Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: I love Joe Calzaghe!

Quote Originally Posted by boozeboxer View Post
    You guys are wrong: Calzaghe's best win is by far the Kessler fight. Beating Hopkins and potentially Jones is not comparable imo.

Kessler is a great fighter in his prime or near it, strong jab, technically sound, and a great resume leading up to the fight.

Agreed and the way he adapted and changed tactics mid fight was different gear
    I think with his slappy style he just leaves his opponent more stunned than hurt and totally breaks them with relentless pressure.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Deanrw View Post

I guess you guys are excited by your new hero.. like a kid with a new toy.

I predict in two years time Pavlik will be the new Lacy.
    #1 Pavlik is not my hero, but he is a fighter I respect. He takes on all comers. There should be many more like him.

#2 Joe has shown indications of preferring the safe route. On top of that he feeds complete and utter bullshit to the press in the hopes to promote his current fight he has lined up. Contradicts himself left and right in his quest to go out in, this is his own words mind you, a "Blaze Of Glory". The guy is a fruitcake plain and simple. I cannot believe I used to respect that turd.

Pavlik may very well lose soon, maybe even against Hopkins, but at least he is approaching his craft with old fashioned honor and dignity and willing to test himself.
    Yeah right.

Pavliks last two fights have been against a guy he previously blasted out in 7 rounds and a guy not even good enough to win a British title, who took the place of the fearsome and deadly John Duddy!!!

Now he is facing a Calzaghe victim in ancient old Bernard Hopkins - at 170. Avoiding Arthur Abraham and conveniently IGNORING the supermiddleweights - Kessler and Bute. All the while chasing another OLDMAN in no-hands Calzaghe.

Stop kidding yourself with the Kelly Pavlik throwback spiel. Pavlik wants the oldboys for the MONEY!!! He is no different to any other modern fighter with the potential to EARN. If guided CAREFULLY enough he might last a while. Fact.
    I'll defend Pavlik's last two fights. Lockett, I'll give you, that was just a fight to keep Pavlik in the ring and in shape. Taylor the second time was an unavoidable fight. They previously both knocked each other down, the linear title switch hands, and went through arguably the fight of the year, a rematch was a no-brainer. With all those factors, like I said, the rematch was unavoidable not "a guy he previously blasted out in 7 rounds."

About facing Bernard Hopkins: First off, Pavlik never wanted this fight, his promotion company set this up and Kelly just went along with it. When it's all said and done, he just takes the fights that are given to him. NO ONE WANTS to fight Hopkins because he makes people look ugly. Abraham, Kessler, etc will still be there in a year so he's not ducking anyone. Hopkins and Calzaghe aren't going to be around for as long so why not fight them now while they're still here. Pavlik wants Calzaghe, and being impressive against Hopkins will make that fight closer to happening. PLUS! He makes way more money fighting Hopkins or Calzaghe than fighting Abraham and Kessler. Even though he initially didn't want the fight against Hopkins, looking at it this way makes sense in order to get Calzaghe in the ring.

If Kelly isn't a throwback fighter than I don't know who is. Like I said earlier, he doesn't choose his opponents, his promoter does and he just trains and fights. Look at De La Hoya, Mayweather, Pacquiao and other boxers of that stature. Those guys have a say in who they fight but Kelly doesn't deal with it that way. He's a fighter and nothing more...

Zertuche, Miranda, Taylor, Taylor, Lockett, Hopkins in two years is not "protected" if you ask me...

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well Cal i got to say that is a great post could not of said it better.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I guess you guys are excited by your new hero.. like a kid with a new toy.

I predict in two years time Pavlik will be the new Lacy.
    #1 Pavlik is not my hero, but he is a fighter I respect. He takes on all comers. There should be many more like him.

#2 Joe has shown indications of preferring the safe route. On top of that he feeds complete and utter bullshit to the press in the hopes to promote his current fight he has lined up. Contradicts himself left and right in his quest to go out in, this is his own words mind you, a "Blaze Of Glory". The guy is a fruitcake plain and simple. I cannot believe I used to respect that turd.

Pavlik may very well lose soon, maybe even against Hopkins, but at least he is approaching his craft with old fashioned honor and dignity and willing to test himself.
    Yeah right.

Pavliks last two fights have been against a guy he previously blasted out in 7 rounds and a guy not even good enough to win a British title, who took the place of the fearsome and deadly John Duddy!!!

Now he is facing a Calzaghe victim in ancient old Bernard Hopkins - at 170. Avoiding Arthur Abraham and conveniently IGNORING the supermiddleweights - Kessler and Bute. All the while chasing another OLDMAN in no-hands Calzaghe.

Stop kidding yourself with the Kelly Pavlik throwback spiel. Pavlik wants the oldboys for the MONEY!!! He is no different to any other modern fighter with the potential to EARN. If guided CAREFULLY enough he might last a while. Fact.
    The guy he had blasted out in 7 rounds, had a rematch clause. The guy not even good enough to win a British title, was actually a mandatory from the Warren Boxing Organization. You know them, the same ones that spoon fed Joe the Tucker Pudwell's during his distinguished reign to keep that reign intact? They were trying to create a new Calzaghe to keep that great tradition alive.

You call Hopkins a Calzaghe victom? The only victom's were the fans watching it. So pavlik wants to earn some money while going after the two self proclaimed kingpins around his weight class and use them as stepping stones. Yes that is considered taking on all comers. And don't even bother mentioning Abraham, he has his mandatory to get through first and will probably over price himself big time anyway.
    Last edited by Deanrw; 09-25-2008 at 01:20 PM.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by caleoh12 View Post

Yeah right.

I'll defend Pavlik's last two fights. Lockett, I'll give you, that was just a fight to keep Pavlik in the ring and in shape. Taylor the second time was an unavoidable fight. They previously both knocked each other down, the linear title switch hands, and went through arguably the fight of the year, a rematch was a no-brainer. With all those factors, like I said, the rematch was unavoidable not "a guy he previously blasted out in 7 rounds."

About facing Bernard Hopkins: First off, Pavlik never wanted this fight, his promotion company set this up and Kelly just went along with it. When it's all said and done, he just takes the fights that are given to him. NO ONE WANTS to fight Hopkins because he makes people look ugly. Abraham, Kessler, etc will still be there in a year so he's not ducking anyone. Hopkins and Calzaghe aren't going to be around for as long so why not fight them now while they're still here. Pavlik wants Calzaghe, and being impressive against Hopkins will make that fight closer to happening. PLUS! He makes way more money fighting Hopkins or Calzaghe than fighting Abraham and Kessler. Even though he initially didn't want the fight against Hopkins, looking at it this way makes sense in order to get Calzaghe in the ring.

If Kelly isn't a throwback fighter than I don't know who is. Like I said earlier, he doesn't choose his opponents, his promoter does and he just trains and fights. Look at De La Hoya, Mayweather, Pacquiao and other boxers of that stature. Those guys have a say in who they fight but Kelly doesn't deal with it that way. He's a fighter and nothing more...

Zertuche, Miranda, Taylor, Taylor, Lockett, Hopkins in two years is not "protected" if you ask me...

It's a fact Pavlik ko'd Taylor in 7 rounds. The reason for the second fight was Taylor invoked his 160+lbs rematch clause. Otherwise Pavlik would have been fighting Duddy.

So.. Pavlik didn't WANT to fight Hopkins, and has NO say in who he fights (have you got a link so i can read this)? Who did Pavlik WANT to fight?

And if that's the case.. it says EVERYTHING about the confidence his promotional team have in him. Since beating Taylor he has been linked with - Duddy, Lockett, Griffin, welterweight Williams, ancient Trinidad etc.. as I said previously, if he is CAREFULLY managed he may stay at the top for a while.

Abraham, Kessler and Bute are all, like Pavlik, young hungry guys in their PRIME. They are arguably far more dangerous opponents than 43 year-old no-legs Hopkins. And maybe even more dangerous than 37 year-old no-hands Calzaghe. BUT they don't offer the same MONEY rewards for the risk involved.

Fighters fight for MONEY! Pavlik is no different.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah right.

It's a fact Pavlik ko'd Taylor in 7 rounds. The reason for the second fight was Taylor invoked his 160+lbs rematch clause. Otherwise Pavlik would have been fighting Duddy.

So.. Pavlik didn't WANT to fight Hopkins, and has NO say in who he fights (have you got a link so i can read this)? Who did Pavlik WANT to fight?

And if that's the case.. it says EVERYTHING about the confidence his promotional team have in him. Since beating Taylor he has been linked with - Duddy, Lockett, Griffin, welterweight Williams, ancient Trinidad etc.. as I said previously, if he is CAREFULLY managed he may stay at the top for a while.

Abraham, Kessler and Bute are all, like Pavlik, young hungry guys in their PRIME. They are arguably far more dangerous opponents than 43 year-old no-legs Hopkins. And maybe even more dangerous than 37 year-old no-hands Calzaghe. BUT they don't offer the same MONEY rewards for the risk involved.

Fighters fight for MONEY! Pavlik is no different
    Oh that I agree with 100%. That is the main priority for all of them. It is just some of them also desire to be the top dog also. Pavlik probably did not want to fight Hopkins because Hopkins makes some lousy fights and was coming off a loss, but still took what was offered and he said himself Hopkins was the only guy available. Don't even mention Bute. His team has made a career of avoiding any live fighter as of late and is only fighting Andrade because they are now forced to.
    Last edited by Deanrw; 09-25-2008 at 01:45 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah right.

SOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooooooooo
    #

When Calzaghe faces some duff opposition, but also includes the three fighters all his critics wanted him to face he is called a ducker/diver/pussy, yet when Pavlik fights 'whoever
    his promoter puts in front of him' he's called a take on anyone anywhere throwback wtf??

You use your ignorance of european fighters to convenientl;y back up your arguments. Lockett is a god awful opponent for a world champion to face, he's lower than the duffs Calzaghe faced (Pudwill, Ashira) the BIG difference is that those guys were late replacements for higher caliber fighters while Lockett was a choice made 2 months prior to the fight, while the other guys on the shortlist were also below top level in Duddy and Rubio.

I have NO problem with Pavlik. He is what he is, an outstanding athlete (+very exciting fighter-good for the sport) who has plenty of time to secure a legacy if he turns out to be good enough. But if you think he's already there with the likes of Calzaghe/Hopkins in terms of legacy then I'd like to know what you're smoking cos it must be good. He's had victories over 1 world class opponent, the same opponent JC was criticised for courting cos he was 'ducking' Kessler. The same opponent who openly refused to fight the 'legend' that is Carl Froch.
    you have to prove yourself against all styles to be a true great. He may yet do this.

Mr140: I'm sure you will forget about JC in ten years time, that's what unkowledgable people do, stick their heads between their legs, and lick their own anus until all the bad thoughts that disprove their theories leave their heads.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The Old guard in full effect....
    Bomp n Fenster

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Oh that I agree with 100%. That is the main priority for all of them. It is just some of them also desire to be the top dog also. Pavlik probably did not want to fight Hopkins because Hopkins makes some lousy fights and was coming off a loss, but still took what was offered and he said himself Hopkins was the only guy available. Don't even mention Bute. His team has made a career of avoiding any live fighter and is only fighting Andrade because they are now forced to.
    OK. Pavlik fights his silly gimme mismatch mandatory. Then fights a 43 year-old coming off a loss in a meaningless catchweight contest. Of course he'd much rather face a serious challenger but his promotional team wont let him... But you accuse Calzaghe of taking the safe route? Come on, behave.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bomp View Post

Yeah right.

#

When Calzaghe faces some duff opposition, but also includes the three fighters all his critics wanted him to face he is called a ducker/diver/pussy, yet when Pavlik fights 'whoever
    his promoter puts in front of him' he's called a take on anyone anywhere throwback wtf??

You use your ignorance of european fighters to convenientl;y back up your arguments. Lockett is a god awful opponent for a world champion to face, he's lower than the duffs Calzaghe faced (Pudwill, Ashira) the BIG difference is that those guys were late replacements for higher caliber fighters while Lockett was a choice made 2 months prior to the fight, while the other guys on the shortlist were also below top level in Duddy and Rubio.

I have NO problem with Pavlik. He is what he is, an outstanding athlete (+very exciting fighter-good for the sport) who has plenty of time to secure a legacy if he turns out to be good enough. But if you think he's already there with the likes of Calzaghe/Hopkins in terms of legacy then I'd like to know what you're smoking cos it must be good. He's had victories over 1 world class opponent, the same opponent JC was criticised for courting cos he was 'ducking' Kessler. The same opponent who openly refused to fight the 'legend' that is Carl Froch.
    you have to prove yourself against all styles to be a true great. He may yet do this.

Mr140: I'm sure you will forget about JC in ten years time, that's what unkowledgable people do, stick their heads between their legs, and lick their own anus until all the bad thoughts that disprove their theories leave their heads.

Joe has some good wins, he has some bad ones. Same as Pavlik. My main issue with Joe is he seems to be determined at every opportunity to try to discredit Pavlik as a possible opponent, when pure common sense dictates that he is THE opponent everyone wants for Joe.

Lockett was a mandatory and Pavlik was coming off two tough fights and needed an easy win. I will give him the coaster fight, but only one. If he does more, he gets on my shitlist also.

I respect guys like Froch, Abraham etc, as they want to get in there. Froch has a big mouth yes, but he is also willing to try backing it up. That is cool in my book.

All I want to see is the best available fight each other. That is it, nothing more and nothing less. I could really care less of who wins or loses, but to me, they just need to happen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Oh that I agree with 100%. That is the main priority for all of them. It is just some of them also desire to be the top dog also. Pavlik probably did not want to fight Hopkins because Hopkins makes some lousy fights and was coming off a loss, but still took what was offered and he said himself Hopkins was the only guy available. Don't even mention Bute. His team has made a career of avoiding any live fighter and is only fighting Andrade because they are now forced to.
    OK. Pavlik fights his silly gimme mismatch mandatory. Then fights a 43 year-old coming off a loss in a meaningless catchweight contest. Of course he'd much rather face a serious challenger but his promotional team wont let him... But you accuse Calzaghe of taking the safe route? Come on, behave.
    What do you not understand about the term "Nobody else was available"? Hell Arum tried to make a fight with a shitload of guys, he had at least 6 or 8 of them on the go, but they all over priced themselves.

Kessler was not available, Abraham was not available, Joe was not available. The only one that could have been available was Joe as the Jones fight is an option fight. Kessler and Abraham both have mandatory fights to get through.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah right.

Fighters fight for MONEY! Pavlik is no different.
    After Pavlik and Taylor's first fight, the public definitely wanted to see them fight a second time, regardless of a rematch clause.

In regards to a link. I read it on ESPN and it's no longer available to be viewed. (Trust me, I checked) It was back when the fight was first announced and Pavlik says something along the lines of "Hopkins isn't exactly the fight I want, but if they say you're fighting him, you gotta fight him." Pavlik didn't directly state who he wanted but it was obvious he didn't want Hopkins.

If Kessler and Abraham eventually become bigger in the US there's no doubt Pavlik would be fighting them. But as of right now, Hopkins and Calzaghe are the names which is why he is matched up with those two.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bomp View Post

Yeah right.

#

The difference between Calzaghe and Pavlik's opposition is somewhat debatable. Some say Joe has a better resume and some say Pavlik does. At the end of the day you have to realize that Joe is at the end of his career and his opposition is still being criticized. Pavlik can have his opposition criticized but he's just starting and has a whole career ahead of him.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What do you not understand about the term "Nobody else was available"? Hell Arum tried to make a fight with a shitload of guys, he had at least 6 or 8 of them on the go, but they all over priced themselves.

Kessler was not available, Abraham was not available, Joe was not available. The only one that could have been available was Joe as the Jones fight is an option fight. Kessler and Abraham both have mandatory fights to get through.
    Unbelievable!!!

So fighters are unavailable and pricing themselves out against Pavlik.. YET these things NEVER could have possibly happend in Calzaghe's career, right?

He prefers the easy route?

Come on, man.

ICB Guest

Unbelievable!!!

So fighters are unavailable and pricing themselves out against Pavlik.. YET these things NEVER could have possibly happend in Calzaghe's career, right?

He prefers the easy route?

Come on, man.
    Even though i like Kelly Pavlik i was disappointed he didn't clean up Middleweight division, fighting Arthur Abraham.

Thread Information