Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: I'll say it yet again - Khan can beat Mayweather (includes Last nights fight in full)

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: I'll say it yet again - Khan can beat Mayweather (includes Last nights fight in f

Floyd doesn't fight great punchers? So, Khan is a great puncher? Khan's power is decent at best. Floyd has fought MUCH harder punchers than him.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: I'll say it yet again - Khan can beat Mayweather (includes Last nights fight in f

Quote Originally Posted by IamInuit View Post
    The fact that Maidana took Floyd 12 twice is really a testimony to how far Floyd has slipped and not one of Maidanas improvement. Maidana is the same fighter today that was waxed by both Khan and Alexander. I'm not sure what these improvements are that Maidana has made??
    Jeez I have no idea what fights you were watching, because Maidana has made incredible improvements. He utilized a very effective jab, he was actually countering Floyd Mayweather at some points, his punch selection was much better... the first Floyd fight was no accident, he fought an incredible, SMART fight.

To not see the difference between 2010 Chino and 2013 Chino is to stand outside and not see the difference between 12am and 12pm.
    David Lemieux = Future MW Champ and P4P King

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by IamInuit View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Julius Rain View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Silkeyjoe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Julius Rain View Post
    I don't know what you guys see but Maidana clearly improved 10x more than Khan.

Maidana took Floyd to 24 rounds. Enough said.
    Everyone Floyd fights goes 12 rounds with him whats special about that? He also lost every round in the rematch. He beat a blown up Broner who struggled with Emmanuel Taylor and Carlos Maidana who are nothing special. Devon won every round against Maidana and Khan won every round against Devon. So basically Maidana has improved because he lost to Floyd?
    Maidana rough up Floyd, forcing a rematch. Nobody does that. That is more than anything Khan has accomplished.
    The fact that Maidana took Floyd 12 twice is really a testimony to how far Floyd has slipped and not one of Maidanas improvement. Maidana is the same fighter today that was waxed by both Khan and Alexander. I'm not sure what these improvements are that Maidana has made?? I guess they are implied because he went tough with Floyd twice. Maidana is lucky Cortez retired.

You could physically see the improvements Khan has made and they were plenty from feet to punch selection but the biggest thing I noticed was just his overall smarts and how he controlled everything.
    He does seem to have a real aptitude for fighting southpaws as well. That was the Khan who has most likely been there all along. You have to give props to Hunter for bringing that out.

In addition he just didn't beat Alexander, he put on a clinic. Alexander has a great jab and it was rendered useless. Largely by Khans faster, better and stiffer jab and follow through combinations.
    Sure Alexander has been a giant under achiever even though Floyd himself has said he'd be the guy to take over but that was a superb win. Devon looked like he was on a lower level and that was because of Khan not cause Alexander is shitty. I had this as a pickum fight and in all honesty was in shock at how easy Amir handled him.
    I think you can give Maidana a little more credit. I think he has made some improvements...his jab in particular has improved under Garcia...much more effective and fluid. Add to that all his rough housing/dirty tactics. Floyd has slipped some for sure...but to simply say that was the ONLY reason he went 24 rounds with Marcos is a stretch.

As for Floyd vs. Khan:

Floyd is clearly not a KO puncher...but his punches keep fighters bigger than him honest. This is a boxer who has fought larger fighters and forced them to hesitate and think their way in. You don’t do that without considerable pop, no matter how much of a magical boxing wizard you are. Also, Khan still has a propensity to arm punch and ‘sell’ his flurries which i feel play into Floyd’s hands if he chooses to sit and counter – particularly with the right hand. Despite not scoring a legitimate stoppage for what seems like an age, i still feel Floyd possesses enough pop in his punches to hurt Khan who has always seemed vulnerable.

Khan looked good against a solid fighter (lets not get carried away and call Devon a great fighter), but he still can seem one dimensional:

1. Plant feet.
    2. Flashy combination (emphasise maximum speed over proper leverage)
    3. Monorail movement to the side.
    4. Repeat.
    Bonus: Too close! Hug!

I can also see Floyd stalking Khan dynamically in the pocket and giving him no space to breathe. Khan can’t fight on the inside and if pushed out of his comfort zone he panics. I guess some people think this is a ‘warrior instinct’ but I don’t really buy that. If somebody doesn’t stay on the end of his fast punches, he freaks out. You just get the sense that a mental lapse can always be around the corner with Khan.

All of this is not to say Khan wouldn't give Floyd a tough fight. Age waits for no athlete and Floyd is no spring chicken. BUT...just having fast hands and beating a guy like Alexander doesn't mean it would translate the same way against one of the most intelligent fighters of all time. When you fight Floyd you have to have the physical tools AND the mental ones. Floyd doesn't have to learn new tricks...the craft is second nature to him. With Khan you just feel like it's a work in progress.

If the Floyd fight doesn't happen...I personally would like to see Khan rematch Garcia and Maidana. Khan vs. Broner could also be a fun fight.
    Last edited by zhubin; 12-16-2014 at 01:55 AM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Also, I hear a lot about how Khan beats "boxers" but I don't think he's beaten a really great technical boxer yet. The guys Khan qualifies as "boxers" are guys like Malignaggi, Alexander, McKlosky and the like. Whats missing from those guys is counter punching ability, which Floyd has in spades. IamInuit, you also said Devon has a great jab...i disagree. It's a good one...but Floyd possesses a truly great jab. Incredibly versatile...whether to the head or body.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by pacfan View Post
    I will bet with anyone that Floyd Mayweather will duck Amir Khan. I'm pretty sure about that. Why? the answer is simple: it's because Floyd is afraid of great punchers. That's why he ducked Manny, plaster-fisted Margarito and prime Cotto when he was still knocking out his opponents.
    Khans not a big puncher though so your logic is just stupid.
    I said great puncher, not just big puncher, it's a combination speed, power and timing.

Quote Originally Posted by VG_Addict View Post
    Floyd doesn't fight great punchers? So, Khan is a great puncher? Khan's power is decent at best. Floyd has fought MUCH harder punchers than him.
    Alright then, who's gonna take up my challenge, who's in for the bet? Name your prize babes and I'm in. But before you do that let me just scare you a bit. I've hardly been wrong here. I predicted Mosley would school Margarito and almost everyone here laffed at me. I've also predicted that Marquez will beat Pac on their fourth. And when everyone dismissed Maidana including the so-called experts, I was confident he'll give Floyd some problem that I came here right before the fight and made a thread about it, and it was nothing about anyone slipping, it was just a matter of style. Now, who's brave enough to challenge me? I'll be waiting.

btw, just ignore my sarcasm, that's my way of saying 'hello'...
    Last edited by pacfan; 12-16-2014 at 02:24 AM.
    Once in awhile, get outside in fresh air, take a deep breath & with a deep sigh, let out all the things that's bottled up inside you & be free, & you'll get a glimpse of nirvana.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I will bet with anyone that Floyd Mayweather will duck Amir Khan. I'm pretty sure about that. Why? the answer is simple: it's because Floyd is afraid of great punchers. That's why he ducked Manny, plaster-fisted Margarito and prime Cotto when he was still knocking out his opponents.
    I said great puncher, not just big puncher, it's a combination speed, power and timing.

Alright then, who's gonna take up my challenge, who's in for the bet? Name your prize babes and I'm in. But before you do that let me just scare you a bit. I've hardly been wrong here. I predicted Mosley would school Margarito and almost everyone here laffed at me. I've also predicted that Marquez will beat Pac on their fourth. And when everyone dismissed Maidana including the so-called experts, I was confident he'll give Floyd some problem that I came here right before the fight and made a thread about it, and it was nothing about anyone slipping, it was just a matter of style. Now, who's brave enough to challenge me? I'll be waiting.

I've just read about a rumor that Haymon is starting negotiation with the Khan camp. But I'm still in for the bet. Any taker? I'm pretty hard-headed...
    Once in awhile, get outside in fresh air, take a deep breath & with a deep sigh, let out all the things that's bottled up inside you & be free, & you'll get a glimpse of nirvana.

Mentioned
    89 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I really think it's got to the point with Floyd where people are sick of him handpicking his opponents.....slow...plodding fighters he can easily pick off pretty easily = very boring fights.

The pressures on him now to take a live opponent so i'm pretty confident that will be Khan or Pac.

He bangs on about his legacy so much can he afford not to face one of those two?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Khan doesn't throw thoughtful, sneaky, well set-up combinations nor can he maul fighters and force punches to land through sheer grit and bombardment. He just keeps his hands up and throws his little muscle memory combos as fast as he can towards the other guy's head. He's been damaged by the amateurs and Floyd will take him to school. If Garcia could out time his speed then Floyd will make him look embarrassingly shit.

Mentioned
    1680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I say you could be right but only because Floyd has sold down a bit than because Khan is a great fighter. Right place and time.

I do think you are wrong. Floyd still beats Khan.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sheesh, not one of you loud-mouthed Floyd fanboys took my challenge. Well good for you coz Floyd just ducked Khan at the WBC annual convention. Told you guys I hardly go wrong.. And please, don't call anyone's post stupid if you don't know much about boxing. Cool babes.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Other than Pacquiao and Khan, who are these so called "fast" fighters Floyd avoided?

I'm looking at the Ring rankings from 2009-2013, and the only really fast fighters I see are Pacquiao, Khan, Malignaggi, Lara, and Martinez.

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Other than Pacquiao and Khan, who are these so called "fast" fighters Floyd avoided?

I'm looking at the Ring rankings from 2009-2013, and the only really fast fighters I see are Pacquiao, Khan, Malignaggi, Lara, and Martinez.
    Lara would be a very interesting fight although it makes no sense for Floyd, a risky fight against someone with very little selling power.

Martinez fight would have made sense. Mayweather fought at light middle for the first time in 2007 a time when Martinez was coming into his prime at the weight. Ive always felt Mayweather will only fight certain style guys at the higher weight though. Did he avoid Martinez or was the fight never really on the table?

Mentioned
    680 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Floyd ducked Paulie, he has always been scared to death of him. Paulies power and speed would have left Floyd in a rumpled blood soaked pile on the canvas, he would have required immediate medical interaction.

Thread Information