Thread: AJ is a disgrace to the sport!

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: AJ is a disgrace to the sport!

Quote Originally Posted by NoSavingByTheBell View Post
    Chisora said "AJ died in there man. AJ left it all in the ring."

Oh how far we've sunk from:

Not bad for a non title fight between 2 guys whose best days were behind them . Frazier’s punch resistance gone after being put on the canvas 6 times in 2 rounds by big George. Ali fresh from having his jaw smashed up by Ken Norton.
    2 wonderful fighters indelibly inked in the history of the sport , but perspective tends to go out the window when those rose tinted spectacles go on.
    Might as well have cited Ward v Gatti.
    Ok, in the scheme of things at ATG level and comparing World Champions, AJ is clearly not up there. But Chisora’s point is that Joshua gave EVERYTHING! And he’s not wrong.
    Yes he acted like a twat after, yes he lacks skill. Yes he didn’t have any answers. But he started Boxing at 18 and became a World champion and at the time deservedly so.
    He should be immensely proud of that when the dust settles and deserves respect on that basis.
    Or he can get criticised by over 50s whose main sporting achievement consists of running a couple of miles and selling rancid peaches on the Mexican border before sprinting from the feds.
    Last edited by Primo Carnera; 08-24-2022 at 08:57 AM.
    Former Undisputed 4 belt Prediction champion. Still P4P and People’s Champion.

Mentioned
    1679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

AJ is supposed to leave everything he has in the fight. He has been training for 11 months and did do better.

I am glad AJ is upset because it will make him more determined to try and improve. He can make more money and rebuild himself. He is far from finished.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

So what's his goal going forward.

Another crack at usyk
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mark TKO View Post

Another crack at usyk
    Pretty pointless I would say. I only want to see him fight Wilder if I’m honest. I wouldn’t mind seeing him fight Fury, but if Fury fights again, HE HAS TO FIGHT USYK.
    No point fighting the likes of Dillian Whyte or anyone else.
    He doesn’t need to rebuild like some have said, because he isn’t going to meet someone that poses the problems Usyk does.
    He didn’t take a bad KO or anything, he just got beaten by the better man and more importantly, it’s likely that Usyk would do that to any HW Out there.
    Last edited by Primo Carnera; 08-24-2022 at 04:12 PM.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post

Another crack at usyk
    Pretty pointless I would say. I only want to see him fight Wilder if I’m honest. I wouldn’t mind seeing him fight Fury, but if Fury fights again, HE HAS TO FIGHT USYK.
    He doesn’t need to rebuild like some have said, because he isn’t going to meet someone that poses the problems Usyk does.
    He didn’t take a bad KO or anything, he just got beaten by the better man and more importantly, it’s likely that Usyk would do that to any HW Out there.
    Great points. The one area I would (respectfully) disagree/differ is that I think it is important for AJ to get a couple of easy wins to get his confidence back. These shouldn't be once a year fights, they should be over the span of six months or so to keep him in the ring and active. I have always thought the Wilder fight was the most fascinating due to styles and mental make up of both fighters. Both late to the sport of boxing yet able to overcome that deficit through hard work, determination, grit, and athletic gifts. Each flawed in their own, unique way- Wilder a little too right hand crazy/one dimensional while Joshua has a pretty good arsenal of punches (not on Usyk level but who is?) but stamina issues. Joshua is a beast of a man who can muscle Deontay and will likely win the early rounds, with Deontay having the mindset, will, and punch to end things in the last round if necessary. I love this fight- it will be more aesthetically pleasing than Wilder-Fury and/or Usyk-AJ.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Nahh he's finished.

Mentioned
    1679 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

AJ has just signed a multi million pound contract with Dazn so he is far from finished. I think he should rest and take a small break as he has been to training 11 months for this fight. Then take on some arena fights and build up into stadium fights again.

AJ does bring boxing to the mainstream and is a high profile star that brings money into the game.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by mikeeod View Post

Another crack at usyk
    Great points. The one area I would (respectfully) disagree/differ is that I think it is important for AJ to get a couple of easy wins to get his confidence back. These shouldn't be once a year fights, they should be over the span of six months or so to keep him in the ring and active. I have always thought the Wilder fight was the most fascinating due to styles and mental make up of both fighters. Both late to the sport of boxing yet able to overcome that deficit through hard work, determination, grit, and athletic gifts. Each flawed in their own, unique way- Wilder a little too right hand crazy/one dimensional while Joshua has a pretty good arsenal of punches (not on Usyk level but who is?) but stamina issues. Joshua is a beast of a man who can muscle Deontay and will likely win the early rounds, with Deontay having the mindset, will, and punch to end things in the last round if necessary. I love this fight- it will be more aesthetically pleasing than Wilder-Fury and/or Usyk-AJ.
    Respect what you say about getting his confidence back, but I just think for a couple of reasons , there’s no need.
    1. When the dust settles I think he’ll realise that he can be rightfully confident against anyone other than Usyk.
    2. When you get to his level, if your opposition is lower , your purse is lower. And would he motivate himself for a considerably lower purse, possibly as little as 10% of his previous fight purse.
    Would anybody motivate themselves for that ?
    But you could be right and I could be wrong.
    Btw, great assessment of a potential AJ / Wilder. 👍

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Chisora said "AJ died in there man. AJ left it all in the ring."

Oh how far we've sunk from:

Not bad for a non title fight between 2 guys whose best days were behind them . Frazier’s punch resistance gone after being put on the canvas 6 times in 2 rounds by big George. Ali fresh from having his jaw smashed up by Ken Norton.
    2 wonderful fighters indelibly inked in the history of the sport , but perspective tends to go out the window when those rose tinted spectacles go on.
    Might as well have cited Ward v Gatti.
    Ok, in the scheme of things at ATG level and comparing World Champions, AJ is clearly not up there. But Chisora’s point is that Joshua gave EVERYTHING! And he’s not wrong.
    Yes he acted like a twat after, yes he lacks skill. Yes he didn’t have any answers. But he started Boxing at 18 and became a World champion and at the time deservedly so.
    He should be immensely proud of that when the dust settles and deserves respect on that basis.
    Or he can get criticised by over 50s whose main sporting achievement consists of running a couple of miles and selling rancid peaches on the Mexican border before sprinting from the feds.
    meh, 55/100 tops. LOL

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You know things are going Pete Tong when the voice of reason in Joshua’s corner when it started kicking off was ……. Derek Chisora
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    AJ has just signed a multi million pound contract with Dazn so he is far from finished. I think he should rest and take a small break as he has been to training 11 months for this fight. Then take on some arena fights and build up into stadium fights again.

AJ does bring boxing to the mainstream and is a high profile star that brings money into the game.
    No, anybody with such a shitty character like AJ is finished. His mask slipped for sure. The ugliness he has inside will stop him from advancing any more in his career. Success comes from within, not from multi million pound contracts. He is toast.

Mentioned
    429 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That's the rebuild he needs. Self-awareness and mental make up..it's essential to keep on point at the highest level. He can go crush a couple of cans but at his stage it may be superficial as far as suring up actual confidence. I think more importantly he needs to hash out whatever was festering in him and that speaks to the 101 yes men filling his ears with false confidence and praise, to his camp and letting himself isolate with AJ the man for just a little bit. This sport is so much more mentality and focus and those remain issues for AJ, now apparently more than ever.

on a side note, just realized he kept his mouthpiece in thru the entire debacle post fight . That's semi amazing

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post

That's the rebuild he needs. Self-awareness and mental make up..it's essential to keep on point at the highest level. He can go crush a couple of cans but at his stage it may be superficial as far as suring up actual confidence. I think more importantly he needs to hash out whatever was festering in him and that speaks to the 101 yes men filling his ears with false confidence and praise, to his camp and letting himself isolate with AJ the man for just a little bit. This sport is so much more mentality and focus and those remain issues for AJ, now apparently more than ever.
    Psychiatrically, this is so true. Emotional problems sometimes run much deeper than mere Yes Men issues. In those cases, it is almost impossible to get on track, but I guess Fury with his problems managed to get back on track so maybe AJ can do it too.

Mentioned
    429 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Psychiatrically, this is so true. Emotional problems sometimes run much deeper than mere Yes Men issues. In those cases, it is almost impossible to get on track, but I guess Fury with his problems managed to get back on track so maybe AJ can do it too.
    No keyboard whitecoat here but it's clear there's a ton of luggage to unpack. And if you're frankly gearing up for one more career run in your 30's...get it all out and in the clear. Make himself whole and in tip top form with the mind set. Then go work on your pecs and bending the knees. May all be moot though as ol Eddie is going remind him of his signature every morning. Fighters still have a future after the leather stops flying and the yes men fade away.

Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No keyboard whitecoat here but it's clear there's a ton of luggage to unpack. And if you're frankly gearing up for one more career run in your 30's...get it all out and in the clear. Make himself whole and in tip top form with the mind set. Then go work on your pecs and bending the knees. May all be moot though as ol Eddie is going remind him of his signature every morning. Fighters still have a future after the leather stops flying and the yes men fade away.
    100% agree, it is a TON of luggage. Yes, why does he not bend his knees FFS? He fights like a robot FFS. GET RID OF the Yes Men, totally, get your shit together, going on 33 years old and need to string together some impressive wins, don't even need to be knockouts, just win big a few times now, try to get back the confidence. Then a title shot. Even before that, rest and meditate a while, see what is wrong. See if you have that fire necessary. Killer instinct. Agreed he has one more career run. Throw combinations like Marciano FFS, to use AJ's own words.

Thread Information