore down and battered Miguel Cotto.

The 1st Margarito vs Williams fight was close but Williams won and seemed to have too much of everything for Margarito yet some posters seem to think it was a fluke. (I don't)
    I think Williams would beat Margarito even better 2nd time around.

Joe Calzaghe vs Carl Froch
    Ok not a fight that would appeal to the US or anywhere outside the UK but it is a fight that the British fans would like to see happen.
    A farewell fight for Joe in front of a sold out Millennium Stadium of 70,000 fans against his English rival.
    Froch has a huge test against Jermain Taylor next but it is one I think he will pass and if he does then he will have won over a sceptical US market.
    Joe wins for me as his work rate would be too great. Mind Joe is not the fighter he once was and Carl is very underrated.

Kelly Pavlik vs Arthur Abraham
    Kelly needs a fight before this monster Unification. I thought it was 50/50 before Kelly lost but now I favour Abraham.
    Abraham’s shell like high guard and counterpunching haymakers are going to be of immense danger to Kelly who needs to win this fight by simply jabbing and keeping out of a brawl as I feel his chin is not the greatest and you don't want to test it against a surprise Abraham bomb.

Jorge Linares vs Edwin Valero
    Valero is the man of myth, the power punching WBC Super Featherweight Champion while Linares has a cult following of his own and is an exceptionally talented, tough, skilful WBA Champion having moved up from Featherweight.
    We all want to see Valero tested at World class - his KO rate is legendary but he has not been tested against the Elite and Linares would provide that test.

What fights would you like to see in 2009 that haven't yet been signed?

id like to see the following:

1. Margarito vs Mayweather Jr
    2. Ricky Hatton vs Cotto
    3. Pacquiao vs Marquez 3
    4. Breidis Prescott vs Amir Khan 2 ( to see khan get KO'd again!)
    5. Hatton vs Mayweather 2.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Breidis Prescott v Michael Katsidis (The thought of this makes me shiver with excitement)
    Ricky Hatton v Timothy Bradley
    Floyd Mayweather v Paul Williams
    Juan Manuel Lopez v Izzy Vazquez
    Carl Froch v Joe Calzaghe

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Let's see....

Adamek vs. G. Jones
    Solis vs. Calderon
    Margarito vs. Berto
    JMM vs. Kotelnik (JMM captures a title in a 4th div)
    Caballero vs. JuanMa

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Paulie vs Zab. - But preferably late 09 and with both having meaningful junior welterweight wins under their belts, So that the hype could really be on.. and preferably for a jr welterweight title.

Floyd vs Pac - But only after Pac comes through a hatton fight. and i would be very interested to see it at junior welterweight or a catchweight of maybe 143/4.

Collazo - Hatton II - WBC welterweight title i mostly think on taking the title i would rather see collazo in with legitimate welter competition, and i know he will fight any of the big time welterweight names. but this is one i want to see.

Joey calzaghe - Hopkins II - Cmon joe.. we know you lost the first one, lets do it all again!

Rafa marquez - Juanma - Awesome fight to be made, juanma needs to keep fighting the top guys and getting the names and i'd like to know where rafa is after having the wars with izzy, great prospect for a fight.

Honourable mention : I really wana see Collazo - Cotto, be a fine fight and i hope a unification if cotto is fighting for the vacant wbo?..
    Of course because im pretty sure hatton'll never take the rematch so this is really the fight for me..
    Immortal Technique

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

1. Pacman vs Pretty Boy/ This is the fight of the decade. Would make my year.

2. Cotto vs Margarito 2/ I think cotto can regroup and take him in the rematch, but regardless those two equal fireworks.

3. Chad Dawson and Joe Cal/ Young Lion vs the Top Dawg in the division always makes for an interesting fight

4. Jerman Taylor vs Kessler/ Great fight i think. Could go either way.

5. Oscar vs Chavez Jr./ honestly i just wanna c the kid get beat down. I'm tired of him wasting air time and Oscar still has plenty left in the tank to put an ole fashion whoopin on the boy. Plus the hype of Oscar beating his father would make it kind of a fun fight to watch.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

alfredo angulo vs. james kirkland so angulo can prove he's better
    jmm vs. pacman
    calderon vs. solis
    cunningham vs. adamek
    montiel vs. darchinyan

top 5

Thread Information