Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Krav Maga

I asked this in the off-topic board and then realized that this might be a better place for my question.

Has anyone done any Krav Maga training? I'm thinking of signing up for some classes they're offering at my gym. The type they instruct in is Commando Krav Maga. It seems like a great way to get in shape and learn some different self-defense techniques. I used to recreationally box at this gym, but that's the only other self-defense type stuff that I've done.

Any experiences with it?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Krav Maga

Quote Originally Posted by CFH View Post
    I asked this in the off-topic board and then realized that this might be a better place for my question.

Has anyone done any Krav Maga training? I'm thinking of signing up for some classes they're offering at my gym. The type they instruct in is Commando Krav Maga. It seems like a great way to get in shape and learn some different self-defense techniques. I used to recreationally box at this gym, but that's the only other self-defense type stuff that I've done.

Any experiences with it?
    We do some basic moves every tuesday and or thursday as my trainer used to do it. Seems pretty useful as a way to defend youself on the street once you have had a little bit of practise
    "There are no ordinary moments"

Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Here is the response i put in the off topic section

I have done some Krava Maga in the past and its basically an isreali self defence system taught to the isreali forces.

Like any system if taught correctly it can be really effective. How good it is depends on the instructor. Krava Maga has become a bit 'trendy' and the marketing as such has portrayed it as being the be all and end all. Like any trendy system any tom dick or harry can normally do an 4 day course and suddenly become an 'instructor' when in reality they couldn't defend themselves from a bunch of old ladies with handbags. As i say ive done some classes to get a feel for the system.

Its very combative, has some nasty tricks, has some good forward pressure drills. Basically around hitting and hitting until there is f*** all to hit. Lots of elbows, knees etc. IN the class i did they also have some nifty knife disarms which we all know is bollocks, best defence from a knife is to run or knock the kunt out as he draws it.

All depends what you are looking for. if you are looking for a good workout and to get some punches off then go for it. If you are looking for a good self defence system then pop along and see what its like but the classes i visitied was all hitting pads and air drills...great if you want to hit fresh air. There was no emphasis on pre -emptiveness or awareness of body language or striking cues but as i say, if you want a good workout where you can get some shots off then go ahead. They also did some groundwork in the class i went to which i considered to be pretty weak and the instructor was not real comfortable in the clinch or on the ground.

Is it expensive? Make sure the first class is free, any instructor will offer his first class free. if its not, avoid.

I think Commando Krava Maga might be slightly different from the classes i took. Here is a note from an instructor in CKM

"We use open handed strikes not punches, but palms, elbows, fingers to eyes etc. Again to ensure hand remains undamaged in case your assailaint or his friend pulls a knife or gun. A damaged hand makes dis-arming difficult. The knife and gun defences are great and pressure tested remorslessly. You are left with no delusion what is best against a frenzied knife attack (running like f%^K the other way!). But failing that there are defences in the syllabus which do well to protect the vital areas and give you the best change of getting behind & past the opponent hurting the opponent enough to escape .. or dis-arm if you really have to. Again this is due to the special forces background I think. NO holly wood stuf here, facing a knife is nasty! 1st chance you get ... RUN!! Knife threats e.g. to throat etc. are easier to deal with and there is some great stuff in the syllabus. Oh... and definitely NO high kicks ever .. and definitely not against knife attacks"

Go along and take a look. What have you got to lose.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by CFH View Post

Any experiences with it?
    I've taken a few classes and I lived in Israeli around plenty of fully trained guys. If you want to learn to kid butt in a street fight, this is the training for you. Where I took classes, we punched with closed fist. It's the most practical self defense/martial art system I've come across. I don't know what it will be like at a gym, but I took classes at a dedicated Krav Maga school, and it was pretty hardcore. It will teach you to mess people up.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ive never done Krav Maga,but cross training can be very effective,we use alot of Ed Parker Ken-Po in my gym

PanchoVilla Guest

Krav Maga like Pekiti Tirsia Kali (Filipino Martial Arts) is fun to watch and learn. Effective and deadly combat systems

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I never know how to feel about this kind of shit.

What's wrong with:

Boxing--the best you can get at punching someone in the face
    kickboxers/Thai Boxers - the most effective kicks, they're legs are like baseball bats
    Judo - you can break someone's back with a single throw
    BJJ- break someone's arm or choke them to death
    Certain full contact karates- elements of all of the above

And then you have the krav magas of the world. There are surely some things to be learned, but generally speaking (and this is just my interpretation) do you really need to spend good money to learn how to kick someone in the balls or headbut someone in the face? I don't. I can already do those things if I need to, and I taught myself.

And when they show you how to duck to the side while kicking and tossing them down to the ground to avoid a frontal knife attack, that's nothing but pure bullshit. And when they show you how to turn around really fast and disarm someone with a gun, again, that's pure bullshit.

You can read this book and learn all the same stuff. And save a shitload of money.

Amazon.com: The Elite Forces Handbook of Unarmed Combat: Ron Shillingford: Books

So I guess what I'm saying is, for those "self defense" classes, there's a lot of bullshit involved...like when the 98lb girl turns the table on her 4 large male attackers. For hand to hand combat, if you need a deadly techique, use your bayonet.
    Last edited by Von Milash; 10-02-2008 at 11:46 PM.

Thread Information