Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default If I were Carlos Quintana...

If I were Quintana, I would want to hold onto the WBO belt as long as possible and not worry about going at the other champs. The WBO #1 and #2 Challengers are Tony and Shane, both busy and probably not interested, at least until after Tony fights Cotto.

So where does he go from here? He's not going to be a part of the WW tourney, because he already lost to Cotto. Tony may want to fight him if he loses in an eventual showdown with Cotto or Cintron might want him after Tony kicks his ass again.

IMHO, these are some good fights for him and one to avoid.

1. Chavez Jr. I would be on the phone with his management team today. This makes perfect sense. Puerto Rico vs Mexico. Big draw. I think this is the biggest fight Quintana can make $$$ wise. This would sell better than Berto or Clottey, and he would be the favorite.

2. I'm guessing Michael Jennings is the manditory. He's the WBO #3. I haven't seen him fight, but looking at boxrec, he hasn't fought, never mind beaten, a guy on Quintana's level. Maybe somebody from the UK can comment on Jennings. If you have to make this fight to keep the belt, do it.

3. Bring on Berto. You exposed Williams and Julio. Now you can expose Berto, too.

4. Avoid Josh Clottey. Too strong, and he would break Quintana to the body like Cotto. It would be a closer fight, but Clottey is a dangerous fight.

I don't think Quintana beats the top WW's, but I like this guy and want to see him do well. He can stick around a bit if he's smart.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: If I were Carlos Quintana...

Quote Originally Posted by RozzySean View Post
    If I were Quintana, I would want to hold onto the WBO belt as long as possible and not worry about going at the other champs. The WBO #1 and #2 Challengers are Tony and Shane, both busy and probably not interested, at least until after Tony fights Cotto.

So where does he go from here? He's not going to be a part of the WW tourney, because he already lost to Cotto. Tony may want to fight him if he loses in an eventual showdown with Cotto or Cintron might want him after Tony kicks his ass again.

1. Chavez Jr. I would be on the phone with his management team today. This makes perfect sense. Puerto Rico vs Mexico. Big draw. I think this is the biggest fight Quintana can make $$$ wise. This would sell better than Berto or Clottey, and he would be the favorite.

2. I'm guessing Michael Jennings is the manditory. He's the WBO #3. I haven't seen him fight, but looking at boxrec, he hasn't fought, never mind beaten, a guy on Quintana's level. Maybe somebody from the UK can comment on Jennings. If you have to make this fight to keep the belt, do it.

3. Bring on Berto. You exposed Williams and Julio. Now you can expose Berto, too.

4. Avoid Josh Clottey. Too strong, and he would break Quintana to the body like Cotto. It would be a closer fight, but Clottey is a dangerous fight.

I don't think Quintana beats the top WW's, but I like this guy and want to see him do well. He can stick around a bit if he's smart.

They aren't going to put Junior in with the guy that just beat PW. They are mining his name. And they aren't about to strip mine the name that is Chavez Jr....yet.
    "If there's a better chin in the world than Pryor's, it has to be on Mount Rushmore." -Pat Putnam.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

clottey is rugged, he shouldnt fight clottey, berto MAYBE, but its dangerous

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quintana should fight Clottey and all welterweights out there. Why should he duck anybody? He has great boxing skills that will give him a shot in any fight. The one who will give Quintana the most problems is probably Margarito, not Clottey. Tony's power and pressure might tire Quintana. He did look a little winded at the end of the Williams fight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by RozzySean View Post

DOn't you know? he just did las night. He won a UD against P. Williams
    Que Viva Puerto Rico
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The first thing Quintana should NOT do is take a year off to admire his win like Williams did.....

Second IMO Quintana can make a good fight with most the other guys out there...Maybe not beat them but make a good fight.....

For now if I was Quintanas management I would just worry about the guys ranked by organization and defend my title...Let the big names come of they do if not just concentrate on being a good champion...

It is obvious what happens when you get too full of yourself and start moaning about fighting only Cotto or PBF
    Hidden Content IN CASE THEY ALL FORGOT WHAT REAL HEAVYWEIGHT POWER WAS!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Puya View Post
    DOn't you know? he just did las night. He won a UD against P. Williams
    Oh, I hadn't heard

Let me rephrase. I don't think he beats any of the OTHER top WW's, and I'm not sure PW had earned that status to begin. PW's status as a top WW was due to his size and his win over Tony. I've always felt that if Tony and Paul fought 5 more times, Tony would win the next 5. Fine, maybe I'll get accused of making excuses, but I don't think Tony took Williams seriously enough, and it was bad matchup for him.

Tony can be a vicious body puncher when he choses, same with Clottey. Cintron is a wildcard. He has much better skills and power, but his mental makeup isn't as strong. I guess there's a chance he could box around Clottey and frustrate Cintron into a mental meltdown.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think Quintana should go for the Puerto Rican angle and go for Kermit Cintron. I think Quintana would beat him as easily as he beat Julio. And he would collect another belt in the process

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Demise View Post
    I think Quintana should go for the Puerto Rican angle and go for Kermit Cintron. I think Quintana would beat him as easily as he beat Julio. And he would collect another belt in the process

Except that title will soon be on the waist of Margarito
    Hidden Content IN CASE THEY ALL FORGOT WHAT REAL HEAVYWEIGHT POWER WAS!!!

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by DaxxKahn View Post
    Except that title will soon be on the waist of Margarito
    That's true. But than again I wouldn't be surprise if Cintron pulled out of the Margarito fight

Thread Information