Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cotto v Margarito: great fight but will it be a great event?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Cotto v Margarito: great fight but will it be a great event?

i honestly think Cotto will pick him apart....the skill divide here is HUGE IMO! Maybe even stop him late on but im pretty certain Cotto will win this.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cotto. And I think he'll look good overall. Said why too many times to type it all out again.

Not even sure why I'm posting here.

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Im going with Margarito. Provided he comes out firing, I think it will come down to one thing: Margarito WILL check that chin eventually.

I see a stoppage win for Tony.
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm sitting on the fence for who I think will win - I change my mind a lot - but I think it will be an outstanding event. I bet this one doesn't disappoint.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Between an evenly matched fight between closley contested fighters with championship will and skill... I've always sided with the man with better technical skill.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

There is a sad, but inescapable fact in boxing. No matter how great a fight is, in order for it to be considered a great “event”, more often than not it needs to include an English-speaking, U.S. boxer.

Now before anybody gets all indignant about this, think about it… it’s true. De La Hoya-Mayweather was a sh*tty fight, at least when compared to the mega-hype that preceded it. And yet, it was a major “event.” Cotto-Margarito, on the other hand, is shaping up to be twice as good a fight, but somehow, the question is whether it will be a great “event.” What gives?

Everyone knows the answer to that question. The big bucks are in the U.S. The big boxing venues, the major TV networks… all are in the U.S. Yes, boxing is huge in other countries. England, Mexico, Puerto Rico to name a few. But for any aspiring young boxer… where does he eventually have to go in order to achieve global fame and recognition? The U.S., that’s where.

Look at the Calzaghe issue. Up until now, most of the criticism aimed at him was that he would not fight outside of England. Hadn’t set foot in the United States. He finally got the message and crossed the pond to meet Hopkins.

As a hardcore boxing fan, that’s why I’m ecstatic about the rise of someone like Pavlik. He’s someone the stateside fans can embrace and rally behind, which in turn obviously does a lot for boxing. Don’t get me wrong, I would be a Pavlik fan anyway. The guy’s good, humble, exciting, and a hard puncher. My kind of fighter. But what makes him doubly great from a fan’s point of view is that he’s the kind of fighter that will be greater for boxing than most people realize to this point.

So will Cotto-Margarito be a great fight? You betcha. Will it be a great event? Well… put is this way. Even if the millions aren’t watching in the States, I’m sure millions of us in Puerto Rico and many millions more in Mexico will be glued to the TV sets for this one!

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli surfs 'Nawlins View Post
    One thing.........Margarito beats the hell out of Cotto and stops him late....Any takers ...? Year of the upsets you know,

Yes please. name your terms.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Youngblood View Post
    One thing.........Margarito beats the hell out of Cotto and stops him late....Any takers ...? Year of the upsets you know,

Let me try this again and hope the Thread does not time out ??No offense Youngblood but I was hoping A longterm member or at least someone old enough to drive a car would Take this .................JK bro.I mean,I can not even use the 'Cheers' smiley as I'm afraid I would be contributing to the delinquency of a minor Lol.Hey.........You got it,Bets on.A couple of diferent options here:

#1 2 week sig bet where you put a Signiture underneath all your post's...not to exceed 90 charecters and nothing slamming family or just plain nasty S!!!.

# 2 1 week name change .Something along the lines of "Youngblood bleeds as Margarito wills it" or something...... Or in the worst case scenario if Cotto boxes Tony's ears off and gets a late round stoppage ......Vice versa.

We'll throw in a Rep rider bet at 10-1 for you.Margarito is defeated, You get 1000,Cotto gets crumpled up you rep me 100.

BTW,belated welcome to the forum Youngblood,I Like your spirit.Hope ya stick around..................You pick 1 or 2 ?
    Last edited by Spicoli; 05-27-2008 at 02:38 AM.

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Let me try this again and hope the Thread does not time out ??No offense Youngblood but I was hoping A longterm member or at least someone old enough to drive a car would Take this .................JK bro.I mean,I can not even use the 'Cheers' smiley as I'm afraid I would be contributing to the delinquency of a minor Lol.Hey.........You got it,Bets on.A couple of diferent options here:

#1 2 week sig bet where you put a Signiture underneath all your post's...not to exceed 90 charecters and nothing slamming family or just plain nasty S!!!.

# 2 1 week name change .Something along the lines of "Youngblood bleeds as Margarito wills it" or something...... Or in the worst case scenario if Cotto boxes Tony's ears off and gets a late round stoppage ......Vice versa.

We'll throw in a Rep rider bet at 10-1 for you.Margarito is defeated, You get 1000,Cotto gets crumpled up you rep me 100.

BTW,belated welcome to the forum Youngblood,I Like you spirit.Hope ya stick around..................You pick 1 or 2 ?

Ha thanks for the belated welcome Mr. Spicoli, sir. :P

I think a one week name change would be awesome. Of course nothing profane, just ya know, humiliating . Plus we have to make sure there are so many posts made per day with whatever embarrassing name we can come up with for each other. Say like a min of 5 or so?

I really appreciate the odds you are giving me on the rep bet, but I also do not feel they are fair. I just think you are being nice about it.

So how about seeing you gotz lotza reps, we make it a say 2:1 instead. I win you hit me with 1000. You win I hit you with 500. Deal?

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

BTW,belated welcome to the forum Youngblood,I Like you spirit.Hope ya stick around..................You pick 1 or 2 ?

Ha thanks for the belated welcome Mr. Spicoli, sir. :P

I think a one week name change would be awesome. Of course nothing profane, just ya know, humiliating . Plus we have to make sure there are so many posts made per day with whatever embarrassing name we can come up with for each other. Say like a min of 5 or so?

I really appreciate the odds you are giving me on the rep bet, but I also do not feel they are fair. I just think you are being nice about it.

So how about seeing you gotz lotza reps, we make it a say 2:1 instead. I win you hit me with 1000. You win I hit you with 500. Deal?

Done deal.For the record I'm picking Margarito to beat Cotto.I week name change .Just don't dissapear....Great fight that insures excitement between two top notch Welters who demand respect.Don't worry about the 'minimum' post per day,I am around waaaay to much on here and sometimes think of the old saying....for some to want to see you,you must be missed first Lol.......

Mentioned
    19 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Done deal. Good Luck to you, and I fully expect my man Cotto to take it easy on your Margarito for about 3 or 4 rounds, until he begins to turn his liver into mush and starts rearranging other parts, say late in the 9th or 10th.

Very much looking forward to this fight, so this will make it even more fun. Thanks

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Done deal. Good Luck to you, and I fully expect my man Cotto to take it easy on your Margarito for about 3 or 4 rounds, until he begins to turn his liver into mush and starts rearranging other parts, say late in the 9th or 10th.

Very much looking forward to this fight, so this will make it even more fun. Thanks
    Just keep whispering that one........see ya ringside.Cheers

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Cotto by UD. Maybe late stoppage. I'm curious to see what the under card will be

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I will take a very large rep # bet that it goes to the score cards.
    In other words, I win if the fight lasts to its scheduled length. The other wins if the fight does not go the scheduled length. Regardless of winner.
    "If there's a better chin in the world than Pryor's, it has to be on Mount Rushmore." -Pat Putnam.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

And I know this is a bullshit bet, but I thought I would put it out there.
    "If there's a better chin in the world than Pryor's, it has to be on Mount Rushmore." -Pat Putnam.

Thread Information