what about you?
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: flyweight, are you interested?

Flyweight has always been one of my favourites but I'm partial to the traditional 8. Jimmy Wilde is in my top 10 all time and Roman Gonzalez who just made the jump up to fly is one of my present favourites to watch. I could watch Lopez all day and he fought at minimum.

If anything I feel for the little guys because they don't get a fraction of the air play or ink that others do.
    In order to watch them one needs or have access to plenty of consistent alternate avenues via this medium. In addition, action wise there is no comparison. Its just hard to get the feeds. But they are around.

WAR THE LITTLE GUYS!!!

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

thing is, even any normal averagly sized, averagely fit fella would probly cause them all sorts of problems at boxing

its like watching women play football, whats the point, me and my mates could win the womens world cup
    Officially the only saddo who has had a girlfriend

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by erics44 View Post
    thing is, even any normal averagly sized, averagely fit fella would probly cause them all sorts of problems at boxing

its like watching women play football, whats the point, me and my mates could win the womens world cup
    I think you are sadly mistaken and with all due respect you cant compare soccer to boxing or any other sport for that matter.

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

With that logic, wouldn't it mean that the only weight class worth watching is heavyweight? Because any average-sized heavyweight would dominate any boxer in a lower division?

I disagree. The weight classes don't affect the quality of the boxing. Frequently, heavyweights are lumbering oafs and flyweights are sublime boxers.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I think your average sized mates would be setting on their butt's if they were stupid enough to get in the ring with any top pro boxer.
    A willingness to swingaway, speed, years of sparing and a willingness to take a punch makes that little guy a huge problem for your average mate.

Mentioned
    123 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Probably the best card of 2012 featured two bouts that were flyweight and light flyweight. Pound for pound I'd argue that Gonzalez Estrada and Viloria Marquez were the two best fights on any one card of the year. You couldn't be a boxing fan and not have been blown away by them.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Was going to post about the same thing Rant did with regards to HW's, your logic doesn't really work there. A good flyweight boxer is still an elite athlete who can do things that very few people can, and matched up against another you see an extremely high level of boxing. It's not the same as women playing physically demanding sports by any stretch of the imagination.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

When I first began watching boxing I had no interest in lower weights. I couldn't pronounce half the names, the mass media was not covering them on a whole and It was constantly drummed into the head that middles and heavys were the only game in town who mattered. Then a guy I traded tapes with would only send guys I refused to ask for. After seeing the ring wizardry of Miguel Canto, Ohba, Yoko Gushiken and Chang for awhile I felt like a tool and opened the mind Some of THE best fights over the last couple of decades have been under 122 or so..easily. Great talent...the last heavyweight title fight I watched literally caused me physical pain and nearly a shattered flatscreen. Don't judge on size but execution of skill brother.
    Had to repost this gem...lemme know how that womens football your watching is working out

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hell mofukin yea homey... im all about the flyweight division and any division near that.. why? Because true sweet science are displayed in those matchups. Youll rarely , if ever, see a flyweight coming in out of shape or throw one punch at a time like those boring ass HW jerkoffs.

Real boxing is in the smaller divisions. Because these guys arent generally blessed with power, they have to hone their skills and be that much more reliant on their craft..

My main focus is on the smaller divisions. Fuck HW

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I agree that the smaller a fighter the more technically sound they have to be, but I prefer anywhere between bantam and middleweight to the really light divisions at the same time. I think there is a different type of skill involved when you introduce more raw power, fights become less about output, the element of one punch changing a fight is very exciting to me. Not that it can't happen at flyweight, it's just rare that guys have consistent one punch power there. Even take Ricardo Lopez, who is literally the most masterful boxer I've ever seen, he wouldn't often land hard enough to put guys in trouble with one shot despite doing everything perfectly.

Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

I disagree with that analogy. First of all, males and females are different in so many ways, especially in a physical sense. Therefore yea, you and your buddies probably could beat a female football team..

But when it comes to man versus man, its a different story especially when we are talking about a sport like boxing..

A joe blow who weighs 160 would get fucked up by a flyweight pro male inside the ring.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Hw has always been my favorite division growing up i mean Holyfeild is my favorite fighter of all time. Hw is one most dangers division because no matter how skilled you are a man over 220 hits your right its over. I like lw, ww, mw, lhw and my favorite is Hw overall even in this not so great time right now.

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    I agree that the smaller a fighter the more technically sound they have to be, but I prefer anywhere between bantam and middleweight to the really light divisions at the same time. I think there is a different type of skill involved when you introduce more raw power, fights become less about output, the element of one punch changing a fight is very exciting to me. Not that it can't happen at flyweight, it's just rare that guys have consistent one punch power there. Even take Ricardo Lopez, who is literally the most masterful boxer I've ever seen, he wouldn't often land hard enough to put guys in trouble with one shot despite doing everything perfectly.
    Most KOs and TKOs are the result from many punches.
    Have never heard anyone say, "If only it had been a one punch KO, it would have been better."
    I like them too, but you don't see them every card and most of the time there is a jab in there.

Mentioned
    86 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by beenKOed View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by p4pking View Post
    Most KOs and TKOs are the result from many punches.
    Have never heard anyone say, "If only it had been a one punch KO, it would have been better."
    I like them too, but you don't see them every card and most of the time there is a jab in there.
    Ali Raymi, a minimum weight just broke the first round knockout record with 20 in a row. Perez could punch at 112 and Wilde was lucky to make 95 pounds fought at fly and put together 100 ko's at times outweighed as much as 30 pounds. I don’t understand the lack of power claims. Weight does not always create power. Power may not be the first thing noticed because their entire game is much more in balance. Higher up you get guys are known for power but in many cases that’s all they got. Nothing to over shadow it or stand out along side it. I'm not a big guy. 5'10 and a buck 70 and God errr evolution blessed me with a solid Celtic chin but I'd wager if that little shrimp Roman Gonzalez nailed me, that I'd wake up on a gurney.

Thread Information