Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default I need a fight.....

ok so I train in a local gym, its old old school. Anyways the head trainers been there for 28 years and hes a little bias or should i say racist. Im 18 trying to get my career started but he doesnt really pay attention to me (im black). I work my ass off and i think Im ready for a fight, ive asked him and he kinda blew me off. Like i said i think im ready to get in the ring but he sets up the promotional stuff. theres another trainer/boxer about 35 should i talk with him or should i just wait.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: I need a fight.....

If you think this guy is being unfair to you, f him. Don't put up with that garbage. Plenty of good trainers out there who'll be good to you and have faith in you.

Sometimes I feel slighted in my gym because I'm not a future golden boy. It's funny how trainers gravitate towards certain guys for whatever reason... the black trainers like the black guys more it seems, the other trainers like the guys with more experience, etc.

Go with a guy who belives in you and will work with you. F the others. I work with two guys and two guys only. Of the other two at our gym, one ignores me because I'm not a top contender and the other ignores me because I'm not black. So f 'em both.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I like the wya you asume that he is biased because he won't get you a fight... you are black so ergo he must be a racist.

How long have you been training for? if he thinks you're not ready he is not going to put you in the ring to get beat.

Don't jump the gun here... a bit more info would be nice.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Maybe hes not racist. You mentioned hes old school right. Well my gym is also old old school, and he doesnt take a blind bit of notice in any newcomers. He just lets them hit the bag. Give it a month then hell spend as much time with you as you like. Its sort of like a proving stage. If he thinks your gonna quit your not worth his time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

So as everyones else said how long have you been training?...Has anyone ever worked with you?....Amatuer or pro fights u looking for...If pro you have any experience as an amatuer?......Not to sound like an asshole here but you have to understand something.....A trainers time is very valuble...Especially one who has been around that long must know what he is doing no?....He may want to know how long you are going to stick around...Plus again how long you been at it?....As someone who owns a gym I get guys all the time who want to fight but dont go the whole road...In my gym you don't spar for six months and when you do it is not full contact unless I already know you are a experienced fighter before hand...Maybe he feels you are not ready either again has someone worked with you before....Don't take this as an insult but many guy's think they are better than what they are and truth is they suck big time and would get eaten alive by a guy with any experience...Not saying you are one of those guys not saying your not but it happens A LOT!!!.....If he is a good trainer he has his reasons...Don't be hasty to assume it's because of color.....BTW if he is an old time trainer take a look at the sport notice anything?....Hispanic and black fighters are the majority.....If you want to be in this game for that many years at some point and time you will have to work with one so prejudice is really not
    a strong defense IMO unless he comes right out and says it
    Hidden Content IN CASE THEY ALL FORGOT WHAT REAL HEAVYWEIGHT POWER WAS!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Im a senior this year ive been boxing since 8th grade, Im not trying to bring in the race card I mean im half and half why am i to be judge what someone, im just trying to get my career going, i dont even have an amature bout yet. I think that if he gave me the shot i could show him who i really am and what i can do thats all.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'll fight you but I'm taking your lunch money if I win.

What you need to find someone who can set you up without you being someone's tomato can.

Have you talked to any of the fighters at your gym? Does your trainer have enough time to play cornerman or can he at least arrange some fights for you.

Your trainer is white guy, but I think the problem is that you haven't brought this to his attention. It's easy not to get attention if you're not talking to anyone. If he say's you're not ready than you gotta you push it. Step up and do whatever it takes. If the guy has his mind made up, or has his hands full and won't give you a time or day, then yes stupid look elsewhere.
    If you hear a voice within you saying that I am not a painter, then by all means paint and that voice will be silenced.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by hollo3255
    Im a senior this year ive been boxing since 8th grade, Im not trying to bring in the race card I mean im half and half why am i to be judge what someone, im just trying to get my career going, i dont even have an amature bout yet. I think that if he gave me the shot i could show him who i really am and what i can do thats all.

HMM I figured as much....Ok You sound like you just need to change you approach a little bit is all........Let me explain two things.

1.I don't care how good of shape a guy is in. That includes runners, tri athleates ect. There is nothing that can tire you out more than a full round of boxing if you have never done it. It is different that hitting the bag. You can hit the heavy bag for 3 hours and not be tired or do your whole workout twice and still be ready. They are nothing compared to 3min of actual fighting. I am sure you have been in a fight with another kid at scholl or in the neighborhood remember how tired you were after? ( assuming it was someone your own age and size)...Times it by 20. A street fight is over an average of 3o sec, One rd is 3min.

2. Try a different approach to the trainer. Don't ask to fight before you have even sparred on a regular basis. A serious trainer won't even give it a thought after. Like I said in my other post as a trainer you hear that all the time but when the actual time comes the guy who was ready all of a sudden finds out he isn't...Plus you come off as a know it all. This guy is thinking..."If you know so much and that your ready get your own fight"..Don't take it personal. Remember about how many other guys have said same thing...

Instead try saying to the guy...I am ready to step up. I would like some help training. Learn how to use the ring ( yes you have to know how to use the ring. Hitting the bag and getting in their are two different things)...Ask for mitt work...Let him know you know your numbers....

At the early stage you are at you need the trainer more than he needs you

Hidden Content IN CASE THEY ALL FORGOT WHAT REAL HEAVYWEIGHT POWER WAS!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hollo, my trainer in muay thai is old school and hes the same with me, sometimes i feel hes laughing at me and thinking im not going to get anywhere and sometimes he takes me seriously but whatever he does, i keep coming back for more.

Its hard to know what there thinking, I just put it down to a test of strengh.

Ive been boxing and thai boxing for only 11 months and I have no intensions of quitting. Wether he laughs, shouts or ignores me, or kicks my legs to shit in sparing, I mostly believe theres a reason for him doing all of this.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by hollo3255
    Im not trying to bring in the race card I mean im half and half
    If you're half and half, you are not black.

You're not white either.

At least know who you are, if nothing else.

If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Thread Information