0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Demetrius Hopkins

Quote Originally Posted by wacko3205
    Quote Originally Posted by ender
    Would not be talked about if his uncle wasn't old toothless.
    Totally disagree with that statement. It carries little to no weight at all.

Hopkins D, has already carved his place out in his division. Whether he is ready for the elite had hitters is still debatable. I'd love to see him match against Lazcano or Rodriguez.

Demetrius has a great defense & as of late...he can brawl & punch...just like Big Hop in his early career.

He just needs to be moved along at a gentle pace.

Great fighter with lots of promise.

GREAT fighter ? That word gets thrown around waaay too much. He hasn't fought anyone of note to be even considered more than a prospect . In this day anad age that and a good connect( his Uncle) will get you contender status before you've earned it.

How is my statement baseless ? Would we even know who this kid is if BHOP wasn't related to him? Probably not.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Would not be talked about if his uncle wasn't old toothless.
    LMFAO ! no doubt having an uncle like Hopkins got him quick air play . but i think he has come thru rather nice and is a good 140 lb fighter.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Would he be talked about as much if his uncle wasn't Bernard, probably not but he's a 24-0-1 prospect in the junior welterweight division with some televised wins, I'd be talking about him anyway. Malignaggi was talked about, Urango was talked about, Arnaoutis was talked about and that's just in the 140 division, so its not like he'd be completely unknown if he wasn't Bernard's nephew.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

How do think he GOT those fights on TV ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

i think bernard has helped him in the ways that he has big connections with t.v stations and plus the kid is a prospect and bernard obviously got him into golden boy...
    but yet i think it could be a hinderance that bernard is his uncle becuase i just cant look at the kid in the same way, like he just doesnt quite match up to the excecutioner,
    i feel hes a definate prospect, probably a prospect ready for the step up and im confident that golden boy will get him some good fights in the future, but i wouldnt say he is title material just yet.
    maybe a wbu or ibo or something? the kid has some big expectations on his shoulders because of that surname though thats for sure
    peace
    Immortal Technique

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

How did Juan Urango, Arnaoutis, and Malignaggi get fights on TV early in their career?

With ESPN sometimes showing two shows a week, with showbox, OLN now, even soleo boxeo its not hard for a prospect to get on TV.

How many American based prospects are just never on TV early in their career? How do the Petersons get on TV, Allan Green, everybody with a decent promoter has connections and can get fights on ESPN or Shobox or whatever.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah but who was it up to to get attention and show the goods. Hopkins didn't fight for him. Sure he may have got him on TV but if Demetrius didn't deliver he wouldn't be anywhere. So enough of that
    Life is still worth while If You Just Smile - MJ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by OumaFan
    How did Juan Urango, Arnaoutis, and Malignaggi get fights on TV early in their career?

With ESPN sometimes showing two shows a week, with showbox, OLN now, even soleo boxeo its not hard for a prospect to get on TV.

How many American based prospects are just never on TV early in their career? How do the Petersons get on TV, Allan Green, everybody with a decent promoter has connections and can get fights on ESPN or Shobox or whatever.
    It's actually VERY hard for a prospect to get on TV. There aren't that many dates compared to how many prospects there are. For every guy you mentioned, there are 20-30 others out there. At least.

I don't see much that is very special in DHop . That is why I have a problem with him being where he is. He hasn't beaten anyone special( That last KO was very good but the fight itself? BOOOORRING) and is being matched up very carefully.

There will be plenty more of this until the guy beats someone credible. Someone that isn't on a recent losing streak like his last opponent who was Ko'd by other prospects and contenders .

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

It's actually VERY hard for a prospect to get on TV. There aren't that many dates compared to how many prospects there are. For every guy you mentioned, there are 20-30 others out there. At least.

I don't see much that is very special in DHop . That is why I have a problem with him being where he is. He hasn't beaten anyone special( That last KO was very good but the fight itself? BOOOORRING) and is being matched up very carefully.

There will be plenty more of this until the guy beats someone credible. Someone that isn't on a recent losing streak like his last opponent who was Ko'd by other prospects and contenders .

But there are so many that do, hell Derek Bryant's been on ESPN like 5 times. The area you come from matters, guys from Minnesota or Kentucky aren't going to be as exposed as guys from Philly, but what I'm saying is that a lot of guys who are not the nephew of somebody famous are on TV a lot in their early career, Mike Marrone's been on ESPN a couple times and he's to put it nicely pretty average. I could go on for a while.

Now whether he's a good prospect or not is an opinion, I'm not gonna argue that with you, if you don't think he's very good then that's your opinion. My opinion is he's pretty skilled, pretty fast with a decent punch but that's just an opinion just like yours.

I do think its time to step up and see how good he is.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

like I said

Yeah but who was it up to to get attention and show the goods. Hopkins didn't fight for him. Sure he may have got him on TV but if Demetrius didn't deliver he wouldn't be anywhere. So enough of that

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I personally think D Hopkins is one of the better fighters riding the star of their Daddies or Uncles obviously Floyd Mayweather Jr. has the goods. Chaz Witherspoon is talented. and D. Hopkins is talented. but look at J.C. Chavez JR. this guys is on T.V all the time and i think he is shit. and Camacho JR is shit. all the kids like ( Mcgirt Jr,) many people deserve a TV slot over that kid. anyway thats my thought !

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Majesty
    like I said

Like I said, there'll be plenty of that as long as he fights guy son losing streaks. He hasn't had a step up bout yet .

Check out Doug Fischer's article a week or so back about prospects and tell me that DHop didn't benefit from being a Hopkins.

Yes he had to win the fights but who is he beating ? Any of the prospects in Doug's article could beat the guys DHop is beating and that is the point.

Not even close to enough of that.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Majesty
    like I said

Like I said, there'll be plenty of that as long as he fights guy son losing streaks. He hasn't had a step up bout yet .

Check out Doug Fischer's article a week or so back about prospects and tell me that DHop didn't benefit from being a Hopkins.

Yes he had to win the fights but who is he beating ? Any of the prospects in Doug's article could beat the guys DHop is beating and that is the point.

Not even close to enough of that.
    he beat Bravo before the contender

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Lords Gym

I personally think D Hopkins is one of the better fighters riding the star of their Daddies or Uncles obviously Floyd Mayweather Jr. has the goods. Chaz Witherspoon is talented. and D. Hopkins is talented. but look at J.C. Chavez JR. this guys is on T.V all the time and i think he is S***. and Camacho JR is S***. all the kids like ( Mcgirt Jr,) many people deserve a TV slot over that kid. anyway thats my thought !
    Now that I can agee with. JCC jr. is n't shit but he ain't TV worthy yet. He is essentially having his amatuer career while we watch. Kind of like Tom Cruise's early films where he was still learning to act like a human.

McGirt's kid is pretty skilled but has zero pop from what I can tell.

I like Witherspoon but he since hsi last TV bout, he has been retooling . I'll be doing an interview with him soon to check in on his progress. That guy is an awesome interview but he keeps the latest hours possible.

Paez,jr. got a big gift recently cos of who he is.

I am not a fan of nepotism in any form.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I enjoyed your interview of Chaz last time. I like that kid. He has the work ethic and desire to be in great shape and keep the punches going. now he just needs to sit on the punches better. and he will have a good go of it in my opinion. ! Always a pleasure talking boxing with you Gabe!

Thread Information