Hi Guys.

Just wanted to ask the audience their opinion on my first boxing sparring session.

I've been going to a boxing gym for about a couple of months and was real keen to get into the sparring side of things. I don't want to compete I just want to spar for the sake of sparring. The classes that we do really focuses on fitness and not on technique. I've done kickboxing for 6 months prior to boxing but have been out for 2 years as I wrecked my knee and had just started gentle sparring with the kickboxing.

The trainer after me pestering him said that I could do light sparring and put me up against a dude that was about 5 inches taller than me and at least 15kgs (I'm 75kg) more. Being my first time I obviously got my butt served to me.

Now I can handle the fact that I got owned and I can handle that for a long time I'm going to get owned until I improve. What hurt was that after the three rounds he straight up told me that I wasn't ready for heavy sparring (who said I wanted to do heavy sparring?) and said nothing more. I left the ring not sure what to do next and felt real embarresed and ashamed of myself. I just went and punched the bags for a little while, ran up and down the stairs and then when I realised that was it for me I just joined back in with the class that was going.

After the class i went up to him and asked if he just states the obvious and nothing else happens and he then took me to a guy that has more experience than me but is my build and I will be sparring with him for four rounds next week.

I suppose I don't really have a specific question but is this guy not a good trainer. Surely if a beginner wants to start sparring you would be encouraged by finding out what you need to work on and develop some kind of plan rather than just say I wasn't ready. It really annoyed me and I felt like a chump.

Your thoughts?

Thanks

Andy