Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Smile I need help

Hello my name is Jordan im 6'0 tall 205 pounds and its always been my dream to become a boxer. But due to other problems in life i have never had the time. Now im 17 years old and i see fighters going over and fighting in the Olympics who are around my age . I really want to become a boxer but i am wondering is it to late. To give a little more about me i am a right handed fighter who is trying to convert to southpaw. I dont want to lose my skill of orthodox but i want to be versatile. I am willing to work hard and do whatever it takes to become great but i dont know where to start. I have a nice athletic build, i bench around 285, squat 415, and i jump like 31 inches off the ground vertically. Im sure this has nothing to do with boxing but thats just to show im not some hopeless case, and i have potential. I have no in ring experience but i practice shadow boxing all of the time. I have an nice knowledge of the sport, i plan to join a gym within the next week, My favorite boxer of all time would have to be joe frazier because he was short but he made a style that fits him. I would appreciate any and i mean help help with this because i want to realize my dream but i dont know where to start

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: I need help

The gym is obviously the first step.

From your post I can locate no real issue apart from perhaps a lack of confidence. If you can locate a good gym, with a trainer who will care and nurture your career, then you will find that you can develop quickly.

Age is irrelevant, if the talent is there, it's there and at 17 it will be by no means limited or reduced.

No matter what believ in yourself, remeber your ambition and work hard.

Good luck Jordan.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by brightmojordan View Post
    Hello my name is Jordan im 6'0 tall 205 pounds and its always been my dream to become a boxer. But due to other problems in life i have never had the time. Now im 17 years old and i see fighters going over and fighting in the Olympics who are around my age . I really want to become a boxer but i am wondering is it to late. To give a little more about me i am a right handed fighter who is trying to convert to southpaw. I dont want to lose my skill of orthodox but i want to be versatile. I am willing to work hard and do whatever it takes to become great but i dont know where to start. I have a nice athletic build, i bench around 285, squat 415, and i jump like 31 inches off the ground vertically. Im sure this has nothing to do with boxing but thats just to show im not some hopeless case, and i have potential. I have no in ring experience but i practice shadow boxing all of the time. I have an nice knowledge of the sport, i plan to join a gym within the next week, My favorite boxer of all time would have to be joe frazier because he was short but he made a style that fits him. I would appreciate any and i mean help help with this because i want to realize my dream but i dont know where to start
    Not too late at all,

You can start by not trying to box in 2 stances when your in the early learning stages.. Pick one of South paw or orthadox and try to perfect that first, switching stance is very advanced stuff and i wouldnt bother to try it until after a couple years.
    Thats cricket

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by brightmojordan View Post
    This right here puts you ahead of more then 1/2 the people who stop in here asking if boxing is right for them. I swear, we usually spend about 2 or 3 pages trying to convince them they actually need to walk into a gym to learn.

Good Luck Jordan and keep us posted.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

lol favorite fighter is Smokin Joe eh? I just finished watching his Behind the Glory..true champ, in and out of the ring..I seriously wanna go down to Philly and meet him just once, to shake his hand. I wonder if hes still around..

Well anyways. Step in that gym and you're ready to go man. Thats all it takes. That and some grit. But im sure you got that somewhere in ya. Im a late starter too..So that leaves no excuses for you. haha.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

oh and um..unless you wanna feel like you got two left feet. I'd stick to orthodox. LOl.

Thread Information