Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Ike Quartey vs Tito Trinidad 1997-99

Since we r doing "who wins?" threads, who do u think would've won this match up? Both were undefeated champs gunning for Oscar. Tito was a slow starter who was chinny early but would come on strong late and had one punch power that hadn't been seen at the weight since Tommy Hearns (Tito had a left hook where Tommy was a better boxer with a deadly right). Ike was a beast at 147 who looked like a middleweight, had a great jab n raw strength, could take a punch, but tended to fade late in tough fights. I think this would've been the fight everyone hoped both guys' fights vs Oscar would've been, but I think Ike's jab would've allowed him to get the close, disputed decision.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Ike Quartey vs Tito Trinidad 1997-99

Quote Originally Posted by mikeeod View Post
    Since we r doing "who wins?" threads, who do u think would've won this match up? Both were undefeated champs gunning for Oscar. Tito was a slow starter who was chinny early but would come on strong late and had one punch power that hadn't been seen at the weight since Tommy Hearns (Tito had a left hook where Tommy was a better boxer with a deadly right). Ike was a beast at 147 who looked like a middleweight, had a great jab n raw strength, could take a punch, but tended to fade late in tough fights. I think this would've been the fight everyone hoped both guys' fights vs Oscar would've been, but I think Ike's jab would've allowed him to get the close, disputed decision.
    Shame this didn't happen but Tito went to 154. It was always a fight I wanted back then but the calenders didn't jive. Tito's bad chin is a little stretched. He never had a bad chin but he would get caught out of position or off balance when he went down and I dont recall him being hurt anytime he hit the canvas. He would normally get up and then dust off the opponent. I agree with you, Ikes jab was something else and a real fight controller. I think it could be the difference in the fight but Ike could be dragged into a war he didn't need to fight.

Great hypothetical matchup that actually could have been made.

Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by IamInuit View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by mikeeod View Post
    Shame this didn't happen but Tito went to 154. It was always a fight I wanted back then but the calenders didn't jive. Tito's bad chin is a little stretched. He never had a bad chin but he would get caught out of position or off balance when he went down and I dont recall him being hurt anytime he hit the canvas. He would normally get up and then dust off the opponent. I agree with you, Ikes jab was something else and a real fight controller. I think it could be the difference in the fight but Ike could be dragged into a war he didn't need to fight.

Great hypothetical matchup that actually could have been made.
    I agree. Just to clarify, when I'm saying Tito was chinny, I just meant that guys would catch him n put him down earlyin some of his big fights. U r correct though, prior to Hop Tito would get up and punish the other guy for putting him down. Tito was very strong at 147 and took some good shots from punchers like Oscar, Yori Boy Campas, Fernando Vargas (154) and David Reid (154) without being stopped. Don't want to make it seem like I was saying Tito had a bad or even decent chin, as I think his fights proved he had a very good chin and great heart.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I really wish this fight happened only Oscar had the balls to fight all three Whitaker, Tito and Ike. These were elite fighters when they were champions.

Ike had the straight and power punches to cause Tito huge problems. Conversely Tito punches viciously hard to worry Quartey. Really hard to pick but if I had to choose it would be Tito who had the greater will to win.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quartey had a shell like defense similar to Winky Wright. Now his overall defense wasn't as good as Wright but he did have a better jab. Quartey beats him in a some what competitive fight

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I loved Ike Quartey.

He's from Accra Ghana which meant he'd never win in the big fights. Ever.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Tough. I always hated Bazookas gaps and inactivity between fights but off the top see him the sharper straight hitter. Both guys were not exactly easy to miss when they rushed the onslaught but Quartey has that twister jab. It was almost a brutal rifle barrel. I think one thing that is slept on a bit is Ikes handspeed also..the guy was straight fast like a whip with combos. Tito had the eraser of a left hook, confidence through the roof and the majority of the time when he was decked, he got up clean, quick and rarely badly hurt. Honestly the most trouble I think he was ever in was off Anthony Stephens right hand(s) where he was wobbled and rolled before end. I lean to Ike to get off the floor for late stoppage, tomorrow I'll change my mind

Mentioned
    177 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Trinidad wasn't a slow starter. He took his time and, if you pushed him, he could take his time real fast. Before Trinidad got left hook crazy he was a very very good fighter; moved real well, great jab, very very good right hand. Quartey had a hard jab but that worked against him in this way; he'd lean his weight way up on the left foot. You can't move in behind a jab when your weight is up there, and you have to rock back to throw a right hand. Against Vince Philips, who kept coming, he could rock back and get his punches off.
    Trinidad used distance real well, he moved good. He'd give Quartey enough to get him really leaning into the jab, his weight up on his left foot. Then he'd slip it and hit Quartey with a hook, and he would hit him very hard because Ike's weight would be on his left foot and he'd have no where to go. If DLH and Lopez could hurt and drop Quartey, Trinidad could too, and he was a finisher. 4-5 rounds, maybe sooner. As soon as he got Ike committing to the jab, which is what Quartey wanted to do anyway, Felix would nail him and the fight would be over.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ike by Decision

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Beanflicker View Post
    Ike by Decision
    You are wrong @greynotsoold is right, learn to accept that and your life would be so much better.

Mentioned
    157 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by greynotsoold View Post
    Trinidad wasn't a slow starter. He took his time and, if you pushed him, he could take his time real fast. Before Trinidad got left hook crazy he was a very very good fighter; moved real well, great jab, very very good right hand. Quartey had a hard jab but that worked against him in this way; he'd lean his weight way up on the left foot. You can't move in behind a jab when your weight is up there, and you have to rock back to throw a right hand. Against Vince Philips, who kept coming, he could rock back and get his punches off.
    Trinidad used distance real well, he moved good. He'd give Quartey enough to get him really leaning into the jab, his weight up on his left foot. Then he'd slip it and hit Quartey with a hook, and he would hit him very hard because Ike's weight would be on his left foot and he'd have no where to go. If DLH and Lopez could hurt and drop Quartey, Trinidad could too, and he was a finisher. 4-5 rounds, maybe sooner. As soon as he got Ike committing to the jab, which is what Quartey wanted to do anyway, Felix would nail him and the fight would be over.
    Boxing is a funny game , Felix couldn't really hurt Oscar , Ike dropped and hurt Oscar.
    Felix destroyed Oba Carr , Ike didn't drop Carr , its a funny old game.
    Verdict - 50/50.
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Master View Post
    Ike by Decision
    You are wrong @greynotsoold is right, learn to accept that and your life would be so much better.
    Bull shit.

Mentioned
    1670 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ike by Decision
    Bull shit.
    Denial will not help you either.

Mentioned
    40 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Spicoli View Post
    Tough. I always hated Bazookas gaps and inactivity between fights but off the top see him the sharper straight hitter. Both guys were not exactly easy to miss when they rushed the onslaught but Quartey has that twister jab. It was almost a brutal rifle barrel. I think one thing that is slept on a bit is Ikes handspeed also..the guy was straight fast like a whip with combos. Tito had the eraser of a left hook, confidence through the roof and the majority of the time when he was decked, he got up clean, quick and rarely badly hurt. Honestly the most trouble I think he was ever in was off Anthony Stephens right hand(s) where he was wobbled and rolled before end. I lean to Ike to get off the floor for late stoppage, tomorrow I'll change my mind
    I think Alberto Cortes hurt him worse than Stevens did. He was damn lucky that took place at the end of the round

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Ike by Decision
    Bull shit.
    Denial will not help you either.

Thread Information