Boxing Forums

User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What if Arturo Gatti had fought one of the big 3 at 140 ?

Share/Bookmark
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default What if Arturo Gatti had fought one of the big 3 at 140 ?

Gatti was very well managed when he had a 140 lb title. Thats not to say he fought bums, the man faced the best of the best in Floyd Mayweather.

However Gatti never got around to fighting Zab Judah, Sharmba Mitchell or Kosta Tzyu.

But, what if Gatti had faced one of those 3 ?

Which one would he have had the best chance of beating ?

I'd say his best shot was against Sharmba Mitchell, who could be a brilliant boxer, but ran hot and cold often in his career. Mitchell also lacked a big punch unlike Judah and Tzyu.
    "You knocked him down...now how bout you try knockin me down ?"

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Default Re: What if Arturo Gatti had fought one of the big 3 at 140 ?

Quote Originally Posted by Hulk View Post
    Gatti was very well managed when he had a 140 lb title. Thats not to say he fought bums, the man faced the best of the best in Floyd Mayweather.

However Gatti never got around to fighting Zab Judah, Sharmba Mitchell or Kosta Tzyu.

I'd say his best shot was against Sharmba Mitchell, who could be a brilliant boxer, but ran hot and cold often in his career. Mitchell also lacked a big punch unlike Judah and Tzyu.
    I agree. He would have had the proverbial puncher's chance against Judah too, given Judah's weak chin and lapses in concentration.

But I wouldn't actually favor him to win any of those fights. (And I'd give him virtually zero chance against Tsyu.)

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by shza View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Hulk View Post

I agree. He would have had the proverbial puncher's chance against Judah too, given Judah's weak chin and lapses in concentration.

But I wouldn't actually favor him to win any of those fights. (And I'd give him virtually zero chance against Tsyu.)
    Definately would have a punchers chance against Mitchell or Judah. But, the thing with Judah is that he was just so blinding fast. Gatti was always kind of average or slow fighter so I don't know if he would be able to land on him. Ward certainly couldn't get much done against a young Judah in 98.

Tzyu was a tough fighter to face because of his big punch, very solid chin and way he went about picking opponents apart.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Like you guys above I think Gatti's best chance would be against Mitchell then a very small one against Judah and next to zero against Tszyu.
    He Who Is Brave Is Free

Wisdom, compassion and courage are the three universally recognised moral qualities of men.

Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Agreed his stand in front style wouldnt of fazed Tszyu probably would of been quite a one way fight and messy.

Judah more cagey and leery , so would of lasted longer and probably be the better to watch.

Mitchell who knows on the day, could of been a real bang up
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Mitchell actually did okay in the first Tszyu fight, he was pulverised in fight number 2. Gatti V Tszyu wouldv'e been exciting, they talked about doing it, but i think Tszyu's lay off due to injury prevented it happening. Can't see Gatti beating Tszyu, he just would've got hit way to often and hard. I am more suprised that Mitchell V Judah never happened?

Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by THE THIRD MAN View Post
    Mitchell actually did okay in the first Tszyu fight, he was pulverised in fight number 2. Gatti V Tszyu wouldv'e been exciting, they talked about doing it, but i think Tszyu's lay off due to injury prevented it happening. Can't see Gatti beating Tszyu, he just would've got hit way to often and hard. I am more suprised that Mitchell V Judah never happened?
    Yeah for a little while it seemed like Judah and Tszyu were avoiding Sharmba Mitchell. And that he might be the best in the division.

This was dispelled of course after the Mitchell lost twice to Tszyu.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Saw a Gatti interview the other day from around 1997, talking about a possible matchup with Prince Naseem. Gatti was fighting at 130 at that point, Naz was at 126 and had just debuted in the US.

That fight would have been great fun.

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

surprisingly enough I think the best match-up for him would have been Tszyu, mainly cause Kostya didn't have much speed and was a bit flat in movement, not saying that the man couldn't box but he wasn't necessarily a light footed fighter who had flashy combos, Gatti would have a hand speed advantage and at 140 had underrated foot movement and boxing ability, Kostya probably would have won down the stretch in a war, but Gatti had a very good chin and IMO would have stuck with Tsyzu to the end of the 12th losing a close decision

Judah probably would have done a Mayweather or possibly hurt him worse cause he's a southpaw, and IMO Gatti had enough to probably beat Mitchell

Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

other Gatti fights that were always talked about happening but never did were Gatti/Hatton and Gatti/Cotto at 140

if Gatti would have been able to keep up with Hatton's tempo it would have been Gatti/Ward all over again, the cutman would end up determining the winner, and well IMO Cotto/Gatti would have been a blow out for Cotto if it was the Miguel who was able to make 140 without hurting his stamina (Cotto before the Pinto fight)

Mentioned
    448 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by ElTerribleMorales View Post
    surprisingly enough I think the best match-up for him would have been Tszyu, mainly cause Kostya didn't have much speed and was a bit flat in movement, not saying that the man couldn't box but he wasn't necessarily a light footed fighter who had flashy combos, Gatti would have a hand speed advantage and at 140 had underrated foot movement and boxing ability, Kostya probably would have won down the stretch in a war, but Gatti had a very good chin and IMO would have stuck with Tsyzu to the end of the 12th losing a close decision

Judah probably would have done a Mayweather or possibly hurt him worse cause he's a southpaw, and IMO Gatti had enough to probably beat Mitchell
    I agree on Tszyus speed, he was more about perfect timing and execution after wearing people down.
    Hidden Content " border="0" />

I can explain it.
    But I cant understand it for you.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Quote Originally Posted by Andre View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ElTerribleMorales View Post

I agree on Tszyus speed, he was more about perfect timing and execution after wearing people down.
    Tszyu had that ability to cut off the ring with faster opponents, all of whom failed. For Gatti to win against Tszyu he would have to stand in front of him and just go for it, boxers never stood a chance against Tszyu, but Gatti could mix it up and he was no slouch in the fighting department. It wouldv'e been a great fight in 2003 or 04. Tszyu's lost years. Tszyu catches him eventually by mid rounds pretty much like Floyd and Oscar did.

Mentioned
    428 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Scratching a hole right through my head on these honestly. I can't for the life of me discount Gatti at 140 removed from first Ward fight having a serious go at any. One thing that I think is always over looked and tossed out is that Gatti -had- some pretty dern good hand speed and knew how to box. He wasn't a thudding slow plodder -always- taking three to give one...I know it sound nuts.

Mitchell had preservation probs after Kostya one. He really looked to extend things and seemed to be watching the clock. Southpaw style and while he was crisp he could be taken off stride and got a lil roughed up by Ndou leading right to Kostya peeling him off the bottom of his boot in rematch. Mentally and hooks I give to Gatti though he'd have to cut him off and then down and I think he could.....and who was Judah fielding punches from that saw him as a sure thing? He'd been put on his wallet earlier vs lesser guys and as was proven in the chicken dance he lacked the mental make up to have a fire fight and or absord a stiff ooopsy shot from a banger like Arturo. Maybe career hindsight handcuffs Zab but this too would have been a marquee major name. For hands and guaranteed four rounds I go Judah...after that as history would prove, all bets are off.

Kostya vs Gatti would have been a Sat night delight. Flip a coin...honestly. I could easily see Gatti playing the boxer to Tszyus extended jab and sliding foot. In close I think Kostya wrecks his body but again, as with the others, they had not imo faced an equal in proven all out one shot hitter as Gatti presented, and he knew how to position it. Kostya was off layoffs and would not be facing a guy throwing nerfballs like a Tackie or Leija. I can see Tzsyu being head strong-focused enough and deliberate to get to Gatti as it went much more than a Judah or Mitchell. He'd take lumps and might even get dropped but his short busting punches do a number on Gatti....It may of all been moot though after Gatti vs Ward 1...no doubt those two needed to rematch and were tied together after that. Still not convinced third had to happen...think HBO pressed harder than anyone else involved.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Punch Power
    Cool Clicks

Gatti/Hatton had potential

El Kabong Guest

Quote Originally Posted by armyash View Post
    Gatti/Hatton had potential
    I always wanted to see that happen!

Gatti vs Diego Corrales or Gatti vs Jose Luis Castillo would have been wars too.

Thread Information