Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Thread: How would Sergio Martinez Compete w/ Top Jr./Middleweights of the last 20 yrs?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default How would Sergio Martinez Compete w/ Top Jr./Middleweights of the last 20 yrs?

Who are the top junior middleweights and middleweights of the last 20 years and how would Sergio Martinez stack up in the ring with them? I'll start off with a rudimentary list. Let me know what you think. I would prefer to confine the list to people who spent a good chunk of their career at junior middleweight or middleweight. How does he compete with the following (in no particular order):
    1. Bernard Hopkins
    2. James Toney
    3. Jermain Taylor
    4. Kelly Pavlik
    5. Julian Jackson
    6. John David Jackson
    7. Jorge Castro
    8. Reggie Johnson
    9. Quincy Taylor
    I'm certain I forgot some names.

Junior middleweights:
    1. Oscar De La Hoya
    2. Felix Trinidad
    3. Fernando Vargas
    4. Terry Norris
    5. Shane Mosley
    6. Winky Wright
    7. Gianfranco Rossi
    8. Julio Cesar Vasquez
    9. Laurent Boudouani
    Last edited by Rantcatrat; 03-23-2012 at 07:59 PM.

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: How would Sergio Martinez Compete w/ Top Jr./Middleweights of the last 20 yrs?

I was wondering the same thing while watching Martinez fight Macklin, how would he have done against Felix Trinidad ?

There's a good chance he'd outbox Tito silly, BUT if he got caught with a left hook he might be done. Martinez has a solid chin, but Tito is one of the hardest punchers of all time.

Same scenario with Julian Jackson, though people say Jackson was an even bigger puncher than Tito !

Martinez vs. Vargas would have been exciting.

I figure Martinez would outbox sluggers like Castro, Yori Boy Campas, those types.

He could outwork the defensive style of Winky Wright as well, I don't know.

Not sure if Martinez could beat Terry Norris as he's widely regarded as the best 154 lber ever.

Martinez vs. John David Jackson could be exciting like a match with Vargas would be, tho Jackson didn't have the best chin. He was very talented.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: How would Sergio Martinez Compete w/ Top Jr./Middleweights of the last 20 yrs?

Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post
    Who are the top junior middleweights and middleweights of the last 20 years and how would Sergio Martinez stack up in the ring with them? I'll start off with a rudimentary list. Let me know what you think. I would prefer to confine the list to people who spent a good chunk of their career at junior middleweight or middleweight. How does he compete with the following (in no particular order):
    1. Bernard Hopkins UD loss
    2. James Toney UD loss
    3. Jermain Taylor UD loss/KO win
    4. Kelly Pavlik UD win
    5. Julian Jackson KO loss
    6. John David Jackson
    7. Jorge Castro
    8. Reggie Johnson
    9. Quincy Taylor

Junior middleweights:
    1. Oscar De La Hoya KO loss
    2. Felix Trinidad KO loss
    3. Fernando Vargas KO loss
    4. Terry Norris KO loss
    5. Shane Mosley KO loss
    6. Winky Wright UD loss
    7. Gianfranco Rossi
    8. Julio Cesar Vasquez
    9. Laurent Boudouani
    overrated.

Mentioned
    159 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
    I was wondering the same thing while watching Martinez fight Macklin, how would he have done against Felix Trinidad ?

There's a good chance he'd outbox Tito silly, BUT if he got caught with a left hook he might be done. Martinez has a solid chin, but Tito is one of the hardest punchers of all time.

Same scenario with Julian Jackson, though people say Jackson was an even bigger puncher than Tito !

I figure Martinez would outbox sluggers like Castro, Yori Boy Campas, those types.

Not sure if Martinez could beat Terry Norris as he's widely regarded as the best 154 lber ever.

Martinez vs. John David Jackson could be exciting like a match with Vargas would be, tho Jackson didn't have the best chin. He was very talented.
    Julian Jackson hits harder than anyone at any weight , thats why people say that.

FACT !
    Remember reality is an illusion caused by a lack of alcohol .

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Lord Al View Post

Julian Jackson hits harder than anyone at any weight , thats why people say that.

FACT !
    lol

Alright calm down. I believe you.

I woulda loved to see him and Nigel Benn get into a good "tear up".
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    32 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ruthless rocco View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Rantcatrat View Post
    1. Bernard Hopkins UD loss
    2. James Toney UD loss
    3. Jermain Taylor UD loss/KO win
    4. Kelly Pavlik UD win
    5. Julian Jackson KO loss
    6. John David Jackson
    7. Jorge Castro
    8. Reggie Johnson
    9. Quincy Taylor

Junior middleweights:
    1. Oscar De La Hoya KO loss
    2. Felix Trinidad KO loss
    3. Fernando Vargas KO loss
    4. Terry Norris KO loss
    5. Shane Mosley KO loss
    6. Winky Wright UD loss
    7. Gianfranco Rossi
    8. Julio Cesar Vasquez
    9. Laurent Boudouani
    overrated.
    I don't really see the overrated part when the only people you pick to beat him are either already in the Hall of Fame, or will most likely be in the Hall of Fame. It's not a bad bunch to lose to. I also don't really disagree with most of your picks. I think he would have beat Fernando Vargas and probably Tito Trinidad. He may also have beat Oscar De La Hoya, but I'm split on that. I'm actually split on Tito too. Remember that the late great Vernon Forrest avoided Martinez prior to his untimely death. Bhop and Toney beat him, agree with you there. Julian Jackson probably beats him, but Julian Jackson's chin could be dented. I lean toward Jackson at the end of the day too. Again, Jackson is in the Hall. I like Sergio over Jermain Taylor and Kelly Pavlik.

Mentioned
    84 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

martinez gets hit too often to withstand fighters like trinidad and vargas. he gets ko'd first.

he's overrated because people aren't thinking critically about his level of competition in relation to how's he's performed against that level of competition.

he may be the best at his chosen weight right now...but that doesn't mean he isn't overrated.

Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ruthless rocco View Post
    martinez gets hit too often to withstand fighters like trinidad and vargas. he gets ko'd first.

he's overrated because people aren't thinking critically about his level of competition in relation to how's he's performed against that level of competition.

he may be the best at his chosen weight right now...but that doesn't mean he isn't overrated.

Agreed completely. There is no way in hell he would beat Trinidad or Vargas in the form that those two fought each other, even if he weren't knocked senseless I think Vargas would have won over 12. I don't know whether anyone actually rates his boxing skills or not(they shouldn't), but he is obviously very athletic and that is enough to beat most anyone around 160 these days.

Mentioned
    1672 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Sergio would lose against Bernard Hopkins, peak James Toney, and may be Jermaine Taylor at his best which was a short peak. I think Sergio would beat Kelly Pavlik, Julian Jackson in an exciting fight as well as John David Jackson, Jorge Castro, Reggie Johnson and Quincy Taylor.

I know Sergio is willing to fight at light middle but do not think he could beat a peak Oscar De La Hoya, Felix Trinidad, Fernando Vargas, Terry Norris Winky Wright but he may be able to handle Shane Mosley who was never a great light middle anyway. Segio should be able to beat Gianfranco Rossi, do not know about Julio Cesar Vasquez, who was very strong at the weight but would beat Laurent Boudouani.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Mentioned
    530 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Lord Al View Post

FACT !
    lol

Alright calm down. I believe you.

I woulda loved to see him and Nigel Benn get into a good "tear up".

I didn't see much of Julian Jackson... but from the little I saw, the guy could BANG. Must be a Caribbean thing, 'cause Julian is from the neighboring US Virgin Islands, and of course Tito is from right here in Puerto Rico.
    Attached Images

Mentioned
    1672 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Remember Sergio beating our Richard Williams, who was a good fighter, twice. Even then Sergio looked something special.
    Do not let success go to your head and do not let failure get to your heart.

Thread Information