Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hagler: “Sugar Ray ran like a rabbit”

Share/Bookmark
    ICB Guest

Default Hagler: “Sugar Ray ran like a rabbit”

By Ant Evans: Marvelous Marvin Hagler’s contentious 12 round points defeat to nemesis Sugar Ray Leonard took place exactly 20 years ago today (April 6) and has now divided two generations of fight fans. Former welterweight champion Leonard, as you will know, came out of three year retirement to challenge the seemingly unstoppable Hagler at Ceasars Palace in Las Vegas.

http://www.secondsout.com/news/index...s=534&cs=21781

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Hagler: “Sugar Ray ran like a rabbit”

HERE WE GO AGAIN............................................. .......... Ray won that fight.....while many many fans think that Hagler won, MANY also thought Ray did.Non the less, whatta cracking fight it was!

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by cockey cockney
    HERE WE GO AGAIN............................................. .......... Ray won that fight.....while many many fans think that Hagler won, MANY also thought Ray did.Non the less, whatta cracking fight it was!
    I thought Leonard won by 1 round but i don't think it was cracking fight there was maybe 2 rounds that were good but i thought it was quite boring mate.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

That fight, more than any other super-fight of that era, left more than a few people with a bad taste in their mouths. Hagler was strangely "unaggresive", allowing SRL to pull off the decision. It certainly wasn't the Hagler of "Hagler-Hearns", "Hagler-Mugabi", or many other classic Hagler fights. What really happened that night..... only Hagler himself knows.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I thought Hagler won by a point, but he made a fatal mistake in starting out slow and allowing Leonard to build up a lead. He should have jumped all over Leonard, who had fought once in 5 years and was in a new weight class. Hagler came out tight and let Leonard get his feet under him.

ICB Guest

Yep totally Hagler's fault for fighting right handed in early going and trying to box with Leonard he gave away first 4 rounds and didn't do quite enough to win imo.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

So what if Sugar Ray ran like a rabbit?! Hagler should have been more of a greyhound and chased after his prey with more aggression. Its a fight that could have gone either way, but Hagler did start strangely muted....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

He did start out slow, but SRL wasnt exactly putting on a clinic either. SRL ran from the start and only put a combination together here or there, other than that he would try to hit and move with a lot more moving involved.

I watched that fight live on TV and couldnt believe it when they announced the winner. I remember back then thinking Hagler won easily. I have since rewatched it and had Hagler winning 115-113. I still dont see how SRL won that fight.

I think it is sad that this is the fight that SRL hangs his hat on for his career. I have read some interviews were SRL has stated that this fight was his crowning achievement. IMO he just got lucky!!! He didnt put on a boxing clinic or anything close. It was all flash, nothing else.
    You must be the change you want to see in the world. --Mahatma Gandhi

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TyBuff
    He did start out slow, but SRL wasnt exactly putting on a clinic either. SRL ran from the start and only put a combination together here or there, other than that he would try to hit and move with a lot more moving involved.

I watched that fight live on TV and couldnt believe it when they announced the winner. I remember back then thinking Hagler won easily. I have since rewatched it and had Hagler winning 115-113. I still dont see how SRL won that fight.

I think it is sad that this is the fight that SRL hangs his hat on for his career. I have read some interviews were SRL has stated that this fight was his crowning achievement. IMO he just got lucky!!! He didnt put on a boxing clinic or anything close. It was all flash, nothing else.
    Im not defending SRL by any means. Im a huge Hagler fan, but wish he had started quicker as he could easily have done so in order to make the victory clear. Judges suck and in a close fight should not be relied upon and indeed this was one such occasion. If Hagler had pressed those early rounds more then It makes a close fight stand without ANY question.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree. Hagler should have chased him down in the earlier rounds. It was a boring fight.

Mentioned
    82 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

As a big Hagler fan I was real disappointed in the way he fought. Not aggressive enough and let Sugar Ray build up an early lead (like stated above). I have sugar Ray winning by 2 rounds. If Hagler fought smart he would have taken it no prob IMO.
    David Lemieux = Future MW Champ and P4P King

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hagler always had a problem with smart fighters. I remember Kevin Finnigan giving him problems in both fights. take it to Hagler he could Box get him to come to you he had problems maybe because he was a converted southpaw.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hagler is still bleating about Leonard beating him. It was close and quite simply Hagler didn't do enough to win and i think he knows he blew it. Well Marvellous one you could have fought him again 6 months later but you chose to sulk over the decision for the next twenty years...get over it!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by glennf
    Hagler is still bleating about Leonard beating him. It was close and quite simply Hagler didn't do enough to win and i think he knows he blew it. Well Marvellous one you could have fought him again 6 months later but you chose to sulk over the decision for the next twenty years...get over it!
    If you would have read the article you would have noticed that he stated that he was over it and was thankfull that it had happened. He wanted the rematch but SRL didnt take the offer, so Hagler went into complete retirement.
    You must be the change you want to see in the world. --Mahatma Gandhi

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by TyBuff
    Quote Originally Posted by glennf
    If you would have read the article you would have noticed that he stated that he was over it and was thankfull that it had happened. He wanted the rematch but SRL didnt take the offer, so Hagler went into complete retirement.
    Read the article again, Hagler puts a nice spin on it.

Thread Information