Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Did Ray Leonard avoid Aaron Pryor?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Did Ray Leonard avoid Aaron Pryor?

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle
    Leonard would have whipped him....Duran would have whipped him too

Pryor was good but not on their level
    how was pryor not on there level ? pryor was an extremely good boxer and Leonard was avoiding him no question its just that Sugar Ray had different excuses

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sugar Ray wouldnt duck anyone IMO. Not many people would come out of retirement and straight into a fight with one of the best in the sport.
    Leonard takes pryor out imo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by cockey cockney
    Sugar Ray wouldnt duck anyone IMO. Not many people would come out of retirement and straight into a fight with one of the best in the sport.
    I agree with the whole statement until you got to the take Pryor out part..Ray would out point him but not take him out ( I was assuming you mean KO or TKO if I am wrong I apologize in advance )
    Hidden Content IN CASE THEY ALL FORGOT WHAT REAL HEAVYWEIGHT POWER WAS!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Lyle
    Leonard would have whipped him....Duran would have whipped him too

Pryor was good but not on their level
    I think you're NUTS!!

As much as I hated Pryor, he was one of the best out there....

If you were the champ and Pryor was in your weight division, if you didnt right out fight him it was because you were scared....

I felt at the time one of the best fighters Pryor ever went up against was Alexis....I loved Alexis, he was one of the most respectful fighters I have ever seen in the ring.. Pryor's cornerman cheated the first fight, but if you ever got to see the second fight, you would have gotten to see the one thing that made Pryor good and that was Skill....The man had SKILL...

SRL avoided him because he knew that Pryor would beat him and beat him into retirement.....

I think SRL would have done the same thing he did to Hearns and that was make pryor wait five years then fight him when he was starting to get out of sync....SRL avoided Hearns for a long time before he would ever fight him, why?? Cuz Tommy would have knocked his ass clean out....

So yeah, I think SRL avoided Pryor as he did other fights he could have fought when the time was right for all included...

SRL did only one thing I felt was smart and that was to make people hold out, build up the money and then get em while they were old....

Good Luck,

Coach

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If all boxers knew that all they had to do was fight the last thirty seconds of a boxing match, you better believe that alot of others would have done it also....

When you say he came out of retirement to beat one of the best, which retirement are you talking about If I remember right, SRL retired like 3 times from boxing before he basically got whipped out of the sport....

Good Luck,

Coach

ICB Guest

i think hes talking about the when he retired in 1984 and comeback in 1987 and hagler wasnt shot like i said in my other post he just come off two best wins of hes career against tommy hearns and john mugabi and ray leonard hadnt fought for 3 years so he done very well to beat hagler

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sugar Ray would seem to duck people (Hearns and Hagler) but mostly it was Angelo Dundee cooking up the pre fight build up

but Pryor called out Leonard publicly and Leonard told the public that he wouldnt be fighting Pryor

STYLES MAKE FIGHTS ....i'm sure Leonard felt he could out-slick Hagler
    but Pryor was accurate and very very fast and unlike most swarmers wasnt 100% brawler ...i think it makes perfect sense that Leonard could see himself winning over Hagler but not wanting to chance it over Pryor

Pryor-Hatton would have been awesome to watch,Theyd beat the $hit out of eachother lol

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I can't really see how anyone can say Leonard ducked anybody. Who else boasts victories over three of perhaps the top 10 p4p guys in the history of boxing?

He would have beaten Pryor the same as he beat Wilfred Benitez

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ICE COLD BOXING
    i think hes talking about the when he retired in 1984 and comeback in 1987 and hagler wasnt shot like i said in my other post he just come off two best wins of hes career against tommy hearns and john mugabi and ray leonard hadnt fought for 3 years so he done very well to beat hagler

That fight could have gone either way
    Hidden Content IN CASE THEY ALL FORGOT WHAT REAL HEAVYWEIGHT POWER WAS!!!

ICB Guest

he still won after being off for 3 years to beat best middleweight at that time thats great achievement in my book

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by means2184
    Sugar Ray would seem to duck people (Hearns and Hagler) but mostly it was Angelo Dundee cooking up the pre fight build up

but Pryor called out Leonard publicly and Leonard told the public that he wouldnt be fighting Pryor

STYLES MAKE FIGHTS ....i'm sure Leonard felt he could out-slick Hagler
    but Pryor was accurate and very very fast and unlike most swarmers wasnt 100% brawler ...i think it makes perfect sense that Leonard could see himself winning over Hagler but not wanting to chance it over Pryor

Pryor-Hatton would have been awesome to watch,Theyd beat the $hit out of eachother lol
    Good post until you say Pryor Hatton would have been an awesome match... Ricky would get killed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by DaxxKahn
    I agree with the whole statement until you got to the take Pryor out part..Ray would out point him but not take him out ( I was assuming you mean KO or TKO if I am wrong I apologize in advance )
    Yer i meant by decision mate.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Aaron Pryor was once asked what kinda fighter would it take to defeat him: He said he'd have to outsmart him ( Ray was a smart fighter but as smart as Pryor in the ring ), he would have to out bully him ( no chance of Ray doing that ), & he'd have to out fight me ( no one out fought Pryor ). I just don't see Ray winning that fight.

The Best There Is, The Best There Was, The Best There Ever Will Be

ICB Guest

it would be great fight i dont really like choosing because i liked both fighters

ICB Guest

i dont think its fair people saying he fought people when they were past there prime the guy is a legend he fought everyone except pryor but if u remember leonard retired so many times i really dont think he would of ducked pryor when he fought guys like hearns duran and hagler

Thread Information