Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Who next for Floyd?

Quote Originally Posted by captainanddew View Post
    Bradley doesn't make sense unless he beats Pac.
    Alvarez is not ready. I'm sick of hearing about him facing someone like Floyd. There are steps you take in a career. He hasn't beaten a top 3 guy at 154. He hasn't beaten a top 75 P4P fighter yet. You don't go from facing Rhodes, shot Cintron, shot Mosley, to facing Floyd. How about fighting some near the top at 154.

Martinez is the only fight other than Pac that Floyd should consider.

Don't see Floyd taking it.

It isn't the size (Cotto's weight not given in ring last night, but Martinez weighed 165 for a recent fight while 154 pounders Canelo and Mosley weighed 167 and 164 respectively).

It is the fact that martinez is the same size as the 154 pounders but is also that damn good.
    Cotto is a lot damn better than Martinez, I think he would even beat him if Sergio came down in weight which he's said he can.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

In what aspects is Cotto far better than martinez? If you mean a resume then I would agree with you but in terms of skill I think they are very different from each other and can't really be compared.

Now I undrestand that in boxing the best way we can judge a boxer's skillset is looking at his resume of fights but you must also grant me this fact that there are many boxers who are very talented and yet if you go by their fight records nothing would stand out.

I think a match up with Martinez or Pacquiao would be truly great. However the back and forth with Pacquiao's camp, for whatever reason it ( don't want to get into the blood test who' dodging who discussion here) did not come through and its just tiring.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

We al know the truthful answer to that question and there is only one viable option down the table.
    Hidden Content
    That's the way it is, not the way it ends

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

With all due respect people need to forget about Floyd/Pac and just move on. It was doomed from the start, doomed at its peak and now doomed from those failures.

Personally I think its going to be Martinez @155 offered to him by Martinez and perhaps while he is in the pen. I'm pretty sure it would have to be 155 in order to fight for the title. Or just make it a super fight and screw the trinket.

Floyd is now talking retirement at FN. he's 80% leaning that way because he says there is nobody left to fight. So clearly the ubiquitous phantom fight is dead.

I have held the notion for many a year that deep down inside there is a little envy and resentment towards Leonard.

Leonard retired 3 times and after the 3rd amounting to three years he jumped up two divisions and went and fought Hagler.

This would be Floyds third retirement if he goes ahead and and he's going into jail with HBO attached to his hip. See the correlation? What a marketing ploy and a way for Floyd to step out of the shadow of Leonard.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by IamInuit View Post
    With all due respect people need to forget about Floyd/Pac and just move on. It was doomed from the start, doomed at its peak and now doomed from those failures.

Personally I think its going to be Martinez @155 offered to him by Martinez and perhaps while he is in the pen. I'm pretty sure it would have to be 155 in order to fight for the title. Or just make it a super fight and screw the trinket.

Floyd is now talking retirement at FN. he's 80% leaning that way because he says there is nobody left to fight. So clearly the ubiquitous phantom fight is dead.

I have held the notion for many a year that deep down inside there is a little envy and resentment towards Leonard.

Leonard retired 3 times and after the 3rd amounting to three years he jumped up two divisions and went and fought Hagler.

This would be Floyds third retirement if he goes ahead and and he's going into jail with HBO attached to his hip. See the correlation? What a marketing ploy and a way for Floyd to step out of the shadow of Leonard.
    That's quite an observation there. Makes sense.
    He Who Is Brave Is Free

Wisdom, compassion and courage are the three universally recognised moral qualities of men.

Mentioned
    1679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

(Floyd has to get rid of Bubba in prison first.) Floyd will fight later in the year probably against Berto.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by DavilaJones View Post
    In what aspects is Cotto far better than martinez? If you mean a resume then I would agree with you but in terms of skill I think they are very different from each other and can't really be compared.

Now I undrestand that in boxing the best way we can judge a boxer's skillset is looking at his resume of fights but you must also grant me this fact that there are many boxers who are very talented and yet if you go by their fight records nothing would stand out.

I think a match up with Martinez or Pacquiao would be truly great. However the back and forth with Pacquiao's camp, for whatever reason it ( don't want to get into the blood test who' dodging who discussion here) did not come through and its just tiring.
    He has vastly superior craft and ring smarts, is more accurate and has a wider array of punches, much better defence.. Martinez is bigger stronger and faster and may beat Cotto at this point, but he is not on the same level as a boxer. If you take away the spectacular KO of Paul Williams (AKA a spectacular KO waiting to happen) I see no reason people would praise Martinez the way they do. The man is very beatable imo.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Pac, this is a win win for both guys.
    [SIGPIC]
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I can't believe people would rather see Floyd retire than fight anyone other than Pac

It's the fight we all want to see, but some of us may never see a fighter of Floyd's level again in our lifetimes. As much as I think he is a bit of a dick, I always feel very lucky to be able to watch him live

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by 0james0 View Post
    I can't believe people would rather see Floyd retire than fight anyone other than Pac

It's the fight we all want to see, but some of us may never see a fighter of Floyd's level again in our lifetimes. As much as I think he is a bit of a dick, I always feel very lucky to be able to watch him live
    Same here, I don't even mind risking seeing PAC lose to Mayweather no shame on that Manny is a legend and ATG regardless. We just want to see this fight happen soon. Saying that ofcourse I want to see Manny whoop Floyd
    [SIGPIC]
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

fight: lots of best ranked guys younger than 26 years old (they could be champions when he retires and it would be fun

Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Manos de Piedra View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by IamInuit View Post

That's quite an observation there. Makes sense.
    Yeah.

He is still in Marcianos shadow cast by 49 wins, maybe hell just add a few bums over a few of years @ 3.1 bums per year he'll get 50 .
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    (Floyd has to get rid of Bubba in prison first.) Floyd will fight later in the year probably against Berto.
    Berto is an Al Haymon fighter like Floyd, so I don't think so.

I'd say 65% chance he fights Martinez at 154. Which is the fight I'd most like to see -- it's a harder fight for Floyd than Manny is.

There really are no other compelling fights besides those two, and Floyd knows it. I thought it would be Alvarez next but Oscar says (correctly) that Alvarez is not ready.

Of course, if Bradley beats Pac, 99% percent chance Floyd fights Timmy next.

Mentioned
    1679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by shza View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Berto is an Al Haymon fighter like Floyd, so I don't think so.

I'd say 65% chance he fights Martinez at 154. Which is the fight I'd most like to see -- it's a harder fight for Floyd than Manny is.

There really are no other compelling fights besides those two, and Floyd knows it. I thought it would be Alvarez next but Oscar says (correctly) that Alvarez is not ready.

Of course, if Bradley beats Pac, 99% percent chance Floyd fights Timmy next.
    Cannot see Floyd risk a fight with Martinez, too dangerous for him. Floyd needs a partner for a PPV fight.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

The fight I most want to see Floyd take is Martinez. Frankly, even more than Pacquiao. However, it would have to be 154 or above for Martinez to be effective, and I'm not sure Floyd is comfortable above 154. Plus, Floyd has said he only fights boxers at their premium weight, so a catch weight fight is out of the question. I never blame a fighter for not going up in weight so I wouldn't blame Floyd for not doing it here. If it were to happen, and weight wasn't an issue, both come in comfortable at whatever weight they chose, I favor Pretty Boy. I'm a big Zoolander fan too.

One thing that makes sense is for Martinez to face Cotto to see if he can beat Cotto for the chance to face Floyd. Cotto looked better than I expected this last weekend. Therefore, I'm not entirely convinced Martinez beats Cotto at this point. Martinez has showed some vulnerability in his recent wins. The main danger for Cotto in that match-up is that Martinez takes a breather in the middle rounds and catches Cotto hard in the final rounds, when Cotto slows down.

Other than Martinez, if Berto spectacularly smashes Ortiz in the rematch, a Berto fight would make sense at 147. I understand they are both Haymon fighters, but for Pretty Boy, I'm pretty confident Haymon would make an exception. However, Andre Ward, another big client of Haymon's (but not on PBF's level) somehow isn't facing Anthony Dirrell, so you never know...

Other than Berto or Martinez, I don't know what other options are out there. Khan isn't a bad option, I guess, but he needs a fight at welterweight first, per Richard Shaefer. Oscar has stated that Canelo isn't ready for Floyd.

Thread Information