Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Shin splints

So, I recent dragged my fat ass back into a boxing gym (just for exercise) and started working out again about a week ago. I attend boxing classes twice a week, and I've also been trying to get other exercise as well, playing racquetball etc. The classes are 1 hour long, half focused on cardio and half on boxing technique, hitting the mitts etc. etc.

Anyways, I'm getting some pretty painful shin splints, are there any techniques for preventing/treating these? Historically, I almost always get them when I work out, I used to jog a fair bit and I almost always got them as a result of that as well.

Could my weight have anything to do with it? I'm probably about 20-30 pound higher than I should be.

Sorry if this is the wrong section for this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Shin splints

i had them really bad abt 10 yrs ago, strange cos they just seemed to go, i used to get them even when i was walking

sorry cant be of help

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

make sure you invest in a good pair of running trainers.

They do tend to go away with time because your legs become stronger and more subtle. as long as you don't over do it the muscles in your shins should be able to adapt to cope with the stress they are places under (tonnes of pressure travels up the legs during each stride)

It's usually caused by a muscular imbalance (most injurys are) between the calfs and the tibialis anterior.

The calf muscles straighten your foot and make your toes point towards the floor and the shin muscles do the opposite, if your calf muscles are tight then they are always going to be pull at the foot slightly and the shin muscles are going to have to work extra hard to keep correct form.

Shin splints are so common because the calfs are some of the strongest muscles in the body (they can lift 100% of your body weight up onto a tiny level... the tips of your toes) wheras the shin muscles are relativly weak in comparison.

Get some good running shoes fitted, make sure you warm up and cool down properly, stretch your calfs and shin muscles after training to elongate them and releive pressure.

When I had shin splints I used to feel a nice stretch if I paced around the gym walking and when my foot came up off the floor and straight my toe right out so my calf was contracted and my shin muscles were stretched (every join has groups of mucles which move it one way ie: your bicep flexs your elbow and your tricep straigthens or extends is, stretch one and the other will be shorter than the other)

Hard to explain how to do the stretch (which is why I'm rambling on!!!) but it works.

this picture is also a good static one, I supposed walking and flicking would be 'ballistic stretching' one

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Welcome to pain, CFH.

Ya a good pr. of shoes is a wise start. I got mine from a store that measured gait, how and where you distribute your weight, both walking and running. Paid a bit more for them but ultimately it was worth it. A podiatrist isn't a bad idea either, and certainly a thought if the problem remains a recurring one.

Now that you are working out regularly, you should be thinking about a good overall stretching program...so basically...just agreeing with Adam here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

My hubby used to suffer from these and they caused him an awful lot of problems when he tried to train. He seen a physio and found that the problem was to do with the mechanics of his legs. When he stands up straight with his to legs tight together, his shins and knees dont meet the way most people do, his seem to curve outwards so that there is quite a large gap between his knees, if you know what i mean. He had to get special insoles made to help his legs be in a better position.
    He was also advised to immediatly stop training as it will not get better while training. Ice his legs every evening until the pain goes away. And then start training gently and build it up rather than putting too much pressure on the legs at once. Since getting the insoles he has had no more problems.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

there are many different reason why people get what is called shin splints ( shin splints is now an old term as it generalizs the condition ) i have for years had problems with my shins, after years of physio, poditry, slow build up programmes, multiple iceing, medication. i saw a surgen who operated on me to cure a form of compartment syndrome............the result was great.........i was running 5 times a week, tennis, football with no problem............how ever i now have another problem know as mtss............i will be starting my treatment next week which will mean new insoles made, streching and strenghing of clam, thigh, hamstring, buttucks and spine and back as well as 3 sets of injections over a 3 month period

the best thing you can do is stop training as ity could become a chronic problem....get checked by a good physio so the cause is found

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thumbs up Re: Shin splints

There are several reasons why you may be getting pain in the shins. Please check here for alternatives The Virtual Sports Injury Clinic

and get yourself to a good sports physio. I had to visit 3 before I found a good one that had me up and moving about after two visits and left me with a self treatment programme.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hey folks, thanks for the advice. They've gotten pretty bad, so my girlfriend is going to set me up with an appointment to see her physio guy. It's gotten to the point where it hurts to jog, even a little bit etc., so I'm a little worried that I have done damage. Oh well. I also won't be exercising for the next 1.5 weeks or so because I'm getting a new tat on Sun. and I can't exercise while it is healing.

Thanks again.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Thumbs up Re: Shin splints

for now - apply some arnica oil over the shins then apply an ice bag 3x a day for about 15mins.

Good luck

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I suffed from chin splints a few times when i go jogging.It could be the fact that he needs new trainers after the cushion on his insoles might not be obsorbing the impact of the vibration when his feet pounds the hard surface as he's running.Does he jog or run on hard surfaces??That's why i got my,my trainers were at least 18 months old and its recommend to new new trainers every 6-8months or soo.R.I.C.E,is a good way to get rid of it,REST,ICE,COMPRESSION,ELEVATE!Do that at 20minutes intervels with a ice pack wrapped in a towl about 3 times a day.
    Last edited by yvonne; 01-23-2009 at 10:09 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Look at your stride when you run. If you stride out to far and land heel first it forces your toes down and stretches the muscle that runs along the front of your shin (gives you that pain). Additional, running like this slows you down due to when you are running you are driving your momentum down and into the ground. When you run you want to try to land on your mid-foot, so that you keep you momentum moving forward.
    You must be the change you want to see in the world. --Mahatma Gandhi

Thread Information