Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What do Clottey and Williams have in common?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: What do Clottey and Williams have in common?

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking
    Quote Originally Posted by baliw-ako
    They are Both weak and they are both stupids
    Why is that, may I ask
    Was this original post removed?
    "If there's a better chin in the world than Pryor's, it has to be on Mount Rushmore." -Pat Putnam.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

P4P King,if you really think belts don't mean anything to these guys,that's just absurd. To us,they may be mickey mouse etc etc but to guys like Margarito,Karmazin,they give them hope of landing some fights otherwise they become way too high risk low reward. It gives them some leverage.

As for Margarito not being able to choose his opponents,he didn't HAVE to fight PW and he Clottey was a voluntary defence, so again, I think you're way off. Even though he's not able to pick and choose opponents,he could have fought alot of easier fighters than those 2 and that's the point you're missing. Name me any other name WW who has even fought 1 of these guys! Would Floyd?Cintron?Cotto?Collazo? etc etc etc etc.

And I'll say it again, the belt DOES mean something to fighters. Answer me this, why would Margarito take Top Rank to court(or vice versa)0 so that he could defend v Williams. Because he knows without his title, he has ZERO leverage and no-one would even mention his name. He has also stated he wants to unify for a long time but other belt holders(Zab,Baldo,Floyd) have all filed to take the fights with him. Again,not his fault and again, he can only unify WITH a title.

Sorry bro,those points are weak.You're over elaborating. Margarito fought those guys,no-one else has. Regardless of what the reason,he fought them, and he fought them back to back.It's simple as that. What you're saying doesn't even make sense. Tony could at least fight lower level guys like Zab,etc etc blow them away and get to the top. But nope,he's only fought the top fighters.

And I shall stand by my original point,if ANYONE on this board thinks Tony was ducking Cotto, or ever insinuates it,you are foolish. Williams was much much more higher risk,low reward. So was Clottey. Cotto was a win win fight, there' no reason to duck that fight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Gamo
    P4P King,if you really think belts don't mean anything to these guys,that's just absurd. To us,they may be mickey mouse etc etc but to guys like Margarito,Karmazin,they give them hope of landing some fights otherwise they become way too high risk low reward. It gives them some leverage.

As for Margarito not being able to choose his opponents,he didn't HAVE to fight PW and he Clottey was a voluntary defence, so again, I think you're way off. Even though he's not able to pick and choose opponents,he could have fought alot of easier fighters than those 2 and that's the point you're missing. Name me any other name WW who has even fought 1 of these guys! Would Floyd?Cintron?Cotto?Collazo? etc etc etc etc.

And I'll say it again, the belt DOES mean something to fighters. Answer me this, why would Margarito take Top Rank to court(or vice versa)0 so that he could defend v Williams. Because he knows without his title, he has ZERO leverage and no-one would even mention his name. He has also stated he wants to unify for a long time but other belt holders(Zab,Baldo,Floyd) have all filed to take the fights with him. Again,not his fault and again, he can only unify WITH a title.

Sorry bro,those points are weak.You're over elaborating. Margarito fought those guys,no-one else has. Regardless of what the reason,he fought them, and he fought them back to back.It's simple as that. What you're saying doesn't even make sense. Tony could at least fight lower level guys like Zab,etc etc blow them away and get to the top. But nope,he's only fought the top fighters.

And I shall stand by my original point,if ANYONE on this board thinks Tony was ducking Cotto, or ever insinuates it,you are foolish. Williams was much much more higher risk,low reward. So was Clottey. Cotto was a win win fight, there' no reason to duck that fight.

Seems that anyone who dosent laud Margarito is stupid foolish and a hater to you and points made are weak, I guess your way is the only way to look at things

Alright maybe a little far fetched but Margarito to some in unlikeable and thats it.. some fighters you dont like I guess thats the end of.. Maybe in a few years or months I will change my tune, but for now I am not a fan of the guy so I refuse to go to the same lengths as you to market him and push him... Kinda like how you told me on the RJJ thread when you said you can apprecite me supporting a favorite, I feel the same way as you did for your support of Margarito.... Dosent mean we are all stupid, foolish, idiots with weak points if we dont feel the same as you

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

didn't he have to face Paul or lose that strap he was so carefully holding? So I don't think that was his choice, especially if cotto was down the line that year no way in hell he chose to face paul williams for a fucking tune up....

margarito is okay and dangerous to some extent be cause he's long, big, and busy...but he's in now way in the same class as PBF, or cotto... or obviously williams who I believe would beat him again...even small sugar shane would probably beat him.....

here's something else clottey,williams, and i'll add cotto, PBF, and even judah for that matter all have in common...

THEY DIDN'T LOSE EARLY IN THEIR CAREERS THEN WONDER WHY ITS HARD TO BE MARKETABLE WITH 4 LOSSES ON YOUR RECORD...THEY ALSO DON'T USE CRAPPY EXCUSES AS WHY THEY HAD TO FIGHT EARLY AND THIS AND THAT CRAP ABOUT BEING A TEENAGER FIGHTING MEN...

Also since margarito is so big and bad instead of fighting cintron a guy he already blew out in 5, why the hell didn't he try to avenge his loss to santos..he should feel good about that one I mean he was winning and was stopped on cuts....
    "Sixty forty I kicks yo' ass, Sixty forty I tears yo' ass up" - Roy Jones

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

They both can kick everybody asses in the division if they just had the chance to get the fights. Im also sick of this crap the Margarito will fight anybody. The only reason he will fight anybody is because no one wants to fight him! Why? Cause he is a nobody! The only reason he has some recognition is because he runs around running his F!cking mouth! If he gets that one big fight and wins i gurantee he would do the same thing as cotto,floyd,and what delahoya been doing for the last six years ducking people. By the way Clottley was beating him until he hurt his hand. There should have been a rematch. Go to hell Toni!

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I really don't think anyone is ducking Clottey. Until his fight with Margarito Gamo was the only English speaking man alive to have ever watched him fight. I'd never even heard of him.

He did well for three rounds (he lost round 1 a point annoyingly overlooked by anti Margarito brigaders) but then got overwhelmed by Antonio Margarito and claimed hand damage.

Since then, for reasons completely lost on me his status has been elavated to almost elite status, a status totally underserved in my opinion.

Fair enough he beat a Diego Coralles who moved up two weight classes and who was already shot thanks to his previous ring wars. He couldn't even get Coralles out of there despite landing virtually at will.

He then took on the very ordinary Shamone Alvarez in a fight so unexciting I actually went back and rewatched the Tye Fields undercard fight instead

To paraphrase that great stalwart of wise sayings Winston Churchill, 'Never in the course of human history has one man been esteemed so highly by so many for doing so little'.

Fuck Joshua Clottey

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo
    I really don't think anyone is ducking Clottey. Until his fight with Margarito Gamo was the only English speaking man alive to have ever watched him fight. I'd never even heard of him.

He did well for three rounds (he lost round 1 a point annoyingly overlooked by anti Margarito brigaders) but then got overwhelmed by Antonio Margarito and claimed hand damage.

Since then, for reasons completely lost on me his status has been elavated to almost elite status, a status totally underserved in my opinion.

Fair enough he beat a Diego Coralles who moved up two weight classes and who was already shot thanks to his previous ring wars. He couldn't even get Coralles out of there despite landing virtually at will.

He then took on the very ordinary Shamone Alvarez in a fight so unexciting I actually went back and rewatched the Tye Fields undercard fight instead

To paraphrase that great stalwart of wise sayings Winston Churchill, 'Never in the course of human history has one man been esteemed so highly by so many for doing so little'.

F*** Joshua Clottey
    This is a good post.

I don't like him either. Not really a big Margarito fan, just don't like Clottey.

And I've never seen fans make more out of a hand injury than they did with the Marg/Clottey fight.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

What do Clottey and Williams have in common.....

Oh yeah, I remember, they were both nobodies befor fighting Margarito. It is total BS that Margarito fought the two most feared men in the division because at the time they were not feared at all.

Grant it they are both well skilled fighters and Williams seems to be in the elite level for now. Lets se how he does when he meets other members of that status.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by The Rookie Fan

Oh yeah, I remember, they were both nobodies befor fighting Margarito. It is total BS that Margarito fought the two most feared men in the division because at the time they were not feared at all.

Grant it they are both well skilled fighters and Williams seems to be in the elite level for now. Lets se how he does when he meets other members of that status.

Williams wasn't a nobody. Maybe untested but he was real hyped up.

And most feared men is kind of vague but no I don't think people were beating down his door trying to fight him just because of his freakish size. People still don't seem to interested in fighting Williams.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Margo ducks no man. Cant say that about Cotto,Citron or Floyd.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree what Bilbo said about Clottley on some things except the F@ck Clottley part, but all i think he needs is that one fight to prove what he is made of and than he will get recognition. By the way F@ck Margito!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by OumaFan

Williams wasn't a nobody. Maybe untested but he was real hyped up.

And most feared men is kind of vague but no I don't think people were beating down his door trying to fight him just because of his freakish size. People still don't seem to interested in fighting Williams.

He was hyped up because of his size to be the next Hearns but most boxing fans realized that size is about the only thing they had in common and Hearns could poke you with his finger harder than Williams could punch. It was only after he beat Margo and we saw that he could take a punch that he really became a power in the division.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by JT Rock

Seems that anyone who dosent laud Margarito is stupid foolish and a hater to you and points made are weak, I guess your way is the only way to look at things

Alright maybe a little far fetched but Margarito to some in unlikeable and thats it.. some fighters you dont like I guess thats the end of.. Maybe in a few years or months I will change my tune, but for now I am not a fan of the guy so I refuse to go to the same lengths as you to market him and push him... Kinda like how you told me on the RJJ thread when you said you can apprecite me supporting a favorite, I feel the same way as you did for your support of Margarito.... Dosent mean we are all stupid, foolish, idiots with weak points if we dont feel the same as you
    Anyone who knows anything about me on this forum knows I'm one of the faiere posters here. If someone makes a legit point,I acknowledge and applaud it. Similarly,if someone makes stupid points,I'll tell them. SImple as.

Riiiiight,point in case. Just because YOU had not heard of them does not mean they were not highly rated.Like I said,when Arum mentions Cotto and Williams in the same sentence,then we'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by uwey
    Margo ducks no man. Cant say that about Cotto,Citron or Floyd.
    Dam right.

Quote Originally Posted by Bilbo

Fuck Joshua Clottey
    I agree that he's not an amazin fighter,I agree hes beatable but facts are facts. Collazo,Cintron,and a few other have not wanted to fight him for one reason or another. I won't says he's elite but he does have the skills to make anyone look bad. That's a good post though,good points,based on facts.Something I don't see much in this thread

Does anyone really believe Margarito ducked Cotto?Oumafan?Bil? I want some unbiased points of view here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well they might have been rated and I agree they are good solid fighters. But they were not well known and they were certanly not feared. I mean I saw someone, not gonna say who.."couf" ICB "Couf" post in another thread that at the time Margarito fought him Williams was the most feared welterweight. Give me a break. He was not that well known to be "the most feared welterweight". That was Margarito's title (earned or not) and Williams only got this reputation after beating him not before.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Margarito was the only, I repeat ONLY name WW who had the balls to fight them, and he did so back to back. Oh yeah, and Clottey was a voluntary defence! That's right, VOLUNTARY! I jsut find that amazing. In this day and age, where guys turn down huge sums of $$$$ for one reason or another, Tony,win,lose or draw, is so old school,willing to fight anyone. And remember, there were idiots saying he was ducking Paul...

Cotto(not Cotto himself,but certainly Arum has mentioned EVERYONE bar Williams, even Clottey has been mentioned)

Collazo(who's team didn't turn up at the purse bid for the fight v Clottey and he said Clottey wasn't a big enough fight before taking an untelevised fight last week v a no-name)

Cintron(didn't defend v mandatory Clottey)

And a a few other fighters, have turned down/ducked these fighters. The more they fight, the more Tony deserves credit because, regardless of the outcomes of the fights,he's been willing to fight them when no-one else has.

Sorry dude fact check..

Collazo was supposed to fight Jorge Linares' brother nelson - 15-0 , Possibilty of undercard on hbo but nelson pulled out..

So he took whoever came along considering his hand just mended up and hed trained hard he wasnt going to let it be for nothing..

As for the clottey purse bid i dont know..

Imo no way collazo is scared of the guy.. His team may have skipped the purse bid.. They may not have..

I dont know where you heard it either but its more then likely from a source that favours tony or clottey..

But anyway .. Collazo is not the point..

Tony has Massive nuts..

But he also had trouble fighting clottey.. I bet he would whip him in the rematch.. Because i suspect it wasnt that clottey is as good as tony.. But tony wasnt prepared for him that night and clottey never proved himself on that level or publicly on that level so tony wasnt to know the guy was so tough..

Either way.. On one hand props thats two hard fights.. and clottey is that hard.. But on the other hand im taking away from props saying tony knew clottey was that tough and he didnt care cos i think that was a suprise..
    Immortal Technique

Thread Information