86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Berto's corner was nonexistent

Quote Originally Posted by Boxer4life View Post
    i love roger mayweather...."kick his ass, box him, kick his ass."
    Floyd. The only fighter on the planet that could fight w/o a trainer. Got any quotes from Castillo/Floyd 1?

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by IamInuit View Post
    Floyd. The only fighter on the planet that could fight w/o a trainer. Got any quotes from Castillo/Floyd 1?
    I totally disagree.

As completely ironic as it sounds, Floyd has already been quoted as being grateful for the cohesive boxing insight that he and his uncle & father share.

I can't remember what fight it was (might of been the Mosley fight?) but Mayweather had again said something like ''I could hear My Uncle giving me advice, I turned to my Father and he was giving me the exact same advice. I have a great team.''
    Hidden Content
    Original & Best: The Sugar Man

El Kabong Guest

I think Roy Jones Jr on his day didn't needa trainer, but I think there comes points in time where any fighter would need help.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TitoFan View Post
    I have never seen a corner that disengaged, delirious and nonfunctional at this level in 40 years of following the sport. I'm sure their are others if I thought about it but Berto should shit can the entire lot imo.

Agreed, although Felix Trinidad's corner (particularly his dad) during his fight with Winky Wright fight should merit an "Honorable Mention", at least. Papa Trinidad seemed clueless, and offered no alternate plans for Tito to follow.
    Yup no plan B. Shame as Tito was a good boxer earlier in his career which he rarely gets credit for. The moment his bone crushing power was discovered they abandoned boxing and began the plodding. I was a huge Tito fan, hell still am. Never liked the father son teams. Jack Mosley is another father who had no business in a corner.

Uncle-nephew combos sometimes don't do so well, either. Cotto had his uncle in there for awhile, until they had a falling out. Then Cotto inexplicably hired Joe Santiago (?!?!?) as his trainer, until he came to his senses (and lost to Pac), and hired Emanuel Stewart. Best thing he could've done.
    Judah: Zab and Yoel... Look what his dumb-ass father and PBFs uncle did for them 4-5 years ago. Perfect example of how family can hold you back. If he had two guys who gave a shit about their fighters and not just family machismo, they would have let their fighters settle up in the ring.. Not fight as trainers in the ring! Nobody is paying to see that.

You know.. if any time Zabs corner should have erupted is when he fought Cotto. Cotto fought one of the dirtiest fights I had ever whitnessed against Zab.

Berto's brother is s F***ing moron. He would just repeat whatever the trainer said, but with a different emphasis. He clearly knows nothing about boxing.

Berto needs to go back and figure out who his core people are when fight night comes around. All things considered I don't think he could win that fight sitting on the ropes like he was anyway. But maybe if he had a real cornerman he would get told not to do that.
    "Floyd needs to inject Xylocaine into his balls to gain the courage to fight Pacquiao."

- and I quote from some random guy on the internet

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Jimanuel Boogustus View Post
    I totally disagree.

As completely ironic as it sounds, Floyd has already been quoted as being grateful for the cohesive boxing insight that he and his uncle & father share.

I can't remember what fight it was (might of been the Mosley fight?) but Mayweather had again said something like ''I could hear My Uncle giving me advice, I turned to my Father and he was giving me the exact same advice. I have a great team.''
    I was partly joking and partly serious. If their is a fighter today that could get by w/o a trainer its Floyd. In a Barry Sanders never needed an offensive line coach, Jordan never needed someone to bounce the ball for him and Gretzky never needed Sather to show him how to handle a puck kinda way.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

.... rodger and floyd do what most fighters should. Most of the work is already done before the ringwalk. Floyd does need rodger....just not to coach him on things he's already taken care of in camp. On the flip side most fighters are in there without a trainer for what it's worth. I've heard guys like berto's trainer this past sat, b mcgirt, even judah's dad and teddy altlas give great advice in the corner that mid-as-well have gone right into a brick wall for as much as they listen. nacho is the same a rodger. Listen to him coach marquez against floyd. First he let's him drink pee pee then in the ring with all the advice dude could have used he tells him "Be lively, move, he's hitting you too much plus other worthless garbage yet he's supposidly this great trainer. Same with nazim against floyd, he gave great advice and shane went out and did the same crap he did the round before. Bottom line don't let your hate of floyd cloud you judgement, rodger is no worse or better than the rest of them depending on how you look at it. It's the fighters who take or leave the advice, by the time they roll in the ring the cut and water guy are probably more important the night of. But i've never boxed so maybe i don't know anything.
    Hidden Content Click clack ! Give up the purse.........or yetti will find you.

El Kabong Guest

Just watched the fight....brilliant fight. I hope Ortiz keeps this winning attitude, he was a warrior in there. Berto seemed flat from the get go, like he was just going to walk through Ortiz.

As for Berto's corner...the trainer told Andre nothing, Andre's brother was awful...he wouldn't shut up and he gave bad advice "just pump the jab"...vs a southpaw?!?!? HELLOOO!!! Meanwhile Ortiz's corner was on the mark "I told you we don't want to throw that 1 punch by itself...follow up" great advice and bar some defensive lapses Ortiz fought a perfect fight.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Not a peep on direction. Boxing 101. Next time just pay the janitor 100 bucks to pose as a trainer.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by El Kabong View Post
    Just watched the fight....brilliant fight. I hope Ortiz keeps this winning attitude, he was a warrior in there. Berto seemed flat from the get go, like he was just going to walk through Ortiz.

As for Berto's corner...the trainer told Andre nothing, Andre's brother was awful...he wouldn't shut up and he gave bad advice "just pump the jab"...vs a southpaw?!?!? HELLOOO!!! Meanwhile Ortiz's corner was on the mark "I told you we don't want to throw that 1 punch by itself...follow up" great advice and bar some defensive lapses Ortiz fought a perfect fight.
    It was fight of the year. Agree ?
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk View Post

EASILY! Great great match, I think a rematch would be as good maybe even better! Both Ortiz and Berto landed with great power and frequency and I was AMAZED that Ortiz got up from that knockdown in the 6th. That is exactly what people want to see out of the heavyweights!

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk View Post

EASILY! Great great match, I think a rematch would be as good maybe even better! Both Ortiz and Berto landed with great power and frequency and I was AMAZED that Ortiz got up from that knockdown in the 6th. That is exactly what people want to see out of the heavyweights!
    Glad we agree on something.

A lot of posters on here do not agree it was fight of the year since the fight kind stagnated after the 6th. But I fell that it was a truely exciting and compelling fight to watch LIVE and easily fight of the year.

Yes and David Haye is gonna give it to them !
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Thread Information