Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A few Willie Pep videos that I Like.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default A few Willie Pep videos that I Like.

Willie Pep footwork video.

Willie Pep tactics video.

Willie Pep smooth boxing skills video

His style is a bit different to Floyd but it has the same effect in fights. I will always rate Willie better then PBF.

Enjoy
    Last edited by Vendettos; 06-09-2014 at 01:46 PM.
    You say tomato,
    ‘n I say …… it correctly.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: A few Willie Pep videos that I Like.

Quote Originally Posted by Vendettos View Post

His style is a bit different to Floyd but it has the same effect in fights. I will always rate Willie better then PBF.

Enjoy
    Skill-wise, Pep isn't even in Mayweather's league. Nor is he in Pernell's league. It pains me that when people think of defensive boxing, Pep gets brought up before these guys.

Pep was a runner who couldn't fight effectively on the inside (like those two could) and when he ran up against big Sandy Saddler he had no ability to cope, to switch gears and deal with Saddler's power. He got beat up what, 3 or 4 times?

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanflicker View Post

Enjoy
    Skill-wise, Pep isn't even in Mayweather's league. Nor is he in Pernell's league. It pains me that when people think of defensive boxing, Pep gets brought up before these guys.

Pep was a runner who couldn't fight effectively on the inside (like those two could) and when he ran up against big Sandy Saddler he had no ability to cope, to switch gears and deal with Saddler's power. He got beat up what, 3 or 4 times?
    Had you watch the videos you would have seen a section dedicated to his in fighting and his up close tactics.
    You say tomato,

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Enjoy

Had you watch the videos you would have seen a section dedicated to his in fighting and his up close tactics.
    Looks like he didn't want to fight inside, not that he couldn't. Had a killer jab too, when you can put 3 or 4 jabs together without an answer you are a wiz. He was jabbing to the body too, maybe Floyd is copying pep?

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He wasn't comfortable inside and for all his supposed defensive wizardry he could never figure out how to stop Saddler from dropping bombs on his head.

Saddler was great and a monster but he wasn't some unbeatable enigma, I've seen him get dropped and out boxed.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He wasn't comfortable inside and for all his supposed defensive wizardry he could never figure out how to stop Saddler from dropping bombs on his head.

Saddler was great and a monster but he wasn't some unbeatable enigma, I've seen him get dropped and out boxed.
    Yes but for nearly 300 fights, you're bound to find one guy you'll struggle with.

I'm sure he was happy with that.

He had the perfect saying, run, counter, win.

I've always said Floyd fought similar to Pep, except Floyd doesn't use as much footwork.
    You say tomato,

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yes but for nearly 300 fights, you're bound to find one guy you'll struggle with.

I'm sure he was happy with that.

He had the perfect saying, run, counter, win.

I've always said Floyd fought similar to Pep, except Floyd doesn't use as much footwork.
    I think you are correct.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The Pep's my all time favorite boxer. I can't thank you enough for that
    Hidden Content
    That's the way it is, not the way it ends

Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The art of moving out on angles while ducking then stopping dead and turning back under to catch them comming isnt finished just yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSgXxyToirI#t=181
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Enjoy

pep is better defensively than floyd for sure and is probably a bit better than pernell but that can be debated. floyd has greate defense but definitely isnt in the top 5 defensive fighters of all time like pep and pernell.

you need to understand that pep fought saddler after his plane crash. he wasnt considered as good as he once was. also, as was previously mentioned, it was just a bad style match up. saddler was very tall and lengthy which could nullify peps outside fighting because saddler could hit him from the outside. pep was great at fighting at the perfect distance to be just out of range. saddler was just a bit too long. and realize that saddler is also an all time great so its not as if pep lost to a nobody. saddler won 3 out of 4 fights. in peps prime, im sure he wins at least one more and maybe two more.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post
    pep is better defensively than floyd for sure and is probably a bit better than pernell but that can be debated. floyd has greate defense but definitely isnt in the top 5 defensive fighters of all time like pep and pernell.

How is Pep better than Floyd defensively? He could fight great on the outside. Floyd, Pernell, Locche, Bhop, Toney, ect could fight great on the outside and inside. And you know what? I don't remember ever seeing any of those guys get knocked out.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

To be to fair to Pep he should not even boxed anymore after the plane crash he was really badly injured. Most people thought he was done. He did mange to beat Saddler in rematch who wasa man who held two division tiles at once and defended them as well so he was great him self.

Mentioned
    1684 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I always wondered why Pep was rated higher than Saddler even though he had beaten him a few times. The aeroplane crash and injuries he suffered was one reason and the other was because he probably was his bogey man which some great fighters seem to have.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Let's not forget that Saddler wasn't the cleanest fighter there was. Whether the thumbs he put into the eyes of opponents was intentionality or not, the pace that he set had something to do with his opponents feeling uncomfortable at the urinals or unable to sit down and do the unmentionable without remembering they were OK before Sandy met them in that square. He just let his punches go and was very physical and many boxers lacking the big punch like Pep wished they had not cut classes in high school. Pep used his footwork to very end of his career even after the plane crash and you don't see Floyd using his all that much lately. He is still the man to beat and he draws the really large gates.
    Last edited by johnsebastianmiran; 06-11-2014 at 06:16 AM. Reason: Incompleted sentence!

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by powerpuncher View Post

How is Pep better than Floyd defensively? He could fight great on the outside. Floyd, Pernell, Locche, Bhop, Toney, ect could fight great on the outside and inside. And you know what? I don't remember ever seeing any of those guys get knocked out.
    you also dont see those guys fighting as many fights as pep either. pep had 136 fights the first time he got KO'd and only his second loss. he wasnt fighting bums either. he was fighting experienced fighters and some HOFers. and as was just mentioned, saddler was a very dirty fighter. he also was a very hard hitter. and lastly, saddler was probably a better fighter than just about everybody any of those guys faced (there may be a few exceptions).

you have to realize that im sure that those fighters that you mentioned would have been KO'd at least once after 136 fights. his defense allowed him to win all of those other fights without getting KO'd.

Thread Information