Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: IF JOE CALZAGHE FOUGHT JERMAIN TAYLOR...

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: IF JOE CALZAGHE FOUGHT JERMAIN TAYLOR...

But Calzaghe would completely swarm Taylor and stop him, even easily.. It wouldn't surprise me. I mean Winky Wright is a great fighter but he's not a great offensive fighter and he doesn't have alot of power.. Look at how he was still able to maul Taylor... Calzaghe would absolutely stop this kid, there's no way it would go 12 rounds imo.

El Kabong Guest

Joe can try to swarm all he wants Taylor is mobile enough to keep out of trouble. Wright is thought of as a bad offensive fighter but it's simply not true...he doesn't go for the KO but it doesn't mean he can't punch. He is great with short accurate punches that have pop on them....look what he did to Trinidad!!!

Taylor won't be stopped easy by anyone in my opinion...he's been hit hard enough to have his chin tested and he has never been down.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking
    But Calzaghe would completely swarm Taylor and stop him, even easily.. It wouldn't surprise me. I mean Winky Wright is a great fighter but he's not a great offensive fighter and he doesn't have alot of power.. Look at how he was still able to maul Taylor... Calzaghe would absolutely stop this kid, there's no way it would go 12 rounds imo.
    I agree cc

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle
    Joe can try to swarm all he wants Taylor is mobile enough to keep out of trouble. Wright is thought of as a bad offensive fighter but it's simply not true...he doesn't go for the KO but it doesn't mean he can't punch. He is great with short accurate punches that have pop on them....look what he did to Trinidad!!!

Taylor won't be stopped easy by anyone in my opinion...he's been hit hard enough to have his chin tested and he has never been down.
    Taylor gets that left up when cornered i like his chances better, but he tend to back str8 up with that left low, Calz would hurt him. Manny should correct that ASAP

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

yes Lyle... LOOK what he did to trinidad... It sure as hell didn't look like what he did to TAylor... That was my point, really. THis is a fight between Taylor and Calzaghe, I was just mentioning how successful Winky was in bringing the scrap to him and getting inside and working, which wasn't anything like what Winky did to Trinidad, and isn't the way Winky has previosly been most succesful.. Calzaghe however has always been the agressor and never been beaten doing it, and he is bigger than Taylor and MUCH bigger and more powerful than Winky although I would never say Winky isn't freakishly strong either that wasn't my point.

El Kabong Guest

Winky is good at fighting on the inside he loves it. He likes it because it helps his defense and his short punches have enough power on them to do damage and usually the guys he fights are too close to get anything on their punches.

Calzaghe can bring the scrap all he wants to all I'm saying is Taylor is good enough to make Joe WORK for a win

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Taylor lost to wright, purely on activity, never mind landed punches. I think Taylor would get schooled by Calzaghe, he's too quick, too big, too accurate, too powerful and throws way too much to block and counter properly for 12 rounds, sorry but it can't be done. Taylor cannot fight on the back foot and thats exactly what he'd be on all night against Calzaghe.
    Remember the good old days, we miss you Marco!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by yoitsdan
    Taylor lost to wright, purely on activity, never mind landed punches. I think Taylor would get schooled by Calzaghe, he's too quick, too big, too accurate, too powerful and throws way too much to block and counter properly for 12 rounds, sorry but it can't be done. Taylor cannot fight on the back foot and thats exactly what he'd be on all night against Calzaghe.
    I think that sums it up perfectly! Calzaghe's boxing skills would be way to much for taylor.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by yoitsdan
    That's ridiculous, it can't be done...... THe whole point is that if you can block and counter alot of punches the fighter then will tire faster and be tentative in their attack.. Sure noone could block and counter everything Calzaghe could possibly throw in 12 rounds if he was hitting a heavy bag like Lacy was, but if someone were able to block and counter him he then wouldn't throw as many punches and would be forced to adjust. Im by no means saying Taylor would have any chance of doing this, but don't make calzaghe out to be superman.. Robin Reid had alot of success in doing exactly what you say can't be done and he's not some all time great..

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

JT can jab...Jeff Lacy couldn't
    Lacy can jab, he has jabed, and he will again, nit calzaghe took the option of him jabbing str8 out of his game in R1

JT can move Lacy couldn't
    Winky had no problem landing a hit on JT, and calzaghe throws a hit just as fast as winky, with alot more power

JT has more than just power
    and he more then often switches off and gets a tad to lazy during more than one round

JT fights at a pace that he is comfortable and as we saw Hatton vs Collazo, pressure fighters aren't ALWAYS able to push the pace
    Jt fights at a pace HE is comfatorble with, hopkins was slow, winky medium, hopkins had power, winky could hardly hurt him. Hotton fought a fight with VERY fast hands, a fight with a hell of a bigger reach advantace..

Calzaghe fights with the utmost pace, with a bigger reach, with faster hands with a better jab, with a more powerfull hit Vs a fighter who carrys his hand to low, leaving his chin way to open, + calzaghe being a lefty

Jt will do great things, and be a great boxer, but clazaghe imo will beat him with ease and imo will stop him around the 10th round.

In ref t the eubank fight, yes it was is hardest, but your talking about a eubank who i think was 31, v a very green 23? year old calzaghe.. ofc it was his hardest fight lol

the robin reaid fight, was 'close' on points down to one simple fact, calzaghe had to box for 4-6 rounds with a broken hand and STILL won....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by wacko3205
    I agree with Lyle...Joe would have issues with some of the names on his list...but this is about Taylor & I honestly think that Calzaghe would whoop his ass...but if he wants to win...he better be on English soil...that's all I'm sayin.
    Really wacko, Joe Calzaghe aint the shat because he beat Lacy. Lacy didn't move his head. You put the names Lyle put

"Roy Jones Jr.
    James Toney
    Tommy Hearns
    Ray Leonard
    Marvin Hagler
    Chris Eubank
    Nigel Benn
    Jake LaMatta
    Bernard Hopkins
    Archie Moore
    Gene Tunney
    Harry Greb
    Billy Conn
    Bob Foster
    Joey Maxim
    Floyd Patterson"

In against Lacy on that night and what do you think would have happend to Jeff? Seem that everyone forgets the Kabary Salem fight or how much trouble Woodhall was giving him

Or better yet How Lacy can make Sheika look like a contender, Wiggins like a master boxer, And Rubin Williams like Larry Holmes

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The thing I saw with Taylor is that he goes back to the ropes and you hit him witha flurry and then he tries to respond, but what Winky did was back away when he tried to do it and Taylor didnt land, thats a weakness..

But what I agree with is that Calzaghe can swarm anyone easily when they stand directly in front of him and offer no defense whatsoever

And Jermain has something Calzaghe doesn't have

Emanuel Stewart..and what does Stewart make..gameplans

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Starr

And Jermain has something Calzaghe doesn't have

Emanuel Stewart..and what does Stewart make..gameplans
    Like the game plan ES had for JT v winky, the same one Jt often stoped doing..?

Thread Information