Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ever used your boxing skills in a real life scenario?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Ever used your boxing skills in a real life scenario?

I havent but it gives me great confidence in general that i have the ability to whup ass, i also wouldn't use my boxing expertise because it can be dangerous for my opponent.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Ever used your boxing skills in a real life scenario?

Three guys in my gym THIS YEAR alone have stuffed up their fists by hitting things/ people without gloves on. Takes months to recover!

I won't say it can't work but I think I'd hurt my hand because I'd need 100 % perfect skills and a bit of luck to not hurt myself hitting someone.

I'm just beginning to learn a bit of Judo. I think if I had to I'd end up using a combination of things as fast and as hard as possible and then just running.

I like to think that anyway. I wonder if I'd be ready for it when it happened in an unfamiar situation - would I react instantly the way I might if i was sparring? I don't know!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

14 views?
    Last edited by Karas; 02-14-2008 at 02:58 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

ps: dont forget to welcome me on my greet thread! thxs!

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hi Karas,
    Yes, I have used my boxing skills in real-world engagements for self-protection purposes a fair amount of times...

I've made significant adaptations/modifications with my sportive boxing-based skills due to the various differences between the "street" and "sport" arenas. For instance, I use palms instead of fists to reduce the likelihood of breaking my hands. I also don't concern myself with defense (slips, parries, etc) on the street. Instead, I'm all about awareness/assessment, guile, surprise, and offense. And when I have to go physically offensive, I'm all about constant forward pressure and relentless attack until my adversary is sufficiently neutralized.

"Sport" fighting is a symmetrical contest battle; i.e. a give-and-take/back-and-forth match affair with a rhythm and flow far different than "street" fighting. "Street" fighting, on the other hand, is a different "animal." Among other things strategic/tactical, if you understand the all-important pre-fight cues/signs/rituals and utilize them to your advantage, street fighting is often the opposite, a through-and-through asymmetrical engagement; i.e. a one-way demolition.

For self-protection/self-defense purposes, I always proactively maneuver/manipulate volatile situations for an asymmetrical engagement if it degenerates into that, using deception and surprise as precursors when all other peaceful/reasonable options such as avoidance, evasion, deescalation have been exhausted or are not viable due to the circumstances I'm in. When a gratuitous situation has become this dire, I've always employed the most important physical strategy of them all--PREEMPTION (i.e. attacking first off of deception & surprise and clinically blasting my opponent with an accurate, power-based shot to the jaw. With that said, I've ended the majority of my real-world engagements with one punch, either a left hook or left cross. Now, in those rare times when my preemptive strike didn't KO, TKO, or neutralize my adversary sufficiently enough to make a safe escape, I immediately followed-up and barraged my adversary with boxing-based blows in a rapid-fire, relentless, ferocious manner until he was neutralized enough for me to do so.

Knocking someone out with one punch is not as difficult as it might seem. If you can keep your wits about you and pack decent punching power & accuracy, you can easily (relatively speaking) KO a gratuitous/confrontational adversary with one clinical punch. The most difficult aspect for most normal, good, law-abiding citizens is having the courage, the wherewithal to preemptively attack an adversary. There are many fears that abound which cause this hesitation, this deliberation. Anyway...

Karas, I've expounded quite a bit. This is a subject of passionate interest with me. If you are interested in more of this kind of discourse, please visit my website (see my signature below for details).

I've been an obsessive, passionate self-protection based, combat-oriented martial artist for most of my life. I've successfully competed in the sporting arena and in the "street" arena. Whenever anyone asks me what "martial art" to study strictly for self-protection/street fighting purposes, I always say first and foremost Western boxing. On the street, as my mentor Geoff Thompson likes to say, "hands are king." If anyone plays his/her cards right, practically any opponent can be clinically taken out with one punch. And, at the bare minimum, if the preemptive punch doesn't neutralize an opponent sufficiently enough, a follow-up barrage of blows almost always does the trick if the initiative was maintained from the onset.

While I'm proficient in muay Thai, Brazilian jiu-jitsu, and freestyle/folkstyle wrestling among other systems, for me, Western boxing is the foremost system I recommend for self-protection/street fighting. For me, and loads of other more experienced combat martial artists/street fighters, boxing reigns supreme in the "street" arena. Everything else is "support system."

On a final note, take a look at this link to see but one example of what I mean: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKdZg...eature=related

Take Care,
    Lito

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hi Karas,
    Yes, I have used my boxing skills in real-world engagements for self-protection purposes a fair amount of times...

I've made significant adaptations/modifications with my sportive boxing-based skills due to the various differences between the "street" and "sport" arenas. For instance, I use palms instead of fists to reduce the likelihood of breaking my hands. I also don't concern myself with defense (slips, parries, etc) on the street. Instead, I'm all about awareness/assessment, guile, surprise, and offense. And when I have to go physically offensive, I'm all about constant forward pressure and relentless attack until my adversary is sufficiently neutralized.

"Sport" fighting is a symmetrical contest battle; i.e. a give-and-take/back-and-forth match affair with a rhythm and flow far different than "street" fighting. "Street" fighting, on the other hand, is a different "animal." Among other things strategic/tactical, if you understand the all-important pre-fight cues/signs/rituals and utilize them to your advantage, street fighting is often the opposite, a through-and-through asymmetrical engagement; i.e. a one-way demolition.

For self-protection/self-defense purposes, I always proactively maneuver/manipulate volatile situations for an asymmetrical engagement if it degenerates into that, using deception and surprise as precursors when all other peaceful/reasonable options such as avoidance, evasion, deescalation have been exhausted or are not viable due to the circumstances I'm in. When a gratuitous situation has become this dire, I've always employed the most important physical strategy of them all--PREEMPTION (i.e. attacking first off of deception & surprise and clinically blasting my opponent with an accurate, power-based shot to the jaw. With that said, I've ended the majority of my real-world engagements with one punch, either a left hook or left cross. Now, in those rare times when my preemptive strike didn't KO, TKO, or neutralize my adversary sufficiently enough to make a safe escape, I immediately followed-up and barraged my adversary with boxing-based blows in a rapid-fire, relentless, ferocious manner until he was neutralized enough for me to do so.

Knocking someone out with one punch is not as difficult as it might seem. If you can keep your wits about you and pack decent punching power & accuracy, you can easily (relatively speaking) KO a gratuitous/confrontational adversary with one clinical punch. The most difficult aspect for most normal, good, law-abiding citizens is having the courage, the wherewithal to preemptively attack an adversary. There are many fears that abound which cause this hesitation, this deliberation. Anyway...

Karas, I've expounded quite a bit. This is a subject of passionate interest with me. If you are interested in more of this kind of discourse, please visit my website (see my signature below for details).

I've been an obsessive, passionate self-protection based, combat-oriented martial artist for most of my life. I've successfully competed in the sporting arena and in the "street" arena. Whenever anyone asks me what "martial art" to study strictly for self-protection/street fighting purposes, I always say first and foremost Western boxing. On the street, as my mentor Geoff Thompson likes to say, "hands are king." If anyone plays his/her cards right, practically any opponent can be clinically taken out with one punch. And, at the bare minimum, if the preemptive punch doesn't neutralize an opponent sufficiently enough, a follow-up barrage of blows almost always does the trick if the initiative was maintained from the onset.

While I'm proficient in muay Thai, Brazilian jiu-jitsu, and freestyle/folkstyle wrestling among other systems, for me, Western boxing is the foremost system I recommend for self-protection/street fighting. For me, and loads of other more experienced combat martial artists/street fighters, boxing reigns supreme in the "street" arena. Everything else is "support system."

On a final note, take a look at this link to see but one example of what I mean: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKdZg...eature=related
    Click again on the white screen afterwards. To access this video, you'll have to log in or join YouTube. If this doesn't direct you to the video then use the search function and type in "Dual KO Bar Fight" It's worth checking out...

Take Care,
    Lito
    Last edited by StrictlySP; 02-14-2008 at 06:17 AM. Reason: The link wasn't taking me to the specific YouTube video O

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I was jumped in Limerick Ireland last year. This place is known locally as "stab" City or lately "Sawn-off" CXity!

Three guys set after me with a hurl (like a short hockey stick) and a crutch.
    I hospitalised two but was ashamed for using my boxing on the street, particularily as I continued to strike when I had disarmed them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Its inevetible that it might come up.
    You try to avoid the action,not because your afraid,or even because of anything.But if you even hit clubs,sooner or later,your going to have to drop someone.I generally just try to avoid putting myself in the situation.I even try to avoid bars,theres allways some drunk moron with something to prove,and I know myself well enough to know Im not going to back down.The last time it came up it took 4 people to get me in to the car I was so pissed off.Oddly enough the guy who tried to start up with me was easily drug across the street by his 5 foot nothing girlfriend

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Worked the doors for 20 years
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

^
    Nuf said really.

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap View Post
    Worked the doors for 20 years
    Scrap, have you ever heard of Geoff Thompson or read any of his books about working the doors? Awesome!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Its just best to avoid the situation,because your in dutch with the Judge,even if you didnt start it.
    As soon as he hears that youve got so much as medals,you just became the big bad bully in his eyes,let alone if youve got pro bouts under your belt

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

H, met him a few times, not sure what hes about really seems okay.
    Pain lasts a only a minute, but the memory will last forever....

boxingbournemouth - Cornelius Carrs private boxing tuition and personal fitness training

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Scrap View Post
    H, met him a few times, not sure what hes about really seems okay.
    I read his book "Watch my back" thought it was really good, but not sure how much is truth, seems a bit sensationlized.

Check Pms

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hi BIG H,
    Geoff Thompson has been a close friend of mine for many, many years. Out of all the martial artists, boxers, MMA fighters, hardmen I've met and befriended over the years, Geoff is among the very few who I've found to be genuinely honest and down-to-earth with no ego. There are a lot of wackos and quacks in the martial arts world; he is definitely not one of them. Geoff is a good man; one with genuine integrity.

I assure you that everything you read in "Watch My Back" is true. Geoff is not into sensationalizing, exaggerating anything. In fact, he opted to leave out a good amount of experiences and such because of that aspect among other things. Those who are uninitiated/inexperienced with real-world violence would have found some things hard to believe. Geoff wrote the book, in part, to educate the masses on the realities of real-world violence and how to overcome fears and misunderstandings related to these aspects.

Geoff wrote "Watch My Back" over a decade ago (along with most of his other personal combat-oriented books) and, to this day, there are many who still fail to comprehend, accept, and heed the realities and simplicity of his experiences/insights when it comes to self-protection/self-defense. In more ways than one, qualitatively and quantitatively, "less is more" when it comes to real-world personal combat. However, for a good many, "more and complicated is better." As the saying goes, you can lead a horse to water but can't make him drink... And to roughly quote Sir Winston Churchill, "Many men stumble upon the truth then get back up and wander off as though nothing happened." Reality and truth are often too simple to accept and appreciate...

Anyway, take care...

Best Regards,
    Lito

Thread Information