Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Eubank, Benn, Watson and the last golden era of British boxing.

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    1684 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Eubank, Benn, Watson and the last golden era of British boxing.

22,000 attended the rematch Watson v Eubanks 2 at White Heart Lane. Watson was an Arsenal fan and went into the away dressing room.

Watson injury may have been exacerbated by him landing on the rope causing a whiplash. He was not given oxygen, which helps the injured fighter for a long period. Watson had 2 operations within 24 hours to stop the blood clot. Rod Douglas had the same injury but got the oxygen immediately and lives a normal life but unable to box ever again.

Benn visited Watson regularly and supported him when his house was burgled. Benn did not want the publicity but Watson’s mum insisted people knew.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    1684 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ross View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr140 View Post
    Did Eubank fight different after something happened to wastson i am not sure what it was i really only know about Calzghe at smw well. Was there something that happened that eneded up changing the way that guy fought like he was tad more passive or something.
    As Ross said it did make a difference and most of his fights went to points after that and he did not want to finish off his opponent. I read in his book that it did affect him and some woman shouted at him that it should have been him in that coma.
    There is also a lesser known incident that his range rovers handbrake failed when he parked it and it rolled in to a road worker and killed them. Hes had some bad luck has Eubank and doesnt deserve alot of the crap he gets. Alot of it is jealousy. British people cant help themselves but berate anyone who believes in themselves and has the bollocks to dare to put their money where their mouth is and then go and win!
    Eubank lost control of his range rover as it ran into a building site and killed a labourer.

Someone sprayed murderer on his house.

Mentioned
    1684 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Did Eubank fight different after something happened to wastson i am not sure what it was i really only know about Calzghe at smw well. Was there something that happened that eneded up changing the way that guy fought like he was tad more passive or something.
    I had forgotten that Eubank had knocked down Malinga but did not stop him he also knocked down Ray Close and hurt Collins but could not finish them

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A lot of people say the reason that he lost at cw was that he was afraid to pull the trigger and end it. I have not seen the fights but he might of had Thompson out of there if he went for the kill is what i hear a lot of when that fight is talked about going to have to watch it later.

Mentioned
    208 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

A lot of people say the reason that he lost at cw was that he was afraid to pull the trigger and end it. I have not seen the fights but he might of had Thompson out of there if he went for the kill is what i hear a lot of when that fight is talked about going to have to watch it later.
    The first round of the first Eubank v Thompson fight Eubank looks like he might struggle with the strength of Thompson but the next few rounds hes so sharp! He drops Thompson a couple of times and one of them yes he does back off and then Thompsons strength starts telling later on until Eubanks eye swells completely shut and Eubank loses a close fight on points. They rematched just 3 months later but it wasnt long enough for that eye as it closed again and ahead on points Eubank is stopped for the first time when the doctor pulls him out.

Mentioned
    1684 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Benn got Tibbs as his new trainer and one of their agreements was that Nigel never sparred more than 9 rounds at a time. Tibbs said Benn was the most dedicated trainer he had even if Benn was up all night he would always turned up for the morning runs.

When Benn won the WBC super middleweight title in Italy he dedicated it to his deceased brother Andy and also Michael Watson. I had forgotten how close Benn and Watson had become after their fight.

Barry Hearn claimed he won the title for Benn that day because he threatened Cortez that he would phone Jose Sulliman who would sack the lot of them if they did not acknowledge that Benn landed a punch that cut the champion which would have meant Nigel won the title and not a no contest which the Italians were trying to claim.

Thread Information