Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 31 too old to start learning to fight?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: 31 too old to start learning to fight?

Quote Originally Posted by bigragu
    Quote Originally Posted by X
    Quote Originally Posted by LawHoops
    im 31 and have always been a die hardboxing fan (and an apologist for the fighters i love---you guys probably know that already--but ill admit it)

anyway im not looking to be a competitive fighter or anything i just want to learn the art, get back into top shape, and learn how to fight basically---looking really to improve my overall self image and self confidence really

anyway just to give you some background on me--ive lost 36 pounds in the last eight weeks with diet and exercise --from 302 to 266--i was never fat at 302 i had a powerlifters physiique, benched about 380+ , and i always looked lighter than what i was............ at 302 people would tell me i looked 250 or so and now people tell me i look like im 220ish---

im a little over 6'3, former college basketball player, also played HS football, baseball, and a little volleyball actually so im pretty athletic and always have been---i always thought id make a good fighter but i never took that first step

now at 31 i realize i wont be young forever and id like to learn how to fight

what do u guys thnk?
    fatty !!

Unless you have a bodybuilders physique, sorry and all, but you are overweight. At 6'3" and 300 lbs you will need to lose some weight for when you are older and putting stress on ageing internal organs (many american foorballers, rugby players etc find this on retirement)

maybe doing the aerobic boxing type training would be really good for you, in replacing some of that slow-twitch muscle with fast-twitch?

Just trying to help

a**...apparently you have trouble reading and understanding what you have read...he states that he is now 266lbs at 6'3"...that is not fat by no means...apparently you have never lifted enough to put on serious muscle....if you had you would not have made such an asinine comment like that.....if he has any wind at all he could get into amateur boxing TODAY and beat over half of those fat super heavies....
    Hey Bigragu, calm down. I don't think I have trouble reading and understanding things on the whole. I am not being nasty to Lawhoops, or disrespecting him.

If he is a 31 year old lawyer with a young child, and he is 6'3" and 250+ then he is not an athlete any more. I am 36 and not an athlete any more either. I don't know if you are from the states, and I know you guys bulk up more over there than we do, but that weight puts strain on the heart, the lungs, everything. To be that big - and NOT fat, you would have to be a really finely tuned professional athlete (like a rugby player or american footballer) but I don't think Lawhoops is (nor am I!)

You are right to say that I have never lifted weights enough to put on serious muscle. That's all very good, but serious weighlifting muscle is high maintenance and turns to fat very quickly, doesn't it? I am not making asinine comments - good word by the way - but the type of muscle and conditioning that you get from lifting weights really does not help you at boxing. At all! My comment was that doing boxing training may help him to lose weight and change the dense wightlifting muscle with lighter fast-twitch muscle form aerobic training.

Come on, you know as well as I do that saying if he 'has any wind at all he could get into boxing today (at 33, 250lbs+, with no experience) and beat many super-heavies' is probably not true. To say this means that you either disrespect superheavies in general or you do not understand boxing. Just because you are big and heavy does not mean you are good! Come on, man!

Sorry to talk about you to someone else lawhoops. I was not being nasty to you, just passing on my opinion as an ex-amateur fighter...... but I still stand by what I say, you may disagree, but you posted to get people's thoughts, didn't you?
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Im sure there are quite a few guys here who are big enough to fight HWs at a low level and make couple hundred a fight. i like my face un-fu**ed though so i wouldnt do it. but at 31 or 71 , boxing for exersize is great fun.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

[/quote]a**...apparently you have trouble reading and understanding what you have read...he states that he is now 266lbs at 6'3"...that is not fat by no means...apparently you have never lifted enough to put on serious muscle....if you had you would not have made such an asinine comment like that.....if he has any wind at all he could get into amateur boxing TODAY and beat over half of those fat super heavies....
    [/quote]

Hey Bigragu, calm down. I don't think I have trouble reading and understanding things on the whole. I am not being nasty to Lawhoops, or disrespecting him.

If he is a 31 year old lawyer with a young child, and he is 6'3" and 250+ then he is not an athlete any more. I am 36 and not an athlete any more either. I don't know if you are from the states, and I know you guys bulk up more over there than we do, but that weight puts strain on the heart, the lungs, everything. To be that big - and NOT fat, you would have to be a really finely tuned professional athlete (like a rugby player or american footballer) but I don't think Lawhoops is (nor am I!)

You are right to say that I have never lifted weights enough to put on serious muscle. That's all very good, but serious weighlifting muscle is high maintenance and turns to fat very quickly, doesn't it? I am not making asinine comments - good word by the way - but the type of muscle and conditioning that you get from lifting weights really does not help you at boxing. At all! My comment was that doing boxing training may help him to lose weight and change the dense wightlifting muscle with lighter fast-twitch muscle form aerobic training.

Come on, you know as well as I do that saying if he 'has any wind at all he could get into boxing today (at 33, 250lbs+, with no experience) and beat many super-heavies' is probably not true. To say this means that you either disrespect superheavies in general or you do not understand boxing. Just because you are big and heavy does not mean you are good! Come on, man!

Sorry to talk about you to someone else lawhoops. I was not being nasty to you, just passing on my opinion as an ex-amateur fighter...... but I still stand by what I say, you may disagree, but you posted to get people's thoughts, didn't you?

[/quote]I was sying if he was in any kind of shape and athletic ability he could beat HALF of the AMATEUR FIGHTERS at SHW!!.......not the pro's...but if he is a quick learner in a year or 2 he could have a pro fight....might even become a good local boxer......
    It feels good to be back home.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

im 31 and have always been a die hardboxing fan (and an apologist for the fighters i love---you guys probably know that already--but ill admit it)

anyway im not looking to be a competitive fighter or anything i just want to learn the art, get back into top shape, and learn how to fight basically---looking really to improve my overall self image and self confidence really

anyway just to give you some background on me--ive lost 36 pounds in the last eight weeks with diet and exercise --from 302 to 266--i was never fat at 302 i had a powerlifters physiique, benched about 380+ , and i always looked lighter than what i was............ at 302 people would tell me i looked 250 or so and now people tell me i look like im 220ish---

im a little over 6'3, former college basketball player, also played HS football, baseball, and a little volleyball actually so im pretty athletic and always have been---i always thought id make a good fighter but i never took that first step

now at 31 i realize i wont be young forever and id like to learn how to fight

what do u guys thnk?
    Here's a to boost your confidence. Nothing wrong with learning to box at any age.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

get your self in 'ask the trainer' kawhoops...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Boxing with gloves on is alot different than a bare knuckle brawl, we all know that...

You might be able to lick someone with ease until you put the gloves on. Strap on the gear and you may suddenly become an oaf. On the other hand you could spend 6 months sparring and get your ass handed to you in the McDonald's parking lot.

Imagine that someone is attacking your child. How would you react? You need to train your mind to react that same way if someone should attack you. Learning to think clearly in stressful situations, learning to make eye-contact with those around you, these are the things that will make a difference day-to-day.

Oh yeah, always run serpentine...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

could i learn enough to whip the average guy on the street's a**?
    I think you could learn to "box" to keep you in shape. There are a ton of programs geared directly toward this that actually make excercising fun to do. My advice, if you just want to be as tone up- You already have the muscle. Just run. If you have the time, lift light weights with more reps versus heavy weights. That way you don't swell up like a toad!

Personally, I don't have the time for such a routine. I limit my workout to a few sets of push ups, sit ups, and whatever kind of cardio I can get from chasing my kids around or doing yard work (certainly not enough cardio).

If none of that matters and you just want to defend yourself. Buy a good handgun.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I can't believe some of the shyte I'm reading in this thread. Amazing how many diks there are in here.

I'm almost 33 and joined a gym two months ago. I was naturally athletic too... college baseball and "all-star" hockey all my life. When I got there I knew almost nothing about proper form and technique, even though I thought I did. Now I have a good, solid left hook (a tough one for the newb to throw) and even have pretty good footwork to boot. You don't have to always work witha trainer to learn. I've learned a lot just by watching the guys at my gym. Then I try to work on it on the bag and in the mirror...slowly at first...with good form comes good power.

If you want to have fun, get in shape and learn some self D, go for it. Never too old to do anything. And yes, in a six months you'll be so far ahead of the average idiot you'll crush them in a street fight. While they flail away with their eyes closed you'll easily dodge their punches and nail them with everything you throw. Short, crisp, clean punches right in the kisser.

Will you turn pro? Likely not, but who knows. Never say never. But, who cares? I never will but do I care? No. Just love the sport.

One thing I must say though... a guy of your size, you'd be ideally suited for judo. search judo on this site. With your strength you'd thrown someone half way across town and break their arm in a standing submission in 5 seconds tops.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I was looking on boxrec the other day a found a guy that was 40 and just turned pro not long ago. If I remeber right he had 8 bouts. So depending on what level you want to fight at anything is possible.
    You must be the change you want to see in the world. --Mahatma Gandhi

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

My man peep this here, forget what these young cats are taliking about.If you love the game, get in tremendous shape, learn the sport and spar, you still got some time to make some noise.You may not be world champion but at least you'll be happy you made a run at it.I'm 35, started boxing my last week of being 32, and most young people think in 25 26 years old tops!My man I got babes 18 years old wanting to holler at me.They have no idea looking at me physically that I'm 35.I can run with, lift with, outlast about about any young cat I see.I'm not braging but I'm letting you know you can do this and you ain't old till I'd say 45 46 range.It depends on the person.Look at Bernard Hopkins he's 41 and showing no signs of age.At the Light Heavyweight division he's Champion of the world, ain't no 18 year olds coming near this man.OK?So do your thing!Holla at me!

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wow - Trueplaya, do you really talk like that or are you taking the piss?

The last time I heard anyone talk like that was was either Cat in Red Dwarf, or it was on the Fat Albert cartoons way back in the 70's.

I always have a mental picture in my mind of what posters on here look like (they will all be wrong, but it's good fun) My mental image of you is a cross between Sammy Davis Jr and Huggy Bear (with a little bit of the black guy from Enter the Dragon, was it Jim someone?)

That's not meant to be an insult - keep posting and talking like you do - it's just like American 70's cop show baddies talk

If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Thread Information