11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Its Mayweather v Cotto on May 5th

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Demise View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    Sure Mayweather probably wins this by a wide points margin, but STYLES make fights. Miguel Cotto is a much more complete fighter than what Floyd has faced since De la Hoya. Mosley had power and handspeed, no defense. Zab had no discipline, Ortiz couldn't box, JMM had no power. Miguel Cotto can box, he has power, good timing, decent defense, a solid chin, a warrior's heart, and he can switch up from orthodox to southpaw.

To me, this is a very dangerous fight for Floyd. Cotto is sneaky with his power and sneaky with his speed. He doesn't look quick, but he can catch you coming in and put a hurting on you. Miguel also doesn't care where the hell he hits you he just wants to do damage...he stopped Gianaluca Branco with a left hook to the shoulder!!!

If Cotto prepares to go 12, uses the jab effectively AND remembers to attack the body.....well we might just have ourselves a fight fellas!!!!
    He did. But that was what 6 years ago? That Cotto doesn't exist any more

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh......... that's 3 steps back.

Mentioned
    531 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Of course I'm a massive Cotto fan, and will be rooting for him to pull off the upset. "Rooting" might even be slightly understated. I'll probably be yelling my head off, much like everybody else I'll be watching the fight with.

And like Diane, I too feel Cotto can pull it off, with the right game plan. It helps that he got this new Cuban trainer. The guy did wonders with Cotto in preparation for the Margacheato rematch. He got Cotto back into his boxing ways, and put some speed and reflexes back into his game.

Having said all that... I also think Cotto would've matched up better with Pacquaio in a rematch of their first fight. In fact... I think Cotto would've likely pulled off the upset had he and Pacquaio fought again, now that Joe Santiago is no longer Cotto's trainer. But it's not Pacquaio Cotto is facing now... it's Mayweather. Cotto will have to have the perfect game plan, and execute it to a "T". But he's a warrior, and as someone very well put it.... he always gives us a good fight. So I'm excited and looking forward to it.

And good for Cotto. He does deserve the mega-fight after all these years.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This is about 3 years too late. Still, it's probably the 2nd or 3rd best fight for PBF.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cotto beat Mosley with his jab, he did a great job with it. I think if Cotto can handle Judah's hand speed then he can do ok vs Floyd.

It should be a good fight, Cotto isn't in bad fights.
    Thing is Cotto never really handled Judah's speed. Cotto punished and broke down Judah cuz is Judah. After 4 rounds he'll stop doing what's working for him. But whenever he decided to actually let his hands go he had success and would get the better of exchanges

Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post
    Sure Mayweather probably wins this by a wide points margin, but STYLES make fights. Miguel Cotto is a much more complete fighter than what Floyd has faced since De la Hoya. Mosley had power and handspeed, no defense. Zab had no discipline, Ortiz couldn't box, JMM had no power. Miguel Cotto can box, he has power, good timing, decent defense, a solid chin, a warrior's heart, and he can switch up from orthodox to southpaw.

To me, this is a very dangerous fight for Floyd. Cotto is sneaky with his power and sneaky with his speed. He doesn't look quick, but he can catch you coming in and put a hurting on you. Miguel also doesn't care where the hell he hits you he just wants to do damage...he stopped Gianaluca Branco with a left hook to the shoulder!!!

If Cotto prepares to go 12, uses the jab effectively AND remembers to attack the body.....well we might just have ourselves a fight fellas!!!!

I could of just humored you and told you what you wanted to hear. But not wanting to give you false hope about Cotto non-existence chance I decided to be completely honest with you.

That should be like a 5 step jump

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cotto beat Mosley with his jab, he did a great job with it. I think if Cotto can handle Judah's hand speed then he can do ok vs Floyd.

It should be a good fight, Cotto isn't in bad fights.
    Thing is Cotto never really handled Judah's speed. Cotto punished and broke down Judah cuz is Judah. After 4 rounds he'll stop doing what's working for him. But whenever he decided to actually let his hands go he had success and would get the better of exchanges

Quote Originally Posted by Diane View Post

I could of just humored you and told you what you wanted to hear. But not wanting to give you false hope about Cotto non-existence chance I decided to be completely honest with you.

That should be like a 5 step jump
    he can't do any worse than Marquez did, or than Margarito would

Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

If this fight actually happens on May 5th, I like Cotto's chances at 154, i'm really surprised Mayweather would agree to this fight, but I guess he's legally obligated, so it should happen.

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mars_ax View Post
    If this fight actually happens on May 5th, I like Cotto's chances at 154, i'm really surprised Mayweather would agree to this fight, but I guess he's legally obligated, so it should happen.
    I'd be surprised if it wasn't at a catch-weight.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by shza View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by imp View Post
    Cotto has to improve his stamina.
    I can see a martinez fight in november for floyd.
    Anyone think that floyd can ever be comfy at 154?
    I don't think 154 will ever be a "natural" weight for him. He seems like a sterotypical "hardgainer" -- very low bodyfat, and a struggle to bulk up. Even if he quit training, I don't think he'd suddenly blow up. Look at Roger and Floyd Sr.

Honestly, I think he could still be making 140 fairly easily if he really wanted to.

I'd definitely like to see him vs. Martinez at 154 next though. That's a much more competitive fight than Pacquiao -- probably the biggest challenge out there (besides the same fight at 160).
    Agree with shza.
    He Who Is Brave Is Free

Wisdom, compassion and courage are the three universally recognised moral qualities of men.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by imp View Post
    Cotto has to improve his stamina.
    I can see a martinez fight in november for floyd.
    Anyone think that floyd can ever be comfy at 154?
    Cotto HAS improved his stamina, he didn't seem to tire at all in his last 3 fights, he slowed down in the mid rounds only to come on strong again from the 9th till the final bell

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

My only worry is Miguel's onion skin it'll definitely tear otherwise I think Miguel can take Floyd's best shots. I just hope and pray the Cotto left hook to the body resurfaces on this fight
    [SIGPIC]
    Hidden Content

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I like cotto, could be my favourite overseas fighter at the minute

if theres one fight i wish had never happened it would be cotto v pac, cotto was beaten up and its a real down point of his carear

the margarito loss was a bit different, i thought he put up a fantastic fight and every man can lose a fight like that, it didnt really take anything away from his record

with the catch weight and the peds rumours around the time of the pac fight im not sure cotto deserved the beating he got

Im glad theres no daft weight demands on the mayweather fight, hats off to floyd
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by MMASUX View Post
    Cotto will be the aggressor, and Mayweather will use that against him all night long. I think it will be Mayweather 8-4, maybe 9-3.
    This is what I think two. Except more towards 8-4 or 7-5 for mayweather. But I wouldnt be surprised if Cotto got the W. I mean he did beat Mosley while he was still good and I'm sure that Mosley would've give Floyd problems and whooped PAC had he fought the way he fought Cotto.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Give props to Floyd for taking the fight, but carnt help thinking this should of happened 5-6 years ago when Cotto when in his pomp. Not saying the result would be any different, but Cotto of back then would be a harder fight for Floyd than now.

In saying all that, Cotto could cause Floyd some problems, but Floyd being Floyd, he will use his superior boxing skills to win a good competitive fight 8-4 on the cards.
    Hidden Content SADDO'S FIGHT NIGHT RD4 CHAMPION, TAKING ON ALL COMERS ! Hidden Content

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Good fight. Quite surprising really. What with bradley getting his man.
    I wonder how arum thinks he has all the pieces laid out? No doubt he'll be eyeing up Bradley.

I think mayweather erik l have to be the aggressor because Cotto's only realistic chance of winning is to fight like he has done the past couple of fights... on the out side.The way i see it, May weather isn't quite as fluid as he used to be,i think his legs are going and he is becoming more accustomed to shutting guys down on the front foot.

He'll go looking for Cotto.

El Kabong Guest

In my opinion Cotto will have to switch up, be the aggressor one round, then allow Floyd to come to you. Floyd is so good at making adjustments mid fight that you have to beat him with a gameplan to use 3 or 4 different gameplans. You've got to be aggressive, but not leave yourself open for counters, you've got to use good defense but also you have to win rounds. Floyd will no doubt use his questionable tactics (much like other great fighters), the elbows and forearms, but Cotto is a hoss, he can give back some rough stuff as well.

Cotto should not ONLY focus on the body, but he should gun for Floyd's arms as well. Floyd uses his arms for defense and he's one of the best defensive fighters I've ever seen, but the manner in which he uses them he has to have quick reactions to counterpunch...if his arms got slowed down by power punches then theoretically he would be more vulnerable. The main thing is Cotto has to find a way to negate Floyd's speed....if he can do that with his power or with his timing he can pull off a HUGE upset!

Cotto has been burried by his critics before "He'll never be the same" after the Margarito fight, "He's done as a fighter" after the Pacquiao fight....well this is Cotto's chance to achieve the seemingly impossible...I for one know he'll put up a hell of a fight!

Thread Information