Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Calzaghe:I have 3 fights left.

Joe Calzaghe was set to face Glenn Johnson at Cardiff's Millennium Stadium on Saturday, but due to a hand injury in training, Calzaghe was forced off the card.

In a recent interview with the Western Mail, Calzaghe was upset at not being able to be part of boxing in this weekend's massive event. Calzage tells the Western Mail: "Obviously I'm very disappointed to be missing out. I'm a bit gutted to be completely honest. This is the biggest boxing bill ever in Wales, if not in the whole UK, so I would love to be able to get out there.'

Calzaghe also told the Western Mail his hand is getting better, but he is thinking of retirement. "The hand's getting better,
    but it wasn't right and I don't want to get in the ring not feeling 100 per cent, I'd be mad to do that. At this stage of my career I've got three fights left, maybe four if it's a big enough pay day for me.

Calzaghe added: "I want to go out in a blaze of glory, with all guns blazing as they say, that's how I want to be remembered. You have to know when to get out of this game. You don't want to go that fight too far if you can help it. It's not a matter of injuries or whatever, I could have 40 more fights left in me, but I'm choosing to go after three more."

Source of Quotes: Steve Tucker, Western Mail

http://www.doghouseboxing.com/Chee/Chee_070506.htm

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Calzaghe:I have 3 fights left.

Three more fights for Joe? Well, if thats the case, he could either look for the big money fights, or solidfy his hold on the Super MWD. Right now there are young hungry, and exciting prospects waiting to showcase their skills. Allan Green of teh USA is one of them, 20-0 (14 KO). Let's not forget Librado Andrade with his 23-0 (17KO) record. And of course there's Mikkel Kessler.

Obviously these guys arent the best payday out there for Joe. But, from the point of view of someone who truly loves boxing, I just hope that Joe fights at least one of these guys, to show whether he truly deserves to be remembered as one of the best Super Middleweights in recent memory.

El Kabong Guest

I doubt Green is ready for him.

Perhaps Jermain Taylor Chad Dawson

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle
    I doubt Green is ready for him.

Perhaps Jermain Taylor Chad Dawson
    I doub't Green is ready too. And both Taylor and Dawson would be bigger money fights.

What I'm trying to say is that its up to Joe as to how he wants to go out. Does he want to look for the big money fights and probably change weight class, or does he stay put and take on all the opposition, in hopes of further proving his dominance in the Super Middleweights

El Kabong Guest

Dawson can do 168...so can Taylor...it's just a matter of will they

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Taylor would get the living sh*t kicked out of him.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If he only has 3 or 4 left in him hopefully he will target the big names. Kessler at supermiddle, Clinton Woods and Johnsonn at light heavy, Taylor or Wright if they move up, Hopkins or Roy Jones if one of them wants to stage a mega fight, and a domestic showdown with Carl Froch.

I can't see the point in him fighting anybody outside of that lot, but knowing how hard it is to arrange a big fight matchup he will be lucky to get 1 maybe 2 of the above at best

Here's hoping anyway.

Hopkins, Taylor, Kessler, Woods,

Now THAT would be the way to go!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

INO there are only three fighters that have a good chance at beating Calzaghe & one that would definately beat him and they are Bernard "the executioner" Hopkins at lightheavyweight, Ronald "Winky" Wright or Jermain "Bad Intentions" Taylor at SMW

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by NorthSideX4
    INO there are only three fighters that have a good chance at beating Calzaghe & one that would definately beat him and they are Bernard "the executioner" Hopkins at lightheavyweight, Ronald "Winky" Wright or Jermain "Bad Intentions" Taylor at SMW
    No, No and No.

Calzaghe whips all of em

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Definitely, the 3 fights will be Winky Wright, then the winner of Glen Johnson / Clinton Woods, and then Jermain "Bad Decision" Taylor . BTW, I like Jermain, I just thought that nickname was funny as hell.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Calzaghe has had a long hard career, his hand is going, his back is in trouble and home life is not to special...

If I was him I would have an easy warm fight in front of a home crowd at the Millennium Stadium, then sit back and only fight again if I was guaranteed £3 Million.

In other words RJJ and maybe Hopkins.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

three more fights!?!? that is disappointing. hopefully he changes his mind

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

1) Winky

2) Kessler

3) Domestic battle with Carl Froch

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CityOfGod
    1) Winky

2) Kessler

3) Domestic battle with Carl Froch
    Agree with the first two, although it could well be Taylor or Winky, depending which one brings the more money in. Then a spring fight against the winner of Beyer/ Kessler.

As for a fight with Carl Froch, I can't imagine that being pulled off as it just doesn't bring the big bucks in or greatly enhance his reputation, so it doesn't make sense from his side, however good it would look for Froch. Personally, I think the natural third fight, if he holds off the first two would be to become a two-weight champ and try to beat the winner of Woods/Johnson at light-heavy.

All I hope is that Calzaghe does make all three really big name fights, and ignores the smaller fights that are just record padders.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Calzaghe? I think he'd be just fine living off the Jeff Lacy win for the rest of his career. He could fight all those guys but will he?

Thread Information