Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: If Tony Beats Cotto...it doesn't mean Cotto can't beat Floyd....

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: If Tony Beats Cotto...it doesn't mean Cotto can't beat Floyd....

Quote Originally Posted by CutMeMick View Post
    Duran beat SRL, SRL beat Hearns now that didn't mean that when Duran fought Hearns that he was gonna win did it?
    This is a completely different situation though. Leonard, Duran and Hearns were all on a similar level. They were all elite all-time great fighters, and since they were all on a similar level, style matchups came into play.

That's my point here.... Mayweather, Cotto, and Margarito are not all on similar levels. Mayweather is an elite fighter. Margarito is a very good professional fighter, but not elite. Cotto is a very very good fighter who has shown many signs of being an elite fighter. If Cotto can't beat Margarito, who is a clear level or two below Mayweather, then there's no reason to believe Cotto can beat Mayweather.

Generally speaking, upsets occur for one of three reasons:
    1. The favorite comes in unprepared and/or out of shape
    2. The underdog has a style that is tailor-made to give the favorite problems
    3. The favorite isn't as good as we thought he was

#1 and #2 do not apply to Cotto-Margarito. Cotto is a pro who shows up focused and in-shape. This is a big PPV fight that's already being billed as a FOTY candidate. Cotto isn't going to show up unprepared or out of shape.
    Margarito does not have the type of style to give Cotto fits. Margarito shows very little movement and is right there to be hit all night long. Margarito is a high-contact fighter, and that should allow Cotto to show off his superior offensive arsenal all night long.

Which leaves only #3. If Cotto loses, it won't be because he's out-of-shape, it won't be because he's unprepared, it won't be because of a bad style matchup. If he loses, it will mean that he's closer to Margarito's "very good" level, and not close to Mayweather's "elite" level.

I completely understand your point that we often overreact to one loss on a fighter's record. That is absolutely true and I've been guilty of it before. I also completely agree with your statement that just because A beats B, and B beats C, that doesn't mean A automatically beats C. But in this particular case, I think the only type of fighter than can beat Mayweather right now is a Top 5 PFP star fighter, and if Cotto is really a Top 5 PFP star fighter (which I believe he is), then he has no excuse to lose to Margarito, who is very good, but not THAT good.

Mentioned
    51 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by SweetPea View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CutMeMick View Post
    Duran beat SRL, SRL beat Hearns now that didn't mean that when Duran fought Hearns that he was gonna win did it?
    This is a completely different situation though. Leonard, Duran and Hearns were all on a similar level. They were all elite all-time great fighters, and since they were all on a similar level, style matchups came into play.

That's my point here.... Mayweather, Cotto, and Margarito are not all on similar levels. Mayweather is an elite fighter. Margarito is a very good professional fighter, but not elite. Cotto is a very very good fighter who has shown many signs of being an elite fighter. If Cotto can't beat Margarito, who is a clear level or two below Mayweather, then there's no reason to believe Cotto can beat Mayweather.

Generally speaking, upsets occur for one of three reasons:
    1. The favorite comes in unprepared and/or out of shape
    2. The underdog has a style that is tailor-made to give the favorite problems
    3. The favorite isn't as good as we thought he was

#1 and #2 do not apply to Cotto-Margarito. Cotto is a pro who shows up focused and in-shape. This is a big PPV fight that's already being billed as a FOTY candidate. Cotto isn't going to show up unprepared or out of shape.
    Margarito does not have the type of style to give Cotto fits. Margarito shows very little movement and is right there to be hit all night long. Margarito is a high-contact fighter, and that should allow Cotto to show off his superior offensive arsenal all night long.

Which leaves only #3. If Cotto loses, it won't be because he's out-of-shape, it won't be because he's unprepared, it won't be because of a bad style matchup. If he loses, it will mean that he's closer to Margarito's "very good" level, and not close to Mayweather's "elite" level.

I completely understand your point that we often overreact to one loss on a fighter's record. That is absolutely true and I've been guilty of it before. I also completely agree with your statement that just because A beats B, and B beats C, that doesn't mean A automatically beats C. But in this particular case, I think the only type of fighter than can beat Mayweather right now is a Top 5 PFP star fighter, and if Cotto is really a Top 5 PFP star fighter (which I believe he is), then he has no excuse to lose to Margarito, who is very good, but not THAT good.
    Well we can be here ALL week and until the end of this year going back and forth supporting each others theory and in the end I don't think your wrong nore Am I. It's just a matter of POV, I for one think that beating one fighter does not mean you can beat the next just because the consensus says the fighter you beat is better then the next or visa versa.

Regardless of how 1 may see it, I think that loosing to 1 fighter does not mean you cant beat the best. Cause I can be here naming example after example and you'll just come up with reasons to how they differ.
    From records, to styles to names etc. etc. etc.

Sweet,
    I don't wanna get too much into #1 and your statements about Cotto but what if I told you that Cottos not really what he's been made out to be. I've tried to keep my mouth shut for a while but it seems like little by little it's all coming out. Reports of him at bars/clubs drinking and womanizing have surged in the past months. If you run some searches I'm sure you'll come across it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Floyd fans are silly. If they think Floyd can beat an opponent easily,they say he's not worth fighting(or act that way). What dumbass thinking.

And IF Tony beats Cotto,I guarantee he would do better than Hatto,Baldo etc v Floyd.A mARGARITO WOULD BE MORE INTERESTING THAN A REMATCH V hATTON WHO IS SHITE AT 147 OR A totally WEIGHT DRAINED oSCAR AT 147. Margarito would reck both of those guys tt 147.If it was as easy as some of you buthuggers said,Floyd wouldn't have turned down an $8mill payday for such an easy nights work would he?

Thread Information