Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Quintana/Williams

I never knew the fight was even taking place tonight. Man was I in for a shocker when I logged in here a while ago.

Complacency is the worst opponent a fighter will ever face. At one time, when a fighter won a belt, it was said that he became 25% better just for winning it. It instilled confidence and drive in them and helped them reach greater heights.

Now when many win one, they sit around and just look for more green, allow distractions to get a hold of them and lose sight of what got them there. It is not the trainers, the trainers do the same job they did the last fight. It is the fighters that lose focus of the long term and treat the sport as a get rich quick scheme instead of looking at it as a career.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Deanrw View Post
    I never knew the fight was even taking place tonight. Man was I in for a shocker when I logged in here a while ago.

Complacency is the worst opponent a fighter will ever face. At one time, when a fighter won a belt, it was said that he became 25% better just for winning it. It instilled confidence and drive in them and helped them reach greater heights.

Now when many win one, they sit around and just look for more green, allow distractions to get a hold of them and lose sight of what got them there. It is not the trainers, the trainers do the same job they did the last fight. It is the fighters that lose focus of the long term and treat the sport as a get rich quick scheme instead of looking at it as a career.

Well said. Too many of these guys win a big fight and thinks thats the end of it, think thats the time to count the money.

Maybe it's the age we live in - reality TV, win a million dollars, book deal, film deal...

So many people just don't want to have to work for a living.

I know - I'm one of them
    "I take good care of my people. I like to inflict permanent psychological damage."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post

Well said. Too many of these guys win a big fight and thinks thats the end of it, think thats the time to count the money.

Maybe it's the age we live in - reality TV, win a million dollars, book deal, film deal...

So many people just don't want to have to work for a living.

I know - I'm one of them
    Well nobody likes getting up for work!hehe The drive comes down to responsibility and family. I agree 100% though. Most fighters want that big megafight to become mega rich, they sit on their asses and tell everyone that this person and that person are all avoiding them. They gain nothing in experience and are left vulnerable when they sit idle.

This is why I respect guys like Hopkins and Calzaghe as they took the long road and honed their skills. They took small steps to become big stars.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Greig View Post
    Is anybody else smelling the upset here?

I'm kind of getting a similar feeling to a few years ago when we had those short title reigns at 147 - besides Cotto, nobody fills me with any confidence.

Six Heads
    Forrest
    Mayorga
    Spinks

Nobody ruled for very long.

That plus I'm not really sold on Williams just yet. Of course, I'll be probably on here tomorrow deleting this after Williams wins by first round KO...

Spinks could have won the title back if he chose to....He came in the rematch with Zab out of shape and cocky....If he came in like the first bout he would have won again....He would have held the title a good while....instead he choose to go up to 154
    Hidden Content IN CASE THEY ALL FORGOT WHAT REAL HEAVYWEIGHT POWER WAS!!!

Thread Information