Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Riddick Bowe that Beat Holyfield Vs The Buster Douglas that beat Tyson

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: The Riddick Bowe that Beat Holyfield Vs The Buster Douglas that beat Tyson

The Douglas who beat Tyson was an inspired killing machine (his mother's death likely contributed to his inspiration) who was throwing perfect jabs, savage uppercuts, and great hooks. For that single moment in time, he was the baddest man in the solar system.

At the end of the fight, the most evil man in the solar sysyem was Don King.

“If you want loyalty, buy a dog.” Ricky Hatton

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: The Riddick Bowe that Beat Holyfield Vs The Buster Douglas that beat Tyson

a Legend vs a one match journeyman who fought against an undertrained and overconfident Tyson, Bowe all the way by a staggering k.o
    Hidden Content
    That's the way it is, not the way it ends

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by holmcall View Post
    The Douglas who beat Tyson was an inspired killing machine (his mother's death likely contributed to his inspiration) who was throwing perfect jabs, savage uppercuts, and great hooks. For that single moment in time, he was the baddest man in the solar system.

At the end of the fight, the most evil man in the solar sysyem was Don King.
    busters father left him after he quit agianst tucker & i think all this plus his mothers death left him with a nothing to lose attitude!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ICB View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Drago View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GAME View Post

Buster was good that night but an undertrained, worst ever version of Tyson knocked dhim out in that 8th round. Its the longest count Ive seen and if justice prevailed the fight wouldnt have gone on.
    think the count was abt 14 seconds? wasnt jack dempsey carpenter alot longer?
    You mean Gene Tunney vs Jack Dempsey 2, and yes that was indeed longer. But only because Jack Dempsey didn't go to the neutral corner. And that was because the rules had not long been changed, and Jack Dempsey was used to standing over opponents, hence why he didn't go to the neutral corner against Gene Tunney.
    I stand corrected yeah it was tunney, buster wasnt out of it when he got put down tho he was always in control he would easy of made 10 seconds anyway

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

think the count was abt 14 seconds? wasnt jack dempsey carpenter alot longer?
    You mean Gene Tunney vs Jack Dempsey 2, and yes that was indeed longer. But only because Jack Dempsey didn't go to the neutral corner. And that was because the rules had not long been changed, and Jack Dempsey was used to standing over opponents, hence why he didn't go to the neutral corner against Gene Tunney.
    I stand corrected yeah it was tunney, buster wasnt out of it when he got put down tho he was always in control he would easy of made 10 seconds anyway
    I agree Buster took advantage of the count, but could of gotten up if the count went as quickly as it should have. Well left me correct myself. Buster didn't take advantage of the count, he was in no position to know how slowly it was going and got up at 9. Still I think the Douglas of that night would have beaten Bowe at any time of Bowe's career. I never saw Bowe as all that good. I just rank him around the same level of Greg Page, another unmotivated pretender. Sorry for those who disagree with me. I value your opinions too. Just never saw the spark of greatness many others seem to see. Just my opinion and I have been wrong before.
    Formerly LuciferTheGreat

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by LuciferTheGreat View Post

I agree Buster took advantage of the count, but could of gotten up if the count went as quickly as it should have. Well left me correct myself. Buster didn't take advantage of the count, he was in no position to know how slowly it was going and got up at 9. Still I think the Douglas of that night would have beaten Bowe at any time of Bowe's career. I never saw Bowe as all that good. I just rank him around the same level of Greg Page, another unmotivated pretender. Sorry for those who disagree with me. I value your opinions too. Just never saw the spark of greatness many others seem to see. Just my opinion and I have been wrong before.
    Great points. His issues were taining and the buffet table. He could have been one of the very best because he had great skills for a big man. He was a great inside fighter, for example. I really think the Holyfield Trilogy ruined him, as he too (and gave) tremendous punishment in all 3 bouts. A pity, really, that he never fought Lewis in the pros. The Golata beat downs simply finished him off, but he was a shell by then. He likely will end up as another boxing tragedy (maybe hhe already is).

“If you want loyalty, buy a dog.” Ricky Hatton

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Except for the knock down Buster pretty well dominated Tyson that night. does anybody have camera shots of the time keeper? I seem to remember seeing a quick shot of the timekeeper and the ref looking at him and i could see 3 then four fingers held up. I haven't seen the fight in years. At least you could could count from four if that shot is available to see how long the count was.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Boy I guess I'm in a real minority here. I thought for 2-3 fights Bowe was a GREAT heavy. I thought Douglas was really good that night, but Tyson was, well, Tyson

I'd pick Riddick.
    Hidden Content Bring me the best and I will knock them out-Alexis Arguello
    I'm not God, but I am something similar-Robert Duran

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I go with Bowe on this one Holyfeild was a better fight then Tyson was he won big fights.

Mentioned
    232 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Nobody on eaarth coulda beat Douglas that night. Not even Bowe.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Susprised by this thread, I guess I am in the minority when I say Bowe takes him out. Sorry but underdog or not Douglas had physical advantages over Tyson that wouldn't be had against Bowe. That combined with the fact that Bowe was a great inside fighter for his size is enough to convince me to roll wit Big Daddy.......btw I can't stand Bowe's antics or his corner, especially that manager of his....Rock Newman?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If Tyson had done the right things leading up to that fight nobody today would even remember Buster Douglas. He had an amazing night but realistically he didn't have the tools to hang with a properly trained Tyson. I don't care how muc you miss your mom, punches still hurt. Bowe beat a young, heavily determined champ and he did it quite convincingly. Bowe all the way on this one

El Kabong Guest

Bowe, (regardless of the fact that I think he's massively overrated) always had swagger and was always in fights to win them. Buster on the other hand ran hot & cold and when I say cold I mean FREEZING cold!

I think Bowe was the better all around boxer, better power puncher, and had the better arsenal of punches. Bowe ALSO had the better trainer.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Bowe, easily. Not even close.

Douglas fought an ill prepared, over confident and distracted Tyson who was absolutely awful on the night. Tyson just stood straight in front of him like a statue and Douglas hit him with pretty much every punch he threw. Apart from the knockdown in round 8, Douglas had everything his own way. I imagine most top heavyweights would have beaten Tyson that night. He really was that bad.

Bowe had to dig really deep to pull it out against Holyfield using a combination of boxing and sheer guts and determination. There is no way Buster Douglas could have beaten that Riddick Bowe.

jon09 Guest

Eddie Futch would have had a gameplan for Big Daddy to take out the Buster inside 8.

Thread Information