Quote Originally Posted by LuciferTheGreat
Quote Originally Posted by Britkid
Quote Originally Posted by The_One77
Quote Originally Posted by Unknowndonor
Quote Originally Posted by bilbo
Quote Originally Posted by Unknowndonor
Are you talking about the Spinks decision? I'm a Holmes fan, and I can't say that he won the first fight. The second fight I think he got robbed, but that would count as his second loss.
What the Spinks fight?

Man I'm even more confused now
Holmes was undefeated and needed 1 more win to either tie, or break Marciano's undefeated heavyweight record. Before he fought Spinks to get the record, he told the media that Marciano couldn't hold his jock strap. Therefore, that's why he was believed to be cursed, and lost the fight. I think he just flat-out lost, but I think he won the rematch and the judges robbed him.
that's weird, i was pretty sure he said that comment after he lost to spinks out of frustration with the judges.
Could be wrong though
He did indeed say it AFTER the decision.

I think personally Spinks deserved the decision just.... but the rematch was undoubtedly a robbery.

But I think people sometimes forget Holmes was damn lucky to turn 48-0 as Carl Williams was clearly unlucky to lose to Holmes in fight #48, and Whitherspoon was also a bit unfortunate in 83, and some would say Norton deserved something in his fight with Holmes in 78...

So IMO, Holmes can not moan all that much, boxing decisions tend to be swings and roundabouts.

I saw the Williams-Holmes fight. I would say that Williams won the first five rounds easily but then Holmes managed to get 9 of the last 10. Just my opinion BK. But it is always great to see our different perspectives. Have a cool click on me.
You have a point; perhaps 'damn unlucky' was pushing it... just trying to make a point.

I remember the fight, but being 10 years old at the time, I probably did not score it, but I remember a lot of people after the fight suggesting Williams had been unlucky... Perhaps the truth is Holmes used his experience to sneak the decision?