Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 7 of 24 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: + The Dream Match + Let's talk!! (Pics. & Vids)

Share/Bookmark
    XaduBoxer Guest

Default Re: + The Dream Match + Let's talk!! (Pics. & Vids)

Quote Originally Posted by zhubin View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SaddoBoxer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kingfrnk View Post
    man i cant help but to pick Oscar. just look at the size difference damn!!!!! i just cant see pacman winning, he will feel that power that oscar has i wonder if he can take it.
    This is not the first time Hoya fought a 5' 6 1/2" guy... Whitaker is 5' 6" southpaw, shorter than PAC... Camacho is the same height with PAC... And a prime Hoya has some problems disposing these 2 old short southpaw guys...

Of course PAC is no Camacho or Whitaker... but who knows if prime PAC explosive style will also give problems to the old and partially shot Hoya...
    Whitaker could have fought till he was 50+ years old and he would still make a lot of fighters look bad. Pernell was a tremendous defensive fighter and a slick counter puncher...even in old age and with a bad drug habit. Oscar always has had problems with slick, counter punching fighters. He, however, has feasted on come forward, offensive fighters. Pac is a great athlete and has tremendous heart. But if Oscar comes into this fight in shape and sharp...the size and skill difference will eventually show itself. If Pac pulls the upset...mad props to him.

Yep PAC is no Whitaker... PAC also feasted on come forward, offensive fighters... So it might boil down to who can land first and who's fast in pulling the trigger...

XaduBoxer Guest

Default Re: PAC has a chance to win ...

LAS VEGAS — People know about Manny Pacquiao now.

link --> Pacquiao made world take notice in '03 fight

They know he’s considered the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world. That he’s trying to defy the odds and beat Oscar De La Hoya here on Saturday in the “Dream Match.”

They even know how to pronounce his name.

PACK-ee-ow.

But five years ago, the man they call Pac-Man was a virtual unknown — until he came to San Antonio as a decided underdog against the great Mexican fighter, Marco Antonio Barrera.

The bout took place Nov. 15, 2003 at the Alamodome, and it launched the Filipino sensation’s career.

“I remember the odds were 4-1,” Pacquiao said with a smile Wednesday. “Nobody expected me to win that fight.”
    Nobody who was there that night — or watched the fight on HBO — will ever forget it.

Pacquiao stunned the boxing world and the 10,127 fans in attendance with a convincing 11th-round technical 8knockout.

He dominated the fighter everyone considered the best featherweight in the sport with power, fast hands and a relentless style that would become his trademark.

He entered the ring to the boos of the pro-Barrera crowd and wearing a Tim Duncan jersey. He left the ring with a smile on his face and the title of boxing’s newest star.

In an odd twist, sitting ringside that night was Pacquiao’s opponent Saturday at the MGM Grand Garden Arena. De La Hoya’s company, Golden Boy Promotions, was in its first fight as Barrera’s promoter at the time.
    “I never dreamed then that I’d be fighting Manny Pacquiao,” De La Hoya recalls. “That’s why they call this the ‘Dream Match.’”

Richard Schaefer never dreamed it, either.

Golden Boy’s CEO sat next to his business partner that night. Neither he nor De La Hoya was prepared for what they were witnessing.

“It was a shock,” Schaefer recalls. “We couldn’t believe our eyes.

“I really wasn’t worried about the fight going in. Everyone was telling me it was going to be a walk in the park for Barrera. It was anything but.”

Schaefer and De La Hoya had seen Pacquiao before in person. In June 2001, he appeared on the undercard the night De La Hoya earned a 12-round unanimous decision over Javier Castillejo at the MGM Grand.

Schaefer recalls how impressive Pacquiao was in beating Lehlohonolo Ledwaba of South Africa for the IBF super bantamweight title.

“I remember thinking, this guy’s like the Energizer bunny but with triple batteries,” Schaefer said.

Pacquiao weighed 121 pounds for the Ledwaba fight, the same night De La Hoya fought Castillejo at 154.

For the Barrera bout, Pacquiao weighed 125 pounds.

Photos at a news conference two months before to announce the fight in San Antonio show the 5-feet-10 1/2 inch De La Hoya towering over the 5-6 1/2 Pacquiao, whose blue-jean pants appeared ready to fall from his tiny waist.

Weight wasn’t an issue then. But it’s been the center of attention for Saturday’s bout. Both fighters have to make the 147-pound limit by Friday’s weigh-in.

Many experts believe Pacquiao is too small to stand up to the power of the naturally bigger fighter in De La Hoya.

In his career, which began at 106 pounds, Pacquiao (47-3-2, 35 KOs) has moved up in weight almost every year. This will be his third fight of 2008, with each one coming at a higher weight.

In March, he beat Juan Manuel Marquez at 130 pounds. In June, he beat David Diaz in his only fight at 135 and is the reigning lightweight champion.

“I really don’t think weight will make any difference for this fight,” said Pacquiao, an idol in his native Philippines. “Physically, I feel the same. My speed is there, and I have power.”

De La Hoya (39-5, 30 KOs) said to forget all the talk about this fight being a physical mismatch.

“Manny Pacquiao can handle the weight,” he said, “because of his power, his speed and youth.”

Pacquiao is 29 years old, and De La Hoya is 35.

De La Hoya’s camp knows better than to take Pacquiao lightly.

After all, Schaefer saw what happened to Barrera five years ago in San Antonio.

“I’m pretty worried about this fight, actually,” Schaefer says.

“Manny doesn’t just win. He hurts people.”

Last edited by XaduBoxer; 12-04-2008 at 07:48 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wait, I'm confused...

"Pac is faster, in his prime and the better fighter"... but Oscar proves nothing with a win?

That doesn't make sense. If Pac is a worthless how can he be the better boxer? How is it a major victory for the younger, in his prime, faster fighter to win and not a victory if Oscar wins under those same circumstances?

I'm very interested to see this fight. Both fighters have heart. I have seen Oscar fight with his heart and I have seen him fight as though he would rather be ANYwhere but in the ring.

Will be interesting I think

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

No matter what people would say about this fight, it remains very clear that this is a very exciting fight. As for me, I will watch this and become part of boxing's history.

XaduBoxer Guest

Did you guys remember who won this fight?

Of course PAC is no Chagaev but PAC has a chance...

Not against Valuev but against Hoya...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

have to make my first post to be an official saddoboxing forum member... well I have to take the black gear and hope for a miraculous pacman win... oscar is too good for him but I'm more of an underdog fan... can't wait!

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'd give Pac more chance against Valuev than Oscar. Fact.
    3-Time SADDO PREDICTION COMP CHAMPION.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ultraelectromagneticpunch View Post
    have to make my first post to be an official saddoboxing forum member... well I have to take the black gear and hope for a miraculous pacman win... oscar is too good for him but I'm more of an underdog fan... can't wait!
    Let me be the first to welcome you to this forum. This is the best place around to talk boxing. Are you filipino? Your name is from Voltes V isn't it?

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Wow!!!!!! Great pics.

“If you want loyalty, buy a dog.” Ricky Hatton

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Fenster View Post
    If Oscar catches Pac with a quarter of the left hands Marquez did in the third fight, it's goodnight vienna for the Pacster.
    If PAC catches Hoya with the same short left cross that caught JMM and Diaz (and most recently PAC sparring partner), I think Hoya can possibly kiss the canvass...
    I don't think so. That's the problem for Pac, his punches wont have the same impact on the much BIGGER man.

Pac hit Diaz with EVERYTHING including the kitchen sink but it still took 9 rounds to depose him.

He wont be able to outclass Oscar like that.
    Thats a good point . Diaz is probably the most awful boxer you could imagine but Pac had to hit him over and over and over again before he started to wear him down .

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Is it over yet

XaduBoxer Guest

Quote Originally Posted by GAME View Post

If PAC catches Hoya with the same short left cross that caught JMM and Diaz (and most recently PAC sparring partner), I think Hoya can possibly kiss the canvass...
    I don't think so. That's the problem for Pac, his punches wont have the same impact on the much BIGGER man.

Pac hit Diaz with EVERYTHING including the kitchen sink but it still took 9 rounds to depose him.

He wont be able to outclass Oscar like that.
    Thats a good point . Diaz is probably the most awful boxer you could imagine but Pac had to hit him over and over and over again before he started to wear him down .

I think you can't just attribute Diaz not going down sooner to alleged diminished power of PAC... It can also indicate how tough and durable Diaz is...

Diaz might be an awful boxer but he's very tough and durable...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He has a small chance.

And actually I want Pac to win. I want him to smash Oscar De La Whora. It would be an outstanding achievement.

Then we will see a real, mega matchup, Hatton v Pac.

My god the thought of that makes my blood boil with excitement

XaduBoxer Guest

A short quiz about the fight:

Hoya is in a Loss-Win-Loss-Win... cycle in the last 5 years... His last fight against Forbes is a Win, what will be the outcome of his next fight this Saturday against PAC based on this cycle?

Just for fun...

ICB Guest

Hoya has some problems fighting 5' 6" southpaws (Whitaker and Camacho). Though a prime Hoya won in those fights, he was not able to knockout those old 5' 6" southpaw guys...

Of course PAC is no Camacho or Whitaker... The similarities are in height and stance only...

Remember today Hoya is not considered a prime boxer anymore while the 5' 6 1/2" southpaw PAC is still in his prime...

Here's some video of Hoya-Whitaker and Hoya-Camacho fights. Enjoy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUo3zBkmToohttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lnzeSN0lzFIhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46duousdNns
    Hector Camacho had to fight defensively the entire night, to survive. And considering he has never been stopped in 85 fights. I can safely say he has an iron chin and theres no shame in not being able to stop Hector Camacho.

Also you actually need to watch the fight Saddoboxer, when did Hector Camacho ever give ODLH any problems ? he lost probably every single round and was knocked down, i didn't think Hector Camacho ever give ODLH any problems at all.

As for Pernell Whitaker come on Saddoboxer, Pernell Whitaker is one of the best defensive fighters of all time. And even though Pernell Whitaker is one of my favorites. Even he had to fight defensively for most of the fight, to make it close and competitive i personally had it a draw.

Manny Pacquiao is nothing like any of these fighters at all, he hits and gets hit. Manny Pacquiao is an improved fighter but he is still very hittable, and theres no way on earth Manny Pacquiao would fight anything like the fighters above, because personally he can't. He hasn't got there skill sets.

Thread Information