Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dan Rafael blog: Serious talks underway for Pavlik-Williams and other tid bits

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Dan Rafael blog: Serious talks underway for Pavlik-Williams and other tid bits

Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
    Sorry, but honestly, I don't know why they are even negotiating fights for Pavlik right now, when they are still legally tied to Mora.

Sergio is not going away on this one. He wants this fight bad, and Sergio is one of those guys where his pride means more to him than money. I mean he offered Forrest a "winner take all" fight for a rubber match, because he hated the way he lost, and restoring his pride meant more to him than the money, so he was willing to put his money where his mouth was. Forrest wasn't.

He will not go away quietly on this.
    They will find away to get out of that fight. It's not even 100% clear from what I've read that it's legally binding. It's an awful fight anyway and might fail to eclipse even 100,000 buys as a pay per view.

Mentioned
    429 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Dan Rafael blog: Serious talks underway for Pavlik-Williams and other tid bits

Sorry, but honestly, I don't know why they are even negotiating fights for Pavlik right now, when they are still legally tied to Mora.

Sergio is not going away on this one. He wants this fight bad, and Sergio is one of those guys where his pride means more to him than money. I mean he offered Forrest a "winner take all" fight for a rubber match, because he hated the way he lost, and restoring his pride meant more to him than the money, so he was willing to put his money where his mouth was. Forrest wasn't.

The viewers might though ........jk . If they do have a agreed contract it will have to be sorted out.I can see Mora giving Pavlik fits but think it would boil down to fire power and durability,favoring Pavlik.

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well that's probably because Forrest doesn't want to even risk not getting paid, which I can't blame him for. Mora can afford to lose to Forrest again, Forrest can't. The guy would be considered one of the best of the decade if he hadn't lost to 2 quite frankly b or c level fighters. That's no disrespect to them, but Forrest should've been getting himself into contention with the likes of Oscar. But I agree Pavlik should honour the contract even though I would much rather see Williams beat him, the fact is you don't sign a contract then not fulfill it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by JazMerkin View Post

Well that's probably because Forrest doesn't want to even risk not getting paid, which I can't blame him for. Mora can afford to lose to Forrest again, Forrest can't. The guy would be considered one of the best of the decade if he hadn't lost to 2 quite frankly b or c level fighters. That's no disrespect to them, but Forrest should've been getting himself into contention with the likes of Oscar. But I agree Pavlik should honour the contract even though I would much rather see Williams beat him, the fact is you don't sign a contract then not fulfill it.
    Depends on the language of the contract. Mora's team claims it says one thing, Pavlik's team another. That is such a dreadful fight, I really hope Mora's team loses. I have nothing against Mora and can't blame him for pushing for the chance, but that is just a terrible fight. Pavlik-Williams is FAR more compelling and better for boxing.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ClubberLang View Post

They will find away to get out of that fight. It's not even 100% clear from what I've read that it's legally binding. It's an awful fight anyway and might fail to eclipse even 100,000 buys as a pay per view.
    Well I know Sergio, so I guess you can say that I get some inside information.

Plus he came out last week on FNF stating that he wasn't going away, and that lawyers are involved.

Also, right around the time of the Cotto/Clottey fight, Arum proclaimed that he will have an "issue" straightened out in order to make a fight for Pavlik, probably within a week. Well it's been over a month, and that "issue" is still there.

I know a lot of people don't like the fight, but Sergio has wanted to fight Pavlik since they were at the Olympic Trials together, and I would love to see him get his chance. I think his style would give Pavlik fits actually.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Plus he came out last week on FNF stating that he wasn't going away, and that lawyers are involved.

Also, right around the time of the Cotto/Clottey fight, Arum proclaimed that he will have an "issue" straightened out in order to make a fight for Pavlik, probably within a week. Well it's been over a month, and that "issue" is still there.

I know a lot of people don't like the fight, but Sergio has wanted to fight Pavlik since they were at the Olympic Trials together, and I would love to see him get his chance. I think his style would give Pavlik fits actually.
    I agree that Mora could give Pavlik some problems with his slick style, and like I said I have no problem with Mora. My problem with the fight is that it's to be done as a PPV and the contrast of styles do not figure to make for an exciting fight even if it might wind up being close. I think Arum will find a way to get out of it. Maybe some step aside money for Sergio with the promise that he gets the next shot, something like that.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Too bad this Mora fight didn't happen a couple of years ago like it was supposed to before Mora was making too many demands; if I remember correctly.

I like Mora; but tbh I keep forgetting about this contract because it's just not a fight I am keen on enough to keep remembering about. Though I think Sergio could fair well in the fight; not win but do better than expected by some. His problem is he will take punches just to lick blood off his gloves; not wise against Pavlik,
    Hidden Content

Marching Towards the Abyss...............

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree that Mora could give Pavlik some problems with his slick style, and like I said I have no problem with Mora. My problem with the fight is that it's to be done as a PPV and the contrast of styles do not figure to make for an exciting fight even if it might wind up being close. I think Arum will find a way to get out of it. Maybe some step aside money for Sergio with the promise that he gets the next shot, something like that.
    Well I agree that it should not be a PPV fight, but that was Arum's doing, not Sergio's, and I'm sure he could care less if it was, as long as it happens.

And it would have be some BIG step aside money that Arum would have to put up, and I'm not sure he's willing to do that.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well, Diane, I know Sergio is a friend of yours so you want him to get his chance, but I don't think I'm alone in saying this fight does nothing at all for me. I wouldn't pay $10 to see it on PPV, and I don't see it being very entertaining. Sergio has a chance, but he'll have to turn it into a stinker to pull it off and I have no interest in watching that.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by LEGION View Post
    Too bad this Mora fight didn't happen a couple of years ago like it was supposed to before Mora was making too many demands; if I remember correctly.
    He had a deal to fight Taylor but refused to do it because it would be in Taylor's backyard.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well I agree that it should not be a PPV fight, but that was Arum's doing, not Sergio's, and I'm sure he could care less if it was, as long as it happens.

And it would have be some BIG step aside money that Arum would have to put up, and I'm not sure he's willing to do that.
    Supposedly, neither HBO nor Showtime were interested in buying the fight. So it basically got put on PPV by virtue of lack of interest.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He had a deal to fight Taylor but refused to do it because it would be in Taylor's backyard.

You're right of course; a big major bad on my part.
    Hidden Content

Marching Towards the Abyss...............

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I would pay any PPV price to see Pavlik KO Mora.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by RP33 View Post
    I would pay any PPV price to see Pavlik KO Mora.
    That's the thing though...I think what's more likely is that Mora makes it a stinker with Pavlik chasing him around the ring and Mora trying to pot-shot like he did in the first fight with Forrest. I don't know if he would do enough to win but I see it going to the cards in a dull affair. Not a fight I have any interest in whatsoever. Hoefully, we get the Williams fight instead.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That was one of the smartest things he ever did IMO. The only way he was winning that fight was by ko, which was pretty much impossible. People slagged him off (and still do) for that decision, but it led him directly to a LMW championship and legitimacy. If he had fought Taylor and lost (as he almost certainly would have) he would have immediately because completely irrelevant (even more so) and marginal; that fight would have effectively ended his career.

Thread Information