Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where is Rocky Marciano in ATG and best HW lists?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Where is Rocky Marciano in ATG and best HW lists?

I'm watching a documentary and although he was certainly a devestating fighter,I seem to think and the presenter certainly seems to insinuate that Marciano hand picked alot of his opponents.With this isn mind,does this tarnish his record and where is he in ATG and HW lists?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Where is Rocky Marciano in ATG and best HW lists?

i got himf at numba 20

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Gamo
    I'm watching a documentary and although he was certainly a devestating fighter,I seem to think and the presenter certainly seems to insinuate that Marciano hand picked alot of his opponents.With this isn mind,does this tarnish his record and where is he in ATG and HW lists?

The 49-0 record will always be stand to him(although I heard that maybe he did have a loss but it was under a different name) but I dont think you can compare him to the likes of Louise, Ali, Patterson, Frazier etc.

"Run along dear, man talk" James Bond, 007, Goldfinger(1964)

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by El Gamo
    Good question El Gamo.

1 Muhammad Ali
    2 Joe Louis
    3 Larry Holmes
    4 Jack Johnson
    5 Lennox Lewis
    6 George Foreman
    7 Jack Dempsey
    8 Rocky Marciano
    9 Evander Holyfield
    10 Mike Tyson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I don't rate him as high as many do....It is the 49-0 that seems to cloud some opinions...impressive HELL YES don't get me wrong...but he beat a lot of greats who were wayy past their best and a lot of soft opp....I certainly put him under Louis, Ali, Holmes, Lewis, Formeman, Frazier and Johnson without question
    Hidden Content IN CASE THEY ALL FORGOT WHAT REAL HEAVYWEIGHT POWER WAS!!!

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Daxx Kahn
    I don't rate him as high as many do....It is the 49-0 that seems to cloud some opinions...impressive HELL YES don't get me wrong...but he beat a lot of greats who were wayy past their best and a lot of soft opp....I certainly put him under Louis, Ali, Holmes, Lewis, Formeman, Frazier and Johnson without question
    I don't know about Frazier his win over Ali was impressive, but thats his only big win. He had decent wins over Quarry x2, Bonavena x2, Ellis, Mathis, Foster, but im not sure Daxx.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Ricardo "Finito" Lopez
    I don't know about Frazier his win over Ali was impressive, but thats his only big win. He had decent wins over Quarry x2, Bonavena x2, Ellis, Mathis, Foster, but im not sure Daxx.

I agree to an extent...But Frazier managed to become a legit champ in the greatest HW era of them all so I always throw his name in.....I ststed the same thing you did once and was crucified for it....I swear if guys could have come through the computer screen I would have been mugged and beaten to a pulp

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Around top 5 heavies of all time....Think he would of lost to some of the bigger opponents although rocky had a rock solid chin, great heart and a whopping punch so always had a chance to swing a fight! One things for sure youd have to nearly kill the fella to stop him!

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ali
    Louis
    Johnson
    Marciano

#4 for me....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Just watch Frazier... without a doubt the best pure pressure fighter I've ever seen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You have to break it down to level of comp and stages of their career....

Marciano beat Louis, Charles, Moore and Walcott but Louis was way past his best so I do not count that fight...Moore was pretty much the same size as Marciano give or take an inch...but a great win indeed same for his wins over Walcott and Charles,,,,

I put guys like Lennox Lewis above him because of not size but fac5t he had SO many more good HWTS on his resume and was in the second greatest era of HWts plus dominated the division for pretty much all od 2000 on until he retired......

Ali is one that needs nothing to explain same as Joe Louis in his prime ( the fact Louis held the title for so long is amazing enough).....

Larry Holmes IMO was just more sound and was dominate in his career......

I also think a prime Tyson pre Douglas would have beaten Marciano....Close in height but Tyson so much faster and bigger....not to mention had a better style....Though over all I give Marciano the credit of a higher Ranking

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He fought the best around at his time.

A little bit overrated because of his unbeaten record by some people.

I would put him in around 9 or 10.
    Balls

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by porkypara
    He fought the best around at his time.

A little bit overrated because of his unbeaten record by some people.

I would put him in around 9 or 10.
    Not saying he didn't....In truth ands I have said this before Marciano was in a rathjer weak era....Pretty much a transition period so to speak....But he did fight the bst there was at that time...

I agree with the record part said the same in my first post...the record clouds some peoples opps

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Taeth
    Just watch Frazier... without a doubt the best pure pressure fighter I've ever seen.
    I've watched tons of Frazier's fights no doubt he was exciting, and a great Heavyweight. But me and Daxx were debating if Frazier is above Marciano in the All Time Heavyweight rankings, And IMO he isn't.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I rate him fairly high. he did lose once in his second fight after his amateur career. he fought his first pro fight, won it, then went back to amateurs for a tournament, and lost one of those alongside winning a few, then returned to the pros., then won the next 48 in a row. he won 49 professional fights in a row if you only count professional fights but an amateur loss and a few amateur wins inbetween pro fight 1 and pro fight 2.
    Last edited by travrosty; 10-09-2013 at 03:45 AM.

Thread Information