http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mMmZjI4x5f8

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Oscar's cousin, Diego De La Hoya

He's got talent. Good hand speed. And I like his left hook. But he still needs work. Gets to wild at times and needs to close up his defense. His last fight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gTOIH0fuKw

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

19 years old.
    Pro debut.

He carries his left too low, and brings it back low after jabbing.
    Head's too stationary a target.
    Right hand ain't straight, too much loop.

Needs to work on his defense. Dude's aggressive, I like aggressive fighters, but good aggressive fighters have good defense as they come in, but this young fella's coming in too wide open with his chin sticking out too much. Mouth hanging open too, that's asking for a broken jaw. Fights off-balance a bit, but that can happen with aggressive fighters. Needs to work on that footwork, get that balance under better control.

On the plus side, he commits to his punches, is not afraid of getting hit, has decent speed, decent reflexes, desire to fight, and is in shape. Mixes up his shots pretty good with combinations, works the body and head. Doesn't appear to be a huge puncher, but hits hard enough to get their respect. Better accuracy would produce some knockouts.
    Yep, all fighters start at the bottom of the ladder and slowly develop their abilities though.

Looks like a decent prospect.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Violent Demise View Post
    He's got talent. Good hand speed. And I like his left hook. But he still needs work. Gets to wild at times and needs to close up his defense. His last fight

Hmmmm, made my post based on the pro debut.

This last fight in your link, at 22 seconds into rd 1, Diego De La Hoya got shaken up and was holding on after eating 2 crisp jabs thrown by a journeyman with 6 wins(1 KO), 12 losses, 2 draws. Jabs making your legs do The Judah Shuffle, that's a bad sign.
    Some guys need a good crack in rd 1 to wake them up and get them goin' though!

Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by bradlee180 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Violent Demise View Post

Hmmmm, made my post based on the pro debut.

This last fight in your link, at 22 seconds into rd 1, Diego De La Hoya got shaken up and was holding on after eating 2 crisp jabs thrown by a journeyman with 6 wins(1 KO), 12 losses, 2 draws. Jabs making your legs do The Judah Shuffle, that's a bad sign.
    Some guys need a good crack in rd 1 to wake them up and get them goin' though!
    Yeah this kids used to hunting. Offense seems to come easy. The vet picked that up and suckered him in twice with a slight feint and jousted him. The second one might have been just him being impetuous trying not to show weakness and going right back at him. He's young. He seems to have his footwork down and throws punches in bunches. Hopefully he smooths out some rough corners and gets a little polishing before he comes across a slick counter puncher. I know it sounds like a blanket comment, but for now I would say avoid anyone that grew up fighting in the Cuban system...they schooled to prey on fighters like this pick them clean down to the bones. Wether he becomes a Marquez or a Bojado/vargas can depend on the kind of fine tuning he gets.
    They want your @$$ beat because upsets make news. News brings about excitement, excitement brings about ratings. The objective is to bring you up to the tower and tear your @$$ down. And if you don't believe that, you're crazy.

Roy Jones, Jr. "What I've Learned," Esquire 2003

Mentioned
    1676 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He looks OK but not the same superstar.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

His right hand is all but useless. He slaps and pokes with it. This is because his feet are too far apart. He can't turn his weight on his right hand and he doesn't even try to. When he throws combinations, this really gets in his way and he slaps with every thing he throws.
    Have any of you been to Oscar's gym?- The old Resurrection gym I think. I went once years ago and Oscar's brother Joel is a dick. Would not let me in. Fortunately, there was a place called Tacos Mexico across the street and, on Tuesday's, they had tacos for a quarter. And it was Tuesday.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Meh. Kid is quick and workmanlike tonight but looked a bit rinse/ repeat. He got some work in on a tough nut I'm sure his people thought he'd blow out. It's just too early, a 4th fight is one where its sometimes better to just be on the undercard and "make sausage " and build skill. We don't need to see every single second and its unrealistic to think its an indicator at such a early mark of what he'll eventually be.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
    His right hand is all but useless. He slaps and pokes with it. This is because his feet are too far apart. He can't turn his weight on his right hand and he doesn't even try to. When he throws combinations, this really gets in his way and he slaps with every thing he throws.
    Have any of you been to Oscar's gym?- The old Resurrection gym I think. I went once years ago and Oscar's brother Joel is a dick. Would not let me in. Fortunately, there was a place called Tacos Mexico across the street and, on Tuesday's, they had tacos for a quarter. And it was Tuesday.
    Lol You are THE MAN.

Thread Information