Mentioned
    197 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Sports biggest chokers

American football's Minnesota Vikings, check this mess out:

On January 27, 1984, Bud Grant retired as head coach of the Vikings. With a career regular-season record of 151–87–5 (.632) in 17 seasons with Minnesota, Grant led the franchise to 12 playoff appearances, 11 division titles, and four Super Bowls.

How many did they win? (0).
    Years later with 3 WRs Cris Carter, Jake Reed & Randy Moss & a rejuvenated Randall Cunningham@ QB...&!!!!! A defense ranked top 3....they went to 15-1
    with a kicker named Gary Anderson....made EVERY flippin KICK ALL Season long!!!!!
    Loss their first playoff game with season low yardage passing running...and all.
    ALL they needed was a field goal within 30 yards.

Guess what happened....
    Hail to the Minnesota (CHO)kings.
    All's lost! Everything's going to shit!

Mentioned
    197 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: Sports biggest chokers

Haven't verified it yet......
    But I think that one playoff game Brett Favre won as their QB....was the last time they won a playoff game dating back to Budd Grant with Fran Tarkenton.

Next season it was revealed the defense next game got paid to take Favre out.
    He layed up with black eyes like he was in a boxing match.
    They were penalized...but they should have been kicked out of the NFL. At least the coach.

Vikings talked Favre into leaving his new job cutting grass for his old high school.
    That season they couldn't even win 5 games.
    Chokers for real. Or is it the city/state got a mojo??

El Kabong Guest

The Buffalo Bills, the 4 falls of Buffalo man

The Atlanta Braves how many pennants did they win only to earn 1 World Series ring?

The Cleveland Browns, the prevent defense vs the Broncos and Elway just picked them apart

The New York Yankees in 2004 up 3-0 vs the MIGHTY Boston Red Sox and they couldn't close it out with 2 outs in the 9th in game 4

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Jimmy White - six world finals and six defeats (two of those he blew rather than the other guy won)

Jean Van De Velde - think it was 99 and a double bogey on the 72nd hole at The Open would have been enough to win.

One of the most dramatic collapses i've ever seen in sport that and I don't really watch golf. Probably made him more famous though !
    Don't bully fat kids - they've got enough on their plate

El Kabong Guest

Speaking of golf, Greg Norman.....woah nellie did he blow up

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

England's football team. 50 years since they won their only tournament, and that one was in their backyard with a dodgy goal changing the game. Not one final since , in fact only 2 semi finals (again, one in their backyard) and they're supposed to be one of the World's footballing "Superpowers"!! Sorry, but it's true.

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Andy Murray. I love him to bits but the number of times I have seen him get to the final and lose is a bit like Groundhog Day. I have vowed to avoid Wimbledon.

Mentioned
    98 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    Andy Murray. I love him to bits but the number of times I have seen him get to the final and lose is a bit like Groundhog Day. I have vowed to avoid Wimbledon.
    Bit harsh on Murray. If you said Henman, I'd be with you all the way. But I think we'll soon realise that Murray is getting beat by 3 of the Greatest men ever to play the game in Fed, Nadal & Djokovic.
    They're simply better than him and that's it.

Mentioned
    197 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Mark TKO View Post
    Jimmy White - six world finals and six defeats (two of those he blew rather than the other guy won)

Jean Van De Velde - think it was 99 and a double bogey on the 72nd hole at The Open would have been enough to win.

One of the most dramatic collapses i've ever seen in sport that and I don't really watch golf. Probably made him more famous though !
    Wow!
    Now I have to learn what a bogey....and relate 99 to it!!!!
    And....71 holes....and he wanted to go to a 72nd?
    Not like boxing i take it. If so I'd imagine a golfer could knock it out the park alaTysonesque golfer ...
    would hit the ball past at least......past......30 holes. Finish the game in 10 minutes.
    72 holes? WTF?

Mentioned
    950 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Primo Carnera View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf View Post
    Bit harsh on Murray. If you said Henman, I'd be with you all the way. But I think we'll soon realise that Murray is getting beat by 3 of the Greatest men ever to play the game in Fed, Nadal & Djokovic.
    They're simply better than him and that's it.
    Murray gets emotional. He is just as good as them as seen in the first set against Djokovic and the recent win in a lessser tournament, but he seems to get anxious on the big day whence the choking. I think he is a superb player, but then he starts talking to himself you know he is doubting and churning.

Thread Information