I'm going to be sparring with a friend of mine in soon. When I was in between boxing gyms, he and I would work out together with mitts and do drills at the local World's where we were members. Now that I've been back with a trainer for a bit, he wants to come down to the gym and go a few rounds. He has more ring experience than I do, but he's going to be rusty.

I know from working out with him before the his left hook is bread and butter money punch. We are the same height, but I have a reach advantage and a superior jab to his.Obviously it's sparring so we aren't trying to kill eachother, but I'd like to make a good showing and let him see how far I've come since we last trained together.

So my question is this - my best punches are my straights - jab and cross, and I respect his left hook more than his straight right. Obviously, I want to use my jab and keep distance. Duhh. But beyond that, what are some other good strategies, both in movement and offense, to counter a left hooker? Is it best to circle away from the hook, toward the right? Or should I try to bait him into throwing the hook and counter? How would you approach a fighter like that?