Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Official 'Jose Luis Castillo should be banned from boxing' thread..........

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Official 'Jose Luis Castillo should be banned from boxing' thread..........

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan
    And risk getting KO'd again? Five pounds might not seem like a lot, but at this weight it certainly is. Corrales went along with the sham the first time and got the short end of a surprisingly one-sided fight. Can't blame him for not wanting more of the same.
    Morally, maybe Corrales is taking the high ground, but tomorrow morning, he will not have a cheque for $1.2 Million in his back pocket. And a lot of boxing fans will be that much more pissed off with the sport, mainly because of Castillo('s teams) extremely unprofessional behaviour, but also because of Corrales' refusal to fight a catchweight contest to save the essence of the bill.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Official 'Jose Luis Castillo should be banned from boxing' thread..........

Quote Originally Posted by Memphis
    I think Corrales is held in high enough estime, he doesnt need to take another one for the team
    I think he does, we all know Corrales has had personal demons, and yet boxing has given him a second chance.

Castillo and his team are undoubtedly the bad guys here, but the casual fan will not see that way. Perhaps they figured they would give the sport one more chance, after hearing about the first two bouts; only to see the fight cancelled over 4lbs...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Britkid
    And risk getting KO'd again? Five pounds might not seem like a lot, but at this weight it certainly is. Corrales went along with the sham the first time and got the short end of a surprisingly one-sided fight. Can't blame him for not wanting more of the same.
    Morally, maybe Corrales is taking the high ground, but tomorrow morning, he will not have a cheque for $1.2 Million in his back pocket. And a lot of boxing fans will be that much more pissed off with the sport, mainly because of Castillo('s teams) extremely unprofessional behaviour, but also because of Corrales' refusal to fight a catchweight contest to save the essence of the bill.
    I cant blame Corrales for anything on this one. IF there had been a catchweight from the beginning then it would have been a different story. But Castillo signed to fight at 135, Corrales made the sacrifices to get there, Castillo couldnt or didnt. The 5 lbs is to much difference, the fight would have been like the last one.
    You must be the change you want to see in the world. --Mahatma Gandhi

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

There is a argument for saying as it is only 4lbs, perhaps Corrales should of gone ahead of with the fight, and been given a further financial reward as compensation.
    Where did that get Corrales second time around?

Castillo either intentionally tried to cheat, or made no effort at all NOT to cheat, if that makes sense, no doubt expecting Corrales to save the show and get walloped for his trouble.
    Maybe so, but Corrales would of been very well paid for it, and the vast majority of boxing fans and perhaps more importantly TV Execs would of known the real score. Thus win, lose or draw, in the fight; Corrales would of boosted his reputation...
    Na sorry i disagree...

If he lost then thats another blemish on his record.. last three fights would show a highly controversial stoppage followed by 2 losses.

I don't think Corrales can beat JLC above lightwight and i think Castillo and his team know it. Beating Coralles at lightwight has very little attraction to them imo; i think at that wight corrales has a good chance, at a wight above it it would be a short easy nights work for JLC, a early stoppage paving the way to a mega bucks deal with cotto/hatton or another big name at a bigger wight, corrales' belt was of very little interest to him imo.

Corrales got pi**ed about once before and got knocked out for his troubles, why on earth would he wont to risk that again when an agreemed, a contract was made?

Castillo should be suspended for a year and be made to compansate corrales' $1.2million either in one lump some or via % taken from his future fights!

Sad thing is the good honest people who paid for tickets, hotels, planes, took time of work maybe, paid for the PPV wont see shite of their money back, one reason i would never go to watch a boxing match live just for the one particular fight, nor would i pay for the PPV until the undercard was about to start!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Castillo should be made to compensate evryone who turned up for that card in some way. He promised a service yet failed to deliver. If you went to a concert and then got told that the main band wasn't going to be on you would expect your money back.

I do think Corrales could and possibly should have fought. He should have demanded a lot of Castillos purse and then stepped in the ring. If Castillo won then everybody would say that it was because he was overweight and Corrales would be looked down upon for it. if Corrales had won it would have been a career defining fight for him to beat a talented LW.

I understnad the point about Corrales record, but he hardly has an umblemished record anyway. People within the industry would have remembered why he got an L. For the casual fan then perhaps not, but to be honest here in the UK none of my mates who all say 'I love watching a bit of boxing' so casual fans have a scoobydoo who Corrales is or Castillo!

I do see though that perhaps it would be unsound from a medical point of view

Mentioned
    186 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Its ok saying Corrales should have gone ahead, if he loses we all know why. But given the way that Castillo steamrollered him in fight two (where Castillo also cheated) why would he want to subject himself to that again? and while we are at it, who are we to expect him to?

When God said to the both of us "Which one of you wants to be Sugar Ray?" I guess I didnt raise my hand fast enough

Charley Burley

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Britkid, I usually agree with you quite a bit, but there is no way in hell that Corrales should have taken this fight. He's done the hard work and gotten down to 135, badly weakening himself in the process. He took the fight last time and got knocked out viciously, why should he do that again?

You're acting like 5 pounds is not a lot but for a lightweight 4 pounds is a MASSIVE AMOUNT, evidenced by the fact that after being given 2 hours to lose some weight Castillo came back at 139.5

There is only one person to blame for this debacle and that is Castillo. Corrales should be compensated and Castillo should be heavily fined and suspended.
    "I take good care of my people. I like to inflict permanent psychological damage."

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

First and foremost, there was little excuse for Castillo to come in overweight for a "second" consecutive time. He will be responsible for compensation to Showtime, as per their contractual agreement, not only for no match but for missing weight. I believe also, the Nevada Boxing Commission stipulated that a fine of up to 125k fine could be imposed should Castillo not make weight. (Please correct me if I did not read this correctly.)

Corrales should have some legal recourse as contracts were agreed upon and signed. He and his "team" are out "hundreds of thousands" of dollars, (not to mention what could have been a purse of over a million), and it should only be fitting for Castillo to pay direct compensation for not fulfilling his contractual obligations.

I would hope that Castillo finds himself under suspension (6-12 months) and is denied any "big" matches for an additional 6 months...primarily with Hatton.
    Since presumably, or stated, neither boxer will be staying at Lightweight, perhaps JLC will not make the "third time a charm" with whomever he fights next.

Still, it was a another disgrace for the sport of boxing, but as always, this too shall pass.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I would of sooner seen the fight go ahead too BUT I dont see how Corrales "team" could of gone through with it without looking like the biggest muppets in boxing. Its a safety issue! If they'd known the shockingly distinct advantage Castillo was going to have last time they'd of scrapped that fight too. It was clear from the first round of the second fight that Castillo was MUCH stronger - his punches were having more of an affect and he was taking Corrales punches alot better. Knowing that, thankfully Corrales saftey took precedent over money.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Jose Luis Castillo shouldn't be banned forever, maybe just suspended for a year. He's just a little too big for a lightweight, and he shouldn't have agreed to fight at the 135 weight limit in the first place. Five pounds will cost him millions in fines and in court.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster
    I would of sooner seen the fight go ahead too BUT I dont see how Corrales "team" could of gone through with it without looking like the biggest muppets in boxing. Its a safety issue! If they'd known the shockingly distinct advantage Castillo was going to have last time they'd of scrapped that fight too. It was clear from the first round of the second fight that Castillo was MUCH stronger - his punches were having more of an affect and he was taking Corrales punches alot better. Knowing that, thankfully Corrales saftey took precedent over money.
    I think it had more to do with Corrales not being able to withstand punches as well anymore.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Its ok saying Corrales should have gone ahead, if he loses we all know why. But given the way that Castillo steamrollered him in fight two (where Castillo also cheated) why would he want to subject himself to that again? and while we are at it, who are we to expect him to?
    I would not expect him to, but I would like to of thought professional pride may of motivated him to step into the ring for a fight (figuratively) he could not lose.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Greig
    Britkid, I usually agree with you quite a bit, but there is no way in hell that Corrales should have taken this fight. He's done the hard work and gotten down to 135, badly weakening himself in the process. He took the fight last time and got knocked out viciously, why should he do that again?

You're acting like 5 pounds is not a lot but for a lightweight 4 pounds is a MASSIVE AMOUNT, evidenced by the fact that after being given 2 hours to lose some weight Castillo came back at 139.5

There is only one person to blame for this debacle and that is Castillo. Corrales should be compensated and Castillo should be heavily fined and suspended.
    Let me start by saying I 100% agree with you, that this mess was entirely down to Castillo and his team. But I do not think he should be suspended, if there is punishment in the contract Castillo signed for the fight, then that is enough, IMO.

But I disagree that 4/5lbs is a massive amount. Castillo would of struggled to make 139lbs, and with the 24 hour gap between the weigh in, there would of been no real advantage in that department for Castillo if the fight had gone ahead, IMO.

And although I would not of expected Corrales to of got in the ring after what happened, I would like to of thought professional pride may of motivated him to step into the ring for a fight (figuratively) he could not lose...

Thread Information