Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: marvin hagler vs roy jones: who would have won and why?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default marvin hagler vs roy jones: who would have won and why?

hello I guys I'm the boxing fan who loves to pit one fighter from one era against another from another.here is my dreamfight:hagler vs roy jones jr.would jones be the first to stop hagler?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: marvin hagler vs roy jones: who would have won and why?

I dont think so. Marvin Hagler may well be the best Middleweight of all time. You can make a case that he should have been undefeated if not for the politics in boxing. And he has that unbelievable chin. He was relentless. Amazing. Have you seen 'The War'? Against Tommy 'Hitman' Hearns. Again Im a big Roy Jones Jr. fan but I highly doubt if he could be in the shoes of Hearns. And Hearns was a phenomenal puncher too. Hagler by late round TKO.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

While i agree with you that Hagler was a beast and an all time great....and that he also faced great fighters like Leonard and Hearns....he never faced such a tremendous athlete like Roy at his prime. Roy was fast, incredible reflexes, and great power. Not saying Marvin couldn't beat Roy...but a prime Roy is hard to beat by anyone. But you are right...Hagler's chin and relentless style was amazing. I just see Roy dancing around him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I'm prob not the best guy to answer this question.
    Dont really like RJJ ( a runner )
    and thought Hagler was a bit plodding.
    But I think RJJ would be too fast and elusive for Hagler.
    If Hagler couldnt catch Leonard,he wouldn't catch RJJ

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I thought that Leonard had everything that Jones did. Hagler was robbed by Leonard, so he may well have found himself on the worng end of a robbery controversial points decision against Jones.

What's undeniable is that Jones would not be able to hurt him, and would probably have been seriously worried about Marvin's firepower.

To me, Hagler was the better fighter.
    If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

ICB Guest

roy jones wins 12 ud but if the fight would of been 15 rounds maybe there is a chance for hagler to tko him

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by X
    I thought that Leonard had everything that Jones did. Hagler was robbed by Leonard, so he may well have found himself on the worng end of a robbery controversial points decision against Jones.

What's undeniable is that Jones would not be able to hurt him, and would probably have been seriously worried about Marvin's firepower.

To me, Hagler was the better fighter.
    This is what Im trying to say. Roy Jones doesnt give much of a difference for Hagler as he have fought Sugar Ray Leonard. And I agree with most fans that he was robbed. I dont think Jones can hide from Hagler cuz Hagler isnt that slow. I love RJJ though and Im sure he wont run from Hagler because he is one proud warrior. He isnt against a heavyweight so he knows he will not look that stupid if he exchange with Hagler. And he wont allow the fans to boo him. So this I say Hagler will win. Styles makes fight and RJJ is just made for Marvin Hagler.

I wished I can give you a cool click

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hagler would, Jones is more chinny than Hearns and not as good SRL
    Hidden Content

Welcome to the 21st Century. No Sex, Drug and Rock'n'Roll. All we have nowadays is AIDS, Meth and Crap Music Hidden Content

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Interesting, considering Hagler done his work at Middleweight and Jones Jnr moved up to … well eventually Heavyweight it’s as I say interesting.

But no, I’m confident Hagler would beat Jones Jnr and it would go to points.

Consider this, Jones didn’t really lose an awful lot of speed as he moved up the weight divisions but at the same time his power didn’t increase much either. Based on these two meeting at Middleweight you would have to say Jones would be lightning quick and would utilise his power best at this sort of weight, but I’ve always said it and I’ll say it again – I think Jones is an incredible fighter and one of the best in the modern generation, but not an all time great,

I think his fight against Ruiz goes along way to summing up his career, he fought a very average fighter and looked fantastic beating him and won the WBA Heavyweight belt.

He’s never fought anybody of the calibre of Hagler, yes he fought Toney but he’s not in the same league as Hagler, the only real name is Hopkins, but that’s not enough because Hopkins is like a fine wine, he got better with age.

So I have to go with Hagler UD over 15 rounds and close decision over 12 rounds.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

This is from my other topic Monzon v Hagler - what happened?

Thanks for the CC's I'm glad some of you appreciate my efforts, can you believe it 61 visits and only 5 posts and 2 of those are mine, but anyway I'm not upset

I think neither the early 80's Leonard or Hearns would have stopped Hagler, I mean they both fought him and I think the outcome's would have been the same. Allthough I'm going to dig out the Hagler v Leonard fight and watch it agian and feature it on my Re-visited section in the future I mean there's still alot of controversy surrounding that fight. I think Roy Jones Jnr is an interesting one becuase he had the skill speed and decent power, but the question is he's never IMO fought anybody near the calibre of Hagler, so would Roy beable to live with "ruff house" tactics? considering that Roy was very good at avoiding shots becuase of his movement and skill, one would think this would go to points but also consider that when Roy's chin has been exposed recently, he’s been knocked out, yes I know age is a factor etc.

But I would say Hagler beats him on points, I think Roy wouldn’t get caught because he would have his movement (one of the reasons Roy has been KO’ed recently is because of his slowing reflexes and movement, his chin was never tested because he wouldn’t allow it to be tested, hence he had the reflexes and movement). I’ll go for Hagler to win a UD over 15 rounds and a close decision over 12 rounds.

ICB Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Realitycheck77
    Interesting, considering Hagler done his work at Middleweight and Jones Jnr moved up to … well eventually Heavyweight it’s as I say interesting.

Consider this, Jones didn’t really lose an awful lot of speed as he moved up the weight divisions but at the same time his power didn’t increase much either. Based on these two meeting at Middleweight you would have to say Jones would be lightning quick and would utilise his power best at this sort of weight, but I’ve always said it and I’ll say it again – I think Jones is an incredible fighter and one of the best in the modern generation, but not an all time great,

I think his fight against Ruiz goes along way to summing up his career, he fought a very average fighter and looked fantastic beating him and won the WBA Heavyweight belt.

He’s never fought anybody of the calibre of Hagler, yes he fought Toney but he’s not in the same league as Hagler, the only real name is Hopkins, but that’s not enough because Hopkins is like a fine wine, he got better with age.

So I have to go with Hagler UD over 15 rounds and close decision over 12 rounds.
    what about

virgil hill
    clinton woods
    glen kelley 28-0 at that time
    montel griffin

all good opponents right there

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ICE COLD BOXING
    Quote Originally Posted by Realitycheck77

what about

virgil hill
    clinton woods
    glen kelley 28-0 at that time
    montel griffin

all good opponents right there
    NO WAY - all the above are decent opponents but that's it!

You say Glen Kelley was 28 - 0 at the time, but that doesn't interest me, remind me who Kelley had fought up until then?

I'm not taking anything away from Jones but at the same time I'm not giving him anything that's not his!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ICE COLD BOXING
    roy jones wins 12 ud but if the fight would of been 15 rounds maybe there is a chance for hagler to tko him
    Spot on brudda

Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by mutt

That's OK - but I can give you one (partially to atone for misunderstanding your Joe Frazier post elsewhere)

If God wanted us to be vegetarians, why are animals made of meat ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by X
    Quote Originally Posted by mutt

That's OK - but I can give you one (partially to atone for misunderstanding your Joe Frazier post elsewhere)

Ahaha. Thanks man! Sometimes, misunderstandings ends up as blessings in disguise

Thread Information