Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is the heavyweight division slowly rebuilding?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Is the heavyweight division slowly rebuilding?

There are number of Soviet boxers who are underrated imo which are lead by Chagaev and Klitschko, then this is Solis who could be an amazing fighter some day. I really think this division is getting some solid fighters who aren't as good as the 90's or 70's, but could compete at the top level in some of the weaker eras.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Is the heavyweight division slowly rebuilding?

I've been saying for awhile that in a couple years it could be back to its glory days.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Can a division be rebuilding for 10 years?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by eagle
    Can a division be rebuilding for 10 years?
    If some football teams can, than its ok for a boxing division.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think in 2000 it was pretty strong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Taeth
    Yeah, it should've went better than it did up to this point. It's on the rebound tho.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Taeth
    You do have a point, maybe it just feels longer since it was a strong div cos its so bad now.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Yeah I hope that changes Chagaev is a really solid technical fighter, maybe the best in the division, but he is so small that I think he will have problems with Klitschko and big punchers. Klitschko is really coming into his own or so it appears. I think Maskaev just has the number of Rahman, and isn't all that special. Ibrigamov or whatever his name that just beat Holyfield is pretty fast, and not a bad tactician. This new guy who beat Chris Byrd looks pretty solid as well. Olawhatever Solis is fast, and strong, and has an incredible amateur background. Samuel Peters IMO is still a solid fighter, and could still be among the very top in the division... McCline was a bad matchup that he wasn't ready for, and he still came back.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I have thought for a long time that the Heavyweight Division Is not terrible as long as we have the top guys fighting one another.The Cream will rise to the top so to speak,Regardless of who they are.
    Its when you have 3 or 4 unknown (unseen) "Champions" who are Defending against "Ken-he Lasst" and "Willhe Gettup" unworthy challengers that People,fans and Networks lose interest and rip division to shreds almost as habit.

Sometimes IMO It becomes a mantra in and of itself..."weak heavy division".
    I believe the Current crop of top heavys are sorting status's out and are not as bad as some make them out to be.
    I will say though,tongue in cheek, that coming from the states you do feel like an Invisible man and left out as far as top contenders go.But thats our problem If we cant produce and sustain a quality threat to defeat Influx of Europens and Soviets......And Its Not Brock,Tua,Rahman or Byrd anymore.
    Dare I mention Huggy-bear John Ruiz ,How about grand daddy's Holyfield or McCall? Tony Thompson? I think This Division Is Getting prepped for a major breakout,as long as top guys want to fight each other (who cares if its a learned spelling and pronunciation)LOL........don't believe the hype.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think it is in a transition stage. We are starting to see the return of the smaller guys like Sultan and Chagev. Well not small in normal terms but compared to the recent years as heavyweights. In another few years when the average heavyweight status is returned 6'0" 6'3" 220lbs-240lbs the fights will be a bit more evenly matched.

I think we became spoiled with all the 6'5"+ 250lb guys and anything other then that just seemed uninteresting. A shame not all those big guys could box?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Well I hope it gets better, and wish Lewis would come out to fight again, just once. They should have a Senior's division like in Golf and Tennis. Maybe give out a belt for the old farts; not WBC or WBO, but a GZR belt Seems ironic in this day of super athletes we can't get a truly great heavyweight on the scene.
    Hidden Content

Marching Towards the Abyss...............

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Body Puncher
    I think it is in a transition stage. We are starting to see the return of the smaller guys like Sultan and Chagev. Well not small in normal terms but compared to the recent years as heavyweights. In another few years when the average heavyweight status is returned 6'0" 6'3" 220lbs-240lbs the fights will be a bit more evenly matched.

I think we became spoiled with all the 6'5"+ 250lb guys and anything other then that just seemed uninteresting. A shame not all those big guys could box?
    I agree here.I really think all of the hype about "The super Heavys" was over done.They may be bigger but buy no means any better.Sometimes theres just more of the "giant hvy" to exploit in the ring.
    Ask Max kellerman where Akinwande,Michael grant,Mount whitaker,D.Jefferson Etc are now?
    Tye fields is a farce.
    Jameel McCline rebounded vs.Peter but make no mistake,He wont stick around.
    Valuev is a giant ogre of a heavy and I can see him getting back in the mix but I think Chagaev layed the blue print for beating him (Ruiz exploited weaknesses too)
    The Exceptions Of course are Klitchkos who could be just as successful if they were 6'0 Imo.Size,big or small means nothing without well rounded skills.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

You are saying this, after the large majority consensus number #2 guy in the world should have lost and was dropped thrice.
    "If there's a better chin in the world than Pryor's, it has to be on Mount Rushmore." -Pat Putnam.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by boozeboxer
    You are saying this, after the large majority consensus number #2 guy in the world should have lost and was dropped thrice.
    Smart post. I don't think the rebuilding is going that great. Povetkin looks like a decent prospect. Ruslan,Ibragimov,Klitchko,Peter,are all good but other than that? I'm still not seeing it.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by boozeboxer
    I'm not a Peter Rah-Rah man but He also got up Thrice,adjusted and boxed smart to a win.
    Breaking Through the stiffest of adversity,making changes when necessary and prevailing is the Highest mark of a champion IMO.

Thread Information